Protection of Democracy Bill [Failed] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:42:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Protection of Democracy Bill [Failed] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Protection of Democracy Bill [Failed]  (Read 4069 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« on: November 19, 2009, 03:24:00 AM »
« edited: November 25, 2009, 06:33:22 PM by Sen. Marokai Blue, PPT »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Hashemite
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 05:40:26 PM »

I ask my fellow Senators to consider the bill's intent, and ignore, for now, its flaws. This issue of zombies is important, it obviously worries certain people including myself and the author of this bill, and it would be stupid and unfair to toss this out like certain have been eager to do, either based on purely petty partisans reasons poorly concealed (IT WILL HARM MY PARTY!!!) or opposition to zombie reform since they've benefited from it.

This bill isn't perfect, and I agree with the sentiment that post counts could be easily ignored. However, I ask that we Senators prove ourselves up to the task of actually doing something on this issue which is a concern to our constituents instead of tossing it out stupidely. I will not accept inaction any longer.

I really don't think this bill solves anything, even if I set aside my objections to forcing people to post in the Atlasia boards, which is difficult to do. All it would do is benefit those who marshal their zombies better and get idiots to post alot.

At the end of the day I don't think there's a whole lot you can do about "zombies" that wouldn't catch a bunch of people in the same net that are decent members aside from giving some czar amazing powers to pick off certain people arbitrarily. Posting requirements don't stop them, limited posting requirements don't stop them, time limits don't stop them. It's unfortunate and I wish there was something we COULD do, but I can't in good conscience vote for something as potentially disruptive as this bill.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 06:17:17 AM »

Debate has stagnated, so I'm left with no other choice but to open it for a final vote. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain on the following bill:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nay.

I'm sorry Antonio, I absolutely sympathize with it's intent, but this bill will either damage good citizens, not do anything to solve the problem because the spammers and talkative idiots will find ways around it, or make the SoFA have to go through the trouble of checking every single person's posts in a specific area of the forum, which would be incredibly frustrating to do bordering on impossible for a country of over 100 citizens.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 04:29:27 PM »

Abstain. I'm woefully disappointed, once more, in this Senate.

What exactly do you suggest?

Personally, I would like to see the Senate have the conversation on the intent of the bill. I think this is the third time the Senate has quickly debated and then voted down some sort of "cleaning the roles" bill. You need to actually have the debate to find the solution. Kicking the can down the road will only prolong the problem.

We almost all agree on the intent, but we've debated an uncountable number of "reform" proposals that are either unfeasible or potentially incredibly damaging. So far there has been no realistic way of curbing the influence of zombie voters that doesn't take a hatchet to Atlasia, so yes, they're "quickly debated and voted down."
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 01:24:18 AM »

This bill is currently failing. 24 hour notice to change votes.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 06:30:55 PM »

This bill is currently failing. 24 hour notice to change votes.

This bill has failed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies