New York Precinct Results Questions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:08:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  New York Precinct Results Questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New York Precinct Results Questions  (Read 8058 times)
Stranger Than Fiction
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2009, 05:26:49 AM »

Hi everyone,

Could someone provide some context on the lone precinct in Manhattan that went for McCain by 3 votes?  I've looked at the map from the NYC BOE and it is a sliver from around the Penn Station/Herald Square area.  Is this an oddball result from a precinct with a non residential zoning that somehow had voters registered into?

Also - Obama won the Bronx with 88% but lost by lopsided margins in more than a handful of precincts around the Throgs Neck and Morris Park areas.  Have these areas around Throgs Neck and Morris Park always been Republican bastions due to their Italian, Catholic demographics or did it had more to do with the 9/11 effect (a la Staten Island, Monmouth Co NJ, Ocean Co NJ)?

Thanks for any insights.
jocallag
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 12:40:50 PM »

That area has been voting Republican for years. Just read Kevin Phillips "The Emerging Republican Majority" 1969.  Phillips was the chief of staff to GOP Cong Paul Fino who
represented that area years ago when there were more white catholics in the Bronx.

Jay O'Callaghan
jocall7868@aol.com
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 03:35:44 PM »

Hi everyone,

Could someone provide some context on the lone precinct in Manhattan that went for McCain by 3 votes?  I've looked at the map from the NYC BOE and it is a sliver from around the Penn Station/Herald Square area.  Is this an oddball result from a precinct with a non residential zoning that somehow had voters registered into?

Also - Obama won the Bronx with 88% but lost by lopsided margins in more than a handful of precincts around the Throgs Neck and Morris Park areas.  Have these areas around Throgs Neck and Morris Park always been Republican bastions due to their Italian, Catholic demographics or did it had more to do with the 9/11 effect (a la Staten Island, Monmouth Co NJ, Ocean Co NJ)?

Thanks for any insights.

The area in the Bronx that you're referring to is heavily Italian, Irish, and Hispanic. It is similar to Northern Staten Island, with a heavy Irish-Italian influence and a visible Hispanic minority.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 10:48:37 PM »

I think the race map of NYC needs to be posted again:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=195

It explains a lot.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 10:13:12 PM »

I think this needs to be posted here again as well. Smiley

Let's not give people the wrong impression here. While whites may be the ONLY people in NY to vote Republican, it's not like there's some shortage of white liberals in NYC.

I would imagine Obama got >50% of the white vote in the Bronx, Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens, so any NYC McCain areas in the four boroughs must be distinctive within race.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 07:45:13 PM »

It seems that in Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, and Staten Island, the Republicans did well in the predominately white areas, but in Manhattan, even the predominately white areas went massively Democrat.  Could this have something do with wealth and education as I believe Manhattan is quite wealthy and has a very high percentage with university degrees.  Also, how much of Manhattan is Jewish since it seems the Republicans did well amongst the Irish and Italian (Catholics) and Orthodox Jews, but got clobbered amongst the non-Orthodox Jews.

Also I believe Kerry won every precinct in Manhattan in 2004.  If I am not mistaken I believe it was the only borough to go for Kerry in every precinct.  One precinct in Brooklyn though went 96% for Bush.  I would be interested in knowing where that one was.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 07:53:59 PM »

Can you send me where  u get this precinct information from? I like checking out stats.
Stranger Than Fiction
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 12:32:01 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
For anyone has access to the precinct-level data and shapefiles it would be interesting to compare Schumer's blowout in 2004 and Spitzer's landslide in 2006 with Obama's NYC performance in 2008.  I think Schumer has set the benchmark for Democratic performance in these areas.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 02:01:17 PM »

One precinct in Brooklyn though went 96% for Bush.  I would be interested in knowing where that one was.
Almost certain that must be a Hasidic area.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 02:15:19 PM »

Central Park is majority black? Is that counting homeless people as the residents or something?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 03:37:05 PM »

It's two dozen people and we aren't sure who they are.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 10:56:50 PM »

One precinct in Brooklyn though went 96% for Bush.  I would be interested in knowing where that one was.
Almost certain that must be a Hasidic area.

Probably, although I think there were only around 20 votes or so. 
xavier110
United States
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 02:56:30 PM »

Have these areas around Throgs Neck and Morris Park always been Republican bastions due to their Italian, Catholic demographics or did it had more to do with the 9/11 effect (a la Staten Island, Monmouth Co NJ, Ocean Co NJ)?

Yes, they've always been like this.

I went to Thanksgiving in Throgsneck and saw lots of "B.O. Stinks!" bumper stickers.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies