Protection of Democracy Bill [Failed] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:22:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Protection of Democracy Bill [Failed] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Protection of Democracy Bill [Failed]  (Read 4046 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« on: November 19, 2009, 10:13:31 AM »

Well the obvious problems here are:

a.) Zombies could very easily get around this. There's no objective way to judge whether a post is useless or not, and this law couldn't stop spam.

b.) It'd be a lot of work for the SoFA to determine who had posted how often in the days following his or her registration. Not only would the SoFA have to record when a poster registered, but he would also have to manually count posts in the Fantasy section from that point forward. It's not nearly as easy as it sounds.

The intent of this is very worthwhile, and I'm not eager to criticize it or knock it down, but these practical issues do pose a problem, in my opinion.

As Afleitch said, we need some ideas to reform this proposal, and I'll work to see what I can think of.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 09:25:15 AM »

I urge Senators to propose Amendments to this bill, instead of just opposing it. This bill is certainly improvable, but we still need it to pass.

I'm trying very hard to think of a way to amend this, but I haven't found any solution yet.

Counting posts on the fantasy section has certain problems, as has already been explained. Not only is the first limit (5 days) draconian, but also the trouble of counting the posts would be a big problem for the SoFA.

It's also quite likely that zombies would easily find a way around the posting requirements (spam).

I really really like the principle behind this, and I dislike zombies as much as the next person.....but I'm having some trouble believing that this proposal wouldn't cause a lot more problems than it would solve.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 07:27:41 AM »

Abstain
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 08:10:25 AM »

Abstain. I'm woefully disappointed, once more, in this Senate.

What exactly do you suggest?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 04:27:48 PM »

Does anybody disagree with the intent in principle? I think everyone wants to limit zombies' influence.

The greater problem is finding a way to do that without causing more problems.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies