Is pbrower2a's "major air hub" theory one of the dumbest things posted here?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:59:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is pbrower2a's "major air hub" theory one of the dumbest things posted here?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is pbrower2a's "major air hub" theory one of the dumbest things posted here?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Is pbrower2a's "major air hub" theory one of the dumbest things posted here?  (Read 2858 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2009, 10:03:56 AM »

Yes. I had to seriously roll my eyes reading that.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 10:10:13 AM »

yes, and it's easily invalidated by the election of Bill Clinton in 1992: Arkansas doesn't have any major air hubs, and air travel was at least as important a part of campaigns then as it is now.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 10:27:16 AM »

Link?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 11:15:40 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=104956.0
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 11:22:01 AM »

Seriously what's next? The dance theory?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 11:32:18 AM »

No, it may have had something to it in the 1930's.

Seriously though, organizational efficiency of staff is usually a necessary, not sufficient, conditions for a successful campaign. You can have the most efficient staff possible and best internal organization possible, but if you're not successfully organizing among voters, what's the point? Al Gore may have won some staff convenience points for locating his campaign HQ in DC in 2000, but it was outweighed by being far away from his home state, a battleground state. What's more important is that your supporters are geographically concentrated or otherwise easy to organize.

There is something to pbrower's point in the sense that you don't want to be too disconnected from larger metropolitan areas. That is one reason Sarah Palin resigned as Governor of Alaska. Having a full time job in what is geographically the equivalent of a foreign country half a continent away will put a crimp on one's Presidential ambitions.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 12:07:53 PM »

It's unintelligible.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 12:38:02 PM »

What? His argument makes perfect sense, if overstated. If the campaign senior staff has to take a two hour drive just to fly anywhere else it would be an organizational nightmare for the campaign and would have definite repercussions.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 12:42:26 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2009, 12:44:54 PM by Lunar »

I don't see why campaigns can't just move to a major air hub, I mean, the McCain campaign was not ran out of Arizona, but rather Arlington (I think).  I mean, I'm sympathetic to the idea, after living an hour and a half from both the Sacramento and Reno airports for the vast majority of my life, it's really inconvenient.

But I really doubt that matters when it comes to selecting a VP.  I bet having a rural sheepraper as your VP probably gives you a better image boost than someone who lives within a half-hour of LAX, O'Hare or JFK.  I mean, the vetting process is more complex if you select a rural sheepraper, but that seems about it.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 12:49:31 PM »

It's a minor concern, especially for a sitting Senator like Thune who could just as easily run his campaign out of DC.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 12:52:18 PM »

Well, I give him points for creativity.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 01:58:40 PM »

What? His argument makes perfect sense, if overstated. If the campaign senior staff has to take a two hour drive just to fly anywhere else it would be an organizational nightmare for the campaign and would have definite repercussions.

But it fails because a person is on the road or flying all the time during a campaign around the country. How much time did Palin spend in Alaska during the campaign? Not much I'm sure. Furthermore it also forgets that Senators can simply base themselves out of DC and Governors out of the state capital. No seriously political figure has no connections to a major air hub.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 09:07:33 PM »

This probably tops the list of stupid things Pbrower has said.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 10:58:59 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2009, 11:01:22 PM by ShadowOfTheWave »

Yes, he is clearly a jackass with absolutely no life. I believe that the idea of the thread was whether or not Thune would compliment Romney on the ticket, not whether it would put the Dakotas in play. However, in pbrower2a's mind everything is about electoral votes, and which way a state will vote, which explains his asinine maps he makes on every thread, 3 years before the next election.

Actually, I believe in a thread earlier this year he said 'we may be entering a era of good feeling' which may be even more retarded than believing that they would consider the air travel in a state before picking a running mate.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 11:25:23 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2009, 11:27:09 PM by Lunar »

I think BRTD and I see 99% eye to eye on most vice presidential theories, I'm not quite as passionate as he is, but still get a bit freaked out how wild people's imaginations go.  I mean, the "Home State" theory where selecting a VP from a battleground state is the most desirable attribute (more so than chemistry with the P, message skills, etc) hasn't been the case since at least the 1980s if not 1960 alltogether....the press may be retarded but they're still going to treat selecting a VP candidate from Ohio or Florida as ridiculous...Clinton and Gore broke a model that said you couldn't have two Southern Democrats on the same ticket.  Barack and Joe broke a model that saidd you couldn't have two non-Southern Democrats on the same ticket.   We've had Delaware, Alaska, Wyoming of late, something tells me that populous states don't have a huge advantage.

As far as I am concerned, the ONLY theory that's true about VP selection is that the best vice presidential nominee is one that never makes the news in any way whatsoever, short if diving in front of a school bus to stop a ray of bullet fire.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 03:32:19 AM »

Did calling him on it require an entire thread?  Starting a thread just to make fun of somebody else in the forum is a pretty low class move.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 01:29:29 PM »

Do candidates even spend a significant amount of time in their national headquarters?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 02:07:07 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2009, 02:12:33 PM by King of the Bicep Curl »

Yes, because it implies that a presidential candidate is only limited to the destinations of the carriers at that airport.  Virtually all candidates these days use private transportation.  They can fly wherever they want as long as they have the fuel and the runway.

And while only major cities like Chicago have the passenger terminal capable of unloading a commercial 757, any small municipal airport or even an Air Force Base, if the candidate can get clearance to do so, has the runway and fuel available to service the departure and landing of a private use jetliner to and from anywhere in the country.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 02:20:25 PM »

Pbrower is one of the dumbest people to ever post here. No question about it.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 02:40:20 PM »

Pbrower is one of the dumbest people to ever post here. No question about it.

I wouldn't say dumb. Just blinded by idealogical and party rage.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies