The Second Term of Gerald Ford
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:13:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Second Term of Gerald Ford
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Poll
Question: How late do you want this TL to go?
1976-1988

1976-1996

1976-2004

THIS TL NEEDS TO STOP RIGHT NOW!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: The Second Term of Gerald Ford  (Read 66842 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 15, 2009, 09:49:25 PM »
« edited: November 15, 2009, 10:24:22 PM by Dallasfan65 »

Please. Think about the party. If I win this election, I'll do my best to adopt some of your policies..

That's not quite going to cut it, Gerald. I can't stand by and watch our party go further left; your selection of a vice-president has done just that.

If that's the case, I'll replace him on the ticket. I'll even campaign for you so you can make a senatorial bid and remain viable.

Very well... I'll step aside, for the sake of our party.

Reagan endorsing Ford at the 1976 Republican National Convention.

In his acceptance speech, Ford repudiates Richard Nixon and promises that his Attorney General will prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law.

He also announces the selection of Kansas Senator Bob Dole as his runningmate.

President Gerald Ford/Senator Bob Dole(R), 284 EV, 52% PV
Governor James E. Carter/Senator Walter Mondale(D), 254 EV, 47.5% PV

Ford promises to continue the policy of detente and ultimately his hardline against the former president improves his numbers. Jimmy Carter's image as a Washington outsider is not enough to win. It is a close election, but in the end Ford prevails.

More to come soon. (Feedback would be appreciated)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 10:20:54 PM »

Cool. Smiley
Historico
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 08:19:29 AM »

Cool Start, just know on this board alot of people have attempted to do a Ford Second Term only to fail lol...You should be able to get this finished though lol
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 11:00:20 AM »
« Edited: December 16, 2009, 08:29:02 PM by Dallasfan65 »

There would only be a few changes to the Ford Cabinet. For one, he would be replacing his Attorney General, Edward Levi, with an infamous face..

Leon Jaworski, the prosecutor in the Watergate Scandal. Leon was known to have supported Republicans in the past, and Ford felt comfortable with him in the administration.

He would also be appointing his former Vice President, Nelson Rockefeller, as ambassador to the United Nations, replacing William Scranton.

Even before the election, Secretary of State Henry Kissinger had privately told Ford he would be resigning after the election. Ford had tapped Senate Minority Leader Howard Baker. However, Baker was uninterested in the position, in hopes that he could work hard as Minority Leader and eventually gain a majority in the Senate. So, instead, he appointed defeated Senator James L. Buckley of New York, as a means to appease the conservative wing of the party.

1976 Senate Elections

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 12:46:42 PM »

Nixon could not be prosecuted

He was already pardoned
Captain Chaos
GZ67
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 12:52:12 PM »

So far, so good. I do have issue with the following:

1. President Ford would never offer Sec of State to Jimmy Carter. There were plenty of Republicans wh owould be qualified for that job (I agree that Rockefeller would have accepted the ambassadorship to the UN).

2. Arizona Senate race: No way in heck would Sam Steiger win. Goldwater hated his guts and would have not lifted a finger for him (same as OTL).

3. Hawaii Senate race: Why would Hiram Fong not retire in 1976? He already served three terms and nearly lost reelection in 1970.

Otherwise, keep it coming.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 01:12:01 PM »

Interesting. Actually very good, since he would saved us from Reagan... Tongue
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 09:31:15 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2009, 09:33:08 PM by Dallasfan65 »

i decided to heed your advice, GZ, and made some modifications. Kal, in this TL Ford does not pardon Nixon. ill have an update either tonight or tomorrow.

i'll admit i'm a bit of a novice, so advice is greatly appreciated on where you guys have think i've erred.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 09:48:58 PM »

You're welcome Smiley Waiting for more
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 06:29:29 AM »

If Ford had not pardoned Nixon, he would have lost the election for sure. The last thing any President needs is a former incumbent President  of his same party standing on trial or even going to jail on an election year.
vdkhanna
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 10:18:38 PM »

In light of the upstream conservative movement, Gov. Reagan's sacrifice in Kansas City, and James Buckley's new role in the administration, I am anxious to learn what this 2nd term looks like for Pres. Ford in terms of shifts in economic and foreign policy!

(My inaugural post.....this is a fascinating forum!)

~Vikash
Historico
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 10:00:34 AM »

So when can we expect the installment on the Ford Presidency?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 03:21:45 PM »
« Edited: December 16, 2009, 07:34:10 PM by Dallasfan65 »

sorry about all that guys. it's been an intense week. But here's my update, thus far, please let me know what revisions you'd think would be proper.

The economy began to falter not too long after Ford's election in his own right. Gas prices, inflation, and unemployment were all high. The 1978 midterm elections weren't kind to the Republican party; several Republican senators, such as Edward Brooke, went down. In addition, the Democrats increased their margin in the house by 10 seats.

Darker shades indicate a hold, lighter shades are a pickup. Green's a tie.

On February 1979, the Shah of Iran was overthrown by  Ruhollah Khomeini, also known as Ayatollah Khomeini.

The Shah of Iran, now overthrown.

"It is important that the United States protect leaders whom share our interests." said Gerald Ford, as he announced he was granting the Shah entrance to the United States.

Shortly after, on November 4th, 1979, fifty-three Americans were captured and held hostage at the US embassy in Iran.

Ford's approval numbers plummeted to 23%, having been 41% in 1978. Bob Dole announced his candidacy for President on November 4th, 1979, and did not plan on having a primary challenger.

On November 15th, 1979, Henry "Scoop" Jackson declared his candidacy for Presidency of The United States.

Some speculated that former nominee Jimmy Carter would make a run, but he announced days later that he would not submit another bid. A poll was taken among democrats nationwide, with Jackson leading.

Henry M. Jackson: 53%
Walter Mondale: 24%
Undecided: 23%
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »

it's a what if. =P
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 10:25:27 PM »

In late December of 1979, the Watergate case began to look murky at best. Aside from the 'Smoking Gun' tape, there was not much evidence that Nixon knew the break-in was for political purposes. President Gerald Ford seemed distraught about the whole thing, and prepared to speak on the television directly to the American people.

"My fellow Americans.. I wish to speak to you, not as a President, but simply as a fellow man. There are times where we are irrational, jump to conclusions, and, most importantly, make mistakes. I know that in the past I spoke harshly of the former president, and more importantly, my close friend. However, with the case looking more and more difficult, with no clear evidence, I myself am not so sure anymore that he is guilty. I must uphold the rule of law - that law being the prosumption of innocence until proven guilty. I have made a grave error in speaking out so strongly before the facts were known. It is time for this nation to move on - and I am announcing that I will be signing a pardon for any crimes President Nixon may have committed. I was wrong to have spoken out so strongly, and I hope you can all forgive my error."

The pardon proved to be a very controversial issue, seeing Ford's poll numbers drop to 18%.

On January 1st, 1980, Jimmy Carter announced he would seek his parties nomination once more.

Days later, Ted Kennedy delivered the first endorsement, for his old friend Scoop Jackson. Walter Mondale in turn endorsed his former running mate.

The primary was hard fought, with Carter narrowly winning in Iowa: (Carter 38%, Jackson 36%, 26% uncommitted) Jackson made a strong comeback in New Hampshire due to Kennedy campaigning (netting 52% of the vote) and proceeded to sweep the nomination, after a slight drawback in South Carolina (Carter winning with 56%). Many speculated that Scoop Jackson would choose Ted Kennedy. However, due to concerns about Chappaquidick, he announced at Madison Square Garden that he would select the young senator Llyod Bentsen as his running mate.

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 10:35:10 PM »

well, i think that was more because you didn't come off (or weren't being, i'm not going to judge that) as being open minded to their recommendations. you can do things the way you want, but if you want your readers to be open minded you probably should do the same. know what i mean?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 09:54:58 PM »

Jimmy Carter? AHHHHHHH

He would ruin the nation for a generation at least.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2009, 06:36:12 PM by Dallasfan65 »

At the Republican National Convention in Detroit, Michigan, Vice President Bob Dole received 98% of the delegates, the others scattering to various minor candidates. He subsequently announced his selection of a runningmate, much to the chagrin of some conservatives. His pick was Pennsylvania Senator Richard Schweiker.

The fall campaign was particularly brutal, covering issues from the economy, to the Iran hostage crisis, to the Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan. In the debates, Scoop Jackson blasted the Vice President over Ford's handling of the hostage crisis, whom seemed unclear as to how he'd rescue the hostages. Scoop also lambasted President Ford for support of SALT, and the negotiations of SALT II, and promised massive domestic spending to stimulate the economy.

The following's closing statements:

Dole: I assure you that I will be every bit as tough on Communism as my former colleague. However, I can also assure you I will be much more level-headed in my approach; my former colleague will bring the world to war. We Republicans have been in charge for 12 years; the world remains safe, and the economy has hit a mild slump. However, I will balance the budget and return us to our long-held prosperity.

Jackson: To borrow a line from the President, Vice President Dole wants to speak loudly and carry a fly swatter. I will stimulate the economy and bring an end to the Soviet Union, mark my words. I will say nothing more. Don't ask me, ask yourself: "Am I better off now than I was twelve years ago?"

Senator Henry M. Jackson(D-WA)/Senator Llyod Bentsen(D-TX), 56% PV
Vice President Bob Dole(R-KS)/Senator Richard Schweiker(R-PA), 44% PV
With out the presence of a Southerner on the ticket, the South was rather dicey. Dole only held the West and Jackson carried traditional "New Deal Democrat" strongholds such as AR and WV by huge margins, winning over blue collar voters that would later be known as "Jackson Democrats."
Historico
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 10:11:44 AM »

Awesome, Itll be interesting to see how Jackson's and later Bentsen's Presidency(That if you still have Scoop die of an aoritic anuerisim ITTL,I think you should I like different ways of keeping the 20 year curse going) handles the economic crisis, I can't see to many large scale domestic Programs being passed atleas in that first term. But probably a huge Tax Cut and Price Controls to try to beat inflation. Foriegn Policy, I expect rughly about the same that happened in OTL Reagan's as the Neoconservatives would stay with the Democrats without a Carter Presidecy. Can't wait to see the next installment on Scoop term...Keep it comming

Btw, their doesn't seem to be alot of pics of Senator Bentsen from the '70'...Here's the best on I could find.

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 12:43:31 PM »

where'd you get the IMG code for that one? i saw it on wiki.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 06:01:23 PM »

This is awesome!
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 06:36:38 PM »

Update coming soon, I promise
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 07:05:08 PM »
« Edited: December 13, 2009, 01:20:46 PM by Dallasfan65 »

The First Term of Henry M. Jackson

Upon assuming office, Scoop Jackson promised a tougher stance with the Soviet Union, and warned Iran that the hostages should be released, or they would face "disproportionate backlash" from the United States. He also put a sign on his White House desk that read "The Buck Stops Here", reminiscent of Harry Truman. Scoop Jackson also announced that he would like Congress to begin working with him on "A Second Deal."

Vice President: Llyod M. Bentsen
Secretary of State: James L. Buckley
Secretary of Defense: William "Flynt" Nichols
Secretary of Treasury: Mike McCormack
Attorney General: Benjamin Civiletti
Chief of Staff: Dixy Lee Ray
EPA Director: Llyod Meeds
Secretary of Commerce: Paul Wolfowitz

Senate Composition:
Democrats: 74
Republicans: 36

Ironically, due to their overwhelming majority in the house, the Democrats lost five house seats.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 05:58:09 PM »
« Edited: December 16, 2009, 07:27:20 PM by Dallasfan65 »

Henry M. Jackson introduced an ambitious plan before Congress. He proposed an increase in unemployment benefits and a massive military build-up, also with lots of spending on infrastructure. However, the budget also called for an increase in taxes, 10% for the rich and 5% for the middle-class. It received mixed reviews in the media and criticism from Republicans. In a speech, President Jackson countered "Listen to these guys, and we'll stay where we've been for the past 12 years. I know taxes are raised a bit, but think of it as an investment in America, and an investment in your self." After some struggle and negotiating, the bill passed.

He also urged Congress to pass a bill calling for the creation of a Department of Energy, in response to the ongoing oil crisis.

The hostage crisis continued tumultuously, several prisoners dying from health complications. On February 5th, 1981, the hostages were executed. President Jackson called for swift action, and the House voted 340-10 to declare war on Iran.

On February 8th, 1981, the bombs started dropping.

President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 06:09:12 PM »
« Edited: December 16, 2009, 06:11:54 PM by Giovanni 2.0 »

Yuck. I don't want that Bastard in the White House. Baker in 84'!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies