Who are the most overrated candidates for 2010? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:16:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Who are the most overrated candidates for 2010? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who are the most overrated candidates for 2010?  (Read 3798 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: November 18, 2009, 02:02:46 PM »
« edited: November 18, 2009, 02:05:07 PM by Lunar »

Great question.  I love it.

#1) CARLY FIORINA - people treat her as if she's not like the #6-7 seat the GOP will pick up (only in a massive wave) and hasn't proven herself a gaffe-prone failure during the McCain campaign already.  The challenge from DeVore will force her to the right and her failures as HP will doom her.  I mean, I'm sure the Boxer campaign is already lining up the former HP employees for ads, and they aren't afraid to hit hard.

Boxer's approvals aren't high, but unless Fiorina has a "hook" against Boxer, like the challengers against Dodd, Vitter, Dodd, etc. have, I don't think she can make enough mojo among minorities to get anywhere

#2)  Recently, Mark Kirk...he's making all kinds of really stupid mistakes to piss off his best ticket in the general election, the Chicago media.  He's drawn scathing reviews from the Tribune and the Sun-Times, both publications that used to fawn over him over his recent decision to go ballistics (with factual errors) about the stupidity over Gitmo folks in Illinois.

#3) Pick a Paulite.  

I guess these are all Republicans and my sleep-deprived brain is showing its inherent partisanship Tongue  I agree with you that Carnahan was initially overrated, she had initially shown a huge fundraising gap over Blunt, and at the start of the campaign the Blunt name was more toxic...I mean, I remember being vaguely involved with some of Nixon's campaign for governor in MO and people forget that Matt Blunt was the second least popular governor in America (after Blagojevich) by early 2008....so yeah, I'd probably put Carnahan as #4

I want to say that Melancon is overrated, but nobody gives him much credit.  I want to say Conway is overrated, but people don't give him much credit either, and he's a relatively polished and attractive candidate who's probably the least potentially buffoonish of his three opponents....I want to say Alexi is overrated, because he is, but Kirk is the one who's making mistakes left and right.... obviously Reid and Dodd are both in danger but everyone knows that.  

I don't think Crist is that overrated, he seems like he's a really talented politician, and what no one gives him credit for is how utterly ruthless he's going to be.  Rubio is not only battling 100% name recognition but he's battling someone who's willing to race-bait and promise real-estate the developers the moon for an extra $3m for his campaign....and frankly, Kendrick Meek is not that strong of a candidate, otherwise why would Hildebrand bail on his campaign?

I'd say Lincoln was overrated, which she probably is, but I haven't seen what's even going on down there and frankly I don't think I'll have my finger on the pulse of an area where Hillary and Palin could both be beloved.

Hoffman and Cheryl what's-her-face are both overrated as potential challengers to Alexi in IL as he has the Union support etc. and nobody really knows why they're in the race.

God knows what's going on in Pennsylvania.

Where am I?

I have my list of underrated candidates which include McMahon and Bennet Smiley

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 02:17:54 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2009, 02:20:16 PM by Lunar »

Well, I'd list Ayotte except a) Her anti-establishment primary competition seems to be interested in cannibalizing itself and b) Hodes has shown to be a pretty inept fundraiser and has to be bailed out by Reid & Biden...which isn't that great considering that Hodes has poor name recognition and is fairly boring from what I've seen of him.

There's a number of races that are just pure F'n tossups to me, New Hampshire is one of those.

I disagree with you on Crist though Smiley  I used to believe strongly that Rubio was underrated back when he was a nobody, but I'm starting to realize more and more that Crist's fluffy exterior is an act, hell, Roger Stone seems to be coming out of the woodwork to rig things against his opposition.  I used to like Crist and think he was alright back when he expanded voting rights for felons and let the polls stay open late on election night... but the more I get to know him, I see he's more fake than Mitt Romney could hope to be....but in a way that helps him win.   Sure, he made a mistake on the stimulus, but he's got a cannon up his sleeve.  I give him an 80% at the primary (Rubio def. still has a chance though, especially as smart conservative strategist types are starting to realize that they can't trust Crist as much as they thought)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 05:00:58 PM »

My list include Alex Sink was the favorite to win the Senate race in FL but instead opted out to run for governor and she missed the mark on that one clearly.

Gov Quinn who is the lame duck governor for the state of Illinois.  He is the frontrunner to win the governorship but not the overwhelmingly favorite

Paul Hodes who saw his poll numbers slide in August and has been bumping along

Does anyone treat Sink as anything better than a tossup, who does?

I kind of agree with you on Quinn, he has shown himself to be an almost flawless candidate since he had taken office from Blago...yeah, he wasn't popular when he started and the elites were trying to get rid of him...but he's been doing a good job...I think...i don't know how I would vote between Queen and Hynes, Quinn seems surprisingly solid overall....who's the Republican running? mcKenna or something?  if Kirk picks up his game, maybe the GOP candidate will have a chance
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies