*CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION*
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:22:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  *CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION*
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: *CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION*  (Read 17223 times)
dunn

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2004, 05:25:07 PM »

Someone had a 7 region offer a while ago that was not bad.

We (the progressive party draft that is) propose ev by state in the presidential elretions. but by the forum 'population' number   ie: a state with no voters do not get ev. all other get at least 3 (one registered person = 3ev, 2=4ev, etc.). it's keep the ev system but makes it real for thr forum and there is not 1 guy from CA worth 55 ev and two from DC that worth 3 together.

IF we have state-by-state EVs they MUST be correlated to forum members. Period. Anything else would be INSANE and UNFAIR.

That was my proposel (the progressive that is ILVerin...)

you should join us Gustaf

I think you're too far left for me, but thanks for the offer. Smiley

no I don't think so
if you go with the dems you can go with us

I just manage to go along with the Dems...but I haven't seen that much of your policies yet.

ok
saw you registered at our forum, that's a start
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2004, 05:49:10 PM »

The convention seems to be quite stagnant now. Therefore, to push it along, I think that the following issues should be addressed forthwith:

1. The unicameral or bicameral nature of the legislature.
2. The systems used in the various elections, and also the constituencies for the same.

Thereafter the specifics may be considered.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2004, 06:04:52 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2004, 06:08:48 PM by Beet »

The convention seems to be quite stagnant now. Therefore, to push it along, I think that the following issues should be addressed forthwith:

1. The unicameral or bicameral nature of the legislature.
2. The systems used in the various elections, and also the constituencies for the same.

Thereafter the specifics may be considered.

1. If there is a bicameral legislature I propose that it would be unrealistic to have elections for the lower House, for with 40 seats up for grabs, we don't have enough people to make it competitive.

In the future, we can make it competitive. But when the founding fathers first started the House in real life, the number of seats was not fixed; and so, in our simulation, all registered voters should automatically be considered House members. This of course is kind of like a unicameral legislature, but we dont have enough people to do it otherwise. Otherwise we can just have a unicameral legislature. Of course there will be a minimum number of posts requirement as with voting; this should be raised from 18. If we can trust people to vote, we should be able to trust them to be house members also.

2. Whether we use EVs or popular vote, remember that under a plurality voting system, party A candidate recieved 40%, party B candidate 30% and party C candidate 30%, party A candidate wins, even if party B and C candidates are very similiar to one another. We already have a similiar situation developing in the forum with the Progressive and Democratic parties being similiar. The last election was quite competitive and we should continue to try and achieve competitive (and therefore FUN) elections. Punishing a diversity of viewpoints/parties through a plurality system does not accomplish this.
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2004, 06:11:38 PM »

My personal views on the two points are as follows:

1. A unicameral legislature should be established- we are too small for a bicameral one. There would be no enjoyment if everyone could serve in political positions. Perhaps we can include a clause that provides: when the number of registered voters exceeds X, a House of Representatives shall be created (or words to that effect). Otherwise, we could amend the constitution when it becomes necessary.

2. I propose that the forum be divided into six regions for all electoral purposes - five for the US, one for the rest of the world. Within each region, preferential votes could be used to determine the Senators and to grant electoral votes (on a winner-take-all basis) to the President.
dunn

« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2004, 07:11:58 PM »

My personal views on the two points are as follows:

1. A unicameral legislature should be established- we are too small for a bicameral one. There would be no enjoyment if everyone could serve in political positions. Perhaps we can include a clause that provides: when the number of registered voters exceeds X, a House of Representatives shall be created (or words to that effect). Otherwise, we could amend the constitution when it becomes necessary.

2. I propose that the forum be divided into six regions for all electoral purposes - five for the US, one for the rest of the world. Within each region, preferential votes could be used to determine the Senators and to grant electoral votes (on a winner-take-all basis) to the President.

make sense
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2004, 07:32:39 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2004, 07:34:58 PM by Beet »

Just remember that if supporters of one candidate have a disproportionate majority in one region, they may be incentivized to change their region for the purposes of voting. A smaller party would be incentivized to have its members congregate in a single region, would could easily result in EVs won by more than two parties and no electoral majority.

So we should have a fair system of determining what happens in the case of no electoral majority.
dunn

« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2004, 07:34:32 PM »

This plan sounds fine, just remember that if supporters of one candidate have a disproportionate majority in one region, they may be incentivized to change their region for the purposes of voting. A smaller party would be incentivized to have its members congregate in a single region, would could easily result in EVs won by more than two parties and no electoral majority.

we probably need a clause that says you can not swich a region more then once every term or so
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2004, 07:36:16 PM »

This plan sounds fine, just remember that if supporters of one candidate have a disproportionate majority in one region, they may be incentivized to change their region for the purposes of voting. A smaller party would be incentivized to have its members congregate in a single region, would could easily result in EVs won by more than two parties and no electoral majority.

we probably need a clause that says you can not swich a region more then once every term or so

Yes, and preferably not while the election is going on.
dunn

« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2004, 07:41:50 PM »

Yes, and preferably not while the election is going on.

right
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2004, 10:51:19 PM »

We need a general moderator who is kind of like the speaker-they can be from one party but they remain neutral for official business. This person would count ballots, call elections, and post events. I would like to have this position if you want me to have it Cheesy

I think we can basically all agree that within the US at least, there are 5 regions. The final regions can be decided by the 5 state regions thread (and soon, poll).

I think we should have a thre--leel government- 1. The president and VP; 2. The senate, a 10 member body with two senators from every region and the VP casting a vote if it is tied; 3. A House of Reps that anyone can be a member of, but they don't actually do anything.

The senate seats would be filled by a method of preferential direct election, without EVs for individual states in the region.

The Presidential election would use popular votes in the regions, with each region having one EV for every three voters in that region.

Also, to prevent people changing regions all the time, people must register in a thread that we politely ask Dave to sticky. People must register as voters, and include the following information:

Username:
Location (City/State/Country):

So for example, when i filled it out, it would be:

Username: hughento
Location (City/State/Country): Davenport, IA, USA

whoever is our game mod would keep a hardcopy list of registered voters so that they can't be edited. If someone moves, then the mod can change their location, but this can only happen every calendar year max. (who moves more then once a year anyway).

Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2004, 11:01:33 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I don't think that this is necessary. All registered voters could form "the electorate."
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2004, 11:29:53 PM »

People like positions, and it doesnt hurt to pander to their egos Smiley
dunn

« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2004, 03:23:13 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I don't think that this is necessary. All registered voters could form "the electorate."

I agree
dunn

« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2004, 07:14:42 AM »

We (the progressive party draft that is) propose ev by state in the presidential elretions. but by the forum 'population' number   ie: a state with no voters do not get ev. all other get at least 3 (one registered person = 3ev, 2=4ev, etc.). it's keep the ev system but makes it real for thr forum and there is not 1 guy from CA worth 55 ev and two from DC that worth 3 together.

IF we have state-by-state EVs they MUST be correlated to forum members. Period. Anything else would be INSANE and UNFAIR.
Amen.

we will turn him progressive
Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2004, 03:20:52 PM »

Amen.

Smiley

Bring. It. On. Wink
dunn

« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2004, 07:04:34 PM »

Amen.

Smiley

Bring. It. On. Wink
the proGUSive party
Smiley
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2004, 07:07:37 PM »

Good luck guys, we've already tried to turn Gustaf. As you see it didnt turn out too well Wink
dunn

« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2004, 07:40:12 PM »

Good luck guys, we've already tried to turn Gustaf. As you see it didnt turn out too well Wink
lol
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2004, 10:54:25 AM »

You didn't try that hard...and you came much closer than the progressives are... Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies