The ten worst railway stations - apparently
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:51:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The ten worst railway stations - apparently
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The ten worst railway stations - apparently  (Read 2443 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2009, 03:05:37 PM »

Drumroll:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8363621.stm
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 03:09:27 PM »

Now I've not been to any of these recently (because rail travel, travel in general actually, has been limited since my first hospitalisation in May) but in the past year I've only been to Crewe station. And, yeah, it's Hell - it seems to be designed with the aim of inspiring panic. Surprised that Shrewsbury station missed out (lovely building - from the outside. But the platform is ghastly and the toilets... no, let's not write about such things) and would have said the same for Birmingham New Street... 'till I remembered that the problem with that one isn't the actually station, but the consumerist hell immediately above it (and which thee has to go through to get into the city).
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 03:16:23 PM »

Liverpool Central isn't that bad, hardly one of the worst. Yes, it's a bit dingy, but it's a bloomin' train station... (And it's not even a nationwide train station.)

Improvements have already begun, a shop was opened in the station a few weeks ago and I think they're in the process of building a new ticket office.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 03:23:44 PM »

Rugby (my local station) has improved a lot in recent years. I think it might have made the list about 10 years ago.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 03:34:49 PM »

Railways stations in Scotland (God he's going on about Scotland again...) have been more appropriately funded. Glasgow Central Station (Station of the year 2009!) for example gets it right. Too many English city terminus stations try to make statements 'Look at this big f-ck off glass space pod ticket booth' while Glasgow treats the iron roof and replaces the glass.

It has wide open space and concession stands are kept to a minimum with most units to the side

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3354/3340389145_fbd8564604.jpg

Most stations are also getting the benefit of money spent on the new ScotRail re-brand
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 04:37:32 PM »

LOL. Notice how they're all in the Northwest (where I live)

Also, Kuchinichisdabest, you live in Rugby? That's where I was born! Smiley
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 04:41:36 PM »

Ottawa Train Station is an empty shell with no people. Thus is the state of railway transportation in the True North, strong and free.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 04:43:46 PM »

Ottawa Train Station is an empty shell with no people. Thus is the state of railway transportation in the True North, strong and free.

The densest railway network in England outside London and without the obvious financial advantages the latter gets...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 04:47:12 PM »

The densest railway network in England outside London and without the obvious financial advantages the latter gets...
Somebody quoted the wrong post.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 04:51:37 PM »

Somebody quoted the wrong post.

lol
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 04:52:18 PM »

TAKE TWO:

Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 04:57:10 PM »

Also, Kuchinichisdabest, you live in Rugby? That's where I was born! Smiley

Yep, just one street away from the railway station in fact, it's like a 30 second walk there from my house.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 05:03:51 PM »

The only one I've been to is Liverpool Central, and that's bad more on account of not being an overland rail station at all than on account of being a bad one. Though it isn't pretty.

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 05:38:27 PM »

TAKE TWO:

Depends on how you measure it Smiley (Here he goes again...) Greater Glasgow has the largest suburban railway network outside London with 58 railway and 15 subway stations within Glasgow City's clipped boundaries alone. It has less 'through lines' than the North West of England though and the rails carry less freight.

Outside London, the busiest station in the UK by passenger numbers is Glasgow Central
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 05:41:41 PM »

TAKE TWO:

Depends on how you measure it Smiley (Here he goes again...) Greater Glasgow has the largest suburban railway network outside London with 58 railway and 15 subway stations within Glasgow City's clipped boundaries alone. It has less 'through lines' than the North West of England though and the rails carry less freight.

Outside London, the three busiest stations in the UK by passenger numbers are Glasgow Central, followed by Edinburgh Waverley and then Glasgow Queen Street yet the people flow during rush hour seems much smoother than I see elsewhere.

Wait, so you think Scotland is part of England now? Tongue
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 05:42:47 PM »

I hope not.. that would kind of nullify the point of English independence Tongue
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 07:08:58 PM »

TAKE TWO:

Outside London, the three busiest stations in the UK by passenger numbers are Glasgow Central, followed by Edinburgh Waverley and then Glasgow Queen Street yet the people flow during rush hour seems much smoother than I see elsewhere.

Wait, so you think Scotland is part of England now? Tongue

Dang.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 07:31:31 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2009, 07:33:45 PM by Benwah »

[/france's attention whore]

France launched a plan to renovate its stations nationwide, some time ago, must have quite ended now.

I hope they did something good seeing how the price of train became incredibly high. 13€ (US$19, £11,5) for making the 82 kms (51 miles) of railway between Castres and Toulouse. Hugely increased within a few years. And once you're 26, forget all the possibilities you can have to have reduced prices, not the slightest card you could buy or something, just something if you have to take it everyday for the same travel. Well, luckily, in my région, the council adopted something that make free public transport for unemployeds, then as my région is quite big that's pretty cool, but still, it doesn't apologize for the regular prices for everybody.

About the few I've seen about stations renovation, well, nothing formidable, well that's decent, but, well, very commercial overall, and most of the time, everything that is in is pretty expensive. Racket! Toward travelers that have 2 hours between 2 trains and who won't necessarily go at adventure in the city to find something to eat.

And for example what they have done in Strasbourg seems awful, they kinda imprisoned the former station into a big cage of glass and iron, would seem like an UFO in da old Strasbourg, and most of all, it takes water, lots of big leakages...

Though, never seen since they made it, maybe i would like it after all.

[/i told it, france's attention whore]

Generally speaking, and according to what i've seen, seems they have problems to overcome the 'bubble of glass and iron' in architecture nowadays...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 07:34:07 PM »

If you think that's a high price, you should take a train journey over here...
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 07:43:47 PM »

If you think that's a high price, you should take a train journey over here...

Compared to what it was just between 5/10 years ago it really highly increased, i'd say about 1/3. That's cool to encourage people to take public transportations...

Other views of Strasbourg, which may not be a very common example:

Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 04:03:28 PM »

I changed trains at Clapham junction this morning - In rush hour - and it wasn't exactly amazing..
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 04:21:02 PM »

The last time I was in Crewe... about two years ago I remember the train station looking like it been bombed.

In saying that is still much better than most places in Ireland. Brits can grumble but they don't know how lucky they have it. I'd take Crewe over Portlaoise *shudder* or Mullingar any day. Exorbitant too.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 01:46:57 PM »

Barking's not brilliant, but one of the worst in the country? I doubt it. A two-side Platform 2 is helpful for a start.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies