5 Things the US Can Learn from China
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:43:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  5 Things the US Can Learn from China
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 5 Things the US Can Learn from China  (Read 675 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 15, 2009, 07:22:23 PM »

1. Be Ambitious
One day this summer, Sean Maloney, an executive vice president at Intel, was bouncing from one appointment to another in northeastern China, speeding along in a van traversing newly built highways. He gazed out at one of the world's biggest construction projects: a network of high-speed train lines — covering 10,000 miles (16,000 km) nationwide — that China is building. As far as the eye could see, there sat vast concrete support struts, one after another, exactly 246 ft. (75 m) apart. Each was full of steel cables and weighed about 800 tons. "We used to build stuff too," Maloney mused, unprompted. "But now it's NIMBY [not in my backyard] every time you try to do something. Here," he joked, "it's more like IMBY. There's stuff happening here, everywhere and always."

2. Education Matters
On a recent Saturday afternoon, at a nice restaurant in central Shanghai, Liu Zhi-he sat fidgeting at the table, knowing that it was about time for him to leave. All around him sat relatives from an extended family that had gathered for a momentous occasion: the 90th birthday of Liu's great-grandmother Ling Shu Zhen, the still spry and elegant matriarch of a sprawling clan. But Liu had to leave because it was time for him to go to school. This Saturday, as he does every Saturday, Liu was attending two special classes. He takes a math tutorial, and he studies English.

Liu is 7 years old.

3. Look After the Elderly
it's hard to imagine two societies that deal with their elderly as differently as the U.S. and China. And I can vouch for that firsthand. My wife Junling is a Shanghai native, and last month for the first time we visited my father at a nursing home in the U.S. She was shaken by the experience and later told me, "You know, in China, it's a great shame to put a parent into a nursing home." In China the social contract has been straightforward for centuries: parents raise children; then the children care for the parents as they reach their dotage. When, for example, real estate developer Jiang Xiao Li and his wife recently bought a new, larger apartment in Shanghai, they did so in part because they know that in a few years, his parents will move in with them. Jiang's parents will help take care of Jiang's daughter, and as they age, Jiang and his wife will help take care of them. As China slowly develops a better-funded and more reliable social-security system for retirees — which it has begun — the economic necessity of generations living together will diminish a bit. But no one believes that as China gets richer, the cultural norm will shift too significantly.

4. Save More
You've now heard it so many times, you can probably repeat it in your sleep. President Obama will no doubt make the point publicly when he gets to Beijing: the Chinese need to spend more; they need to consume more; they need — believe it or not — to become more like Americans, for the sake of the global economy.

And it's all true. But the other side of that equation is that the U.S. needs to save more. For the moment, American households actually are doing so. After the personal-savings rate dipped to zero in 2005, the shock of the economic crisis last year prompted people to snap shut their wallets. Now that it's pouring, in other words, American households have decided to save for a rainy day. The savings rate is currently about 4% and has gone as high as 6% this year.

In China, the household-savings rate exceeds 20%.

5. Look over the Horizon
The energy that so many outsiders feel when they are in China and that President Obama may see when he is there comes not just from the frenetic activity that is visible everywhere. It comes also from a sense that it's harnessed to something bigger. The government isn't frantically building all this infrastructure just to create make-work jobs. And kids aren't studying themselves sleepless because it's a lot of fun. A few years ago, I interviewed Zhang Xin, a young man from a deeply poor agricultural province in central China. His parents were wheat farmers and lived in a tiny one-room house next to the fields. He had graduated from Tsinghua University — China's MIT — and gotten a job as a software engineer at Huawei, the Cisco of China. His success, Zhang told me one day, had changed his family forever. None of his descendants would "ever work in the wheat fields again. Not my children. Not their children. That life is over." (And neither would his parents. They moved to prosperous Shenzhen, just north of Hong Kong, soon after he started his new job.)

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1938671-4,00.html#ixzz0WyfNTDMl
titaniumtux
Rookie
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: 9.10, S: -5.13

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 07:53:45 PM »

I sort of agree.

1. Entrepreneurship has severely been compromised in China since communism. The truly successful Chinese (career-wise) in Asia are the Taiwanese and Singaporeans.

2. Communist countries have a fetish for education, and education in communist countries have their pros and cons. I can find you thousands of Cubans who are fluent in not only Spanish, but also English, French, German, Italian and some even know Russian fairly well. Language is pretty much their only tangible skill they can take to other job markets, because I doubt Western countries will accept their academic credentials. The Chinese are no exception to education. Again, Taiwan and Singapore are the closest "Chinese" countries/geo-political regions to achieve international standards for education. Japan and (as a fairly distant second) South Korea have some of the best education systems in the world, let alone Asia. If you want to bank in on communist education, invest in Vietnam.

3. Yes, the Asians are the best at taking care of the elderly. It's no surprise that countless Westerners retire to Asia.

4. They are fairly good with money, along with strategizing pretty much everything else.

5. Sounds like you're just elaborating on your first point.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 11:26:52 AM »

3. Yes, the Asians are the best at taking care of the elderly. It's no surprise that countless Westerners retire to Asia.

Um, Westerners retire to Asia for the Asian poonanny, tit.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 12:28:20 PM »

Um, Westerners retire to Asia for the Asian poonanny, tit.

haha
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies