Barbour on his and Palin's presidential prospects
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:11:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Barbour on his and Palin's presidential prospects
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Barbour on his and Palin's presidential prospects  (Read 2896 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2009, 03:50:52 AM »

This sounds like someone who's really annoyed with being asked about Palin:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/politicolive/1109/Barbour_dodges_2012_queries.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 03:58:42 AM »

Interesting.  Barbour's comments here strike me as reflective of who he is: an insider politician with disdain for undereducated populist politicians from the boondocks.  He seems to me more annoyed at the fact reporters are hounding the Palin story non-stop than at the premise of the question...  he wants to advance his agenda and ideas, not have to do the tightrope act between whatever Palin just posted on her Facebook wall and mainstream America
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 11:37:48 AM »

Interesting.  Barbour's comments here strike me as reflective of who he is: an insider politician with disdain for undereducated populist politicians from the boondocks.  He seems to me more annoyed at the fact reporters are hounding the Palin story non-stop than at the premise of the question...  he wants to advance his agenda and ideas, not have to do the tightrope act between whatever Palin just posted on her Facebook wall and mainstream America

Of course Barbour is a GWB insider, which won't play well in 2012 unless Dubya gets a now-incredible resuscitation of his soiled reputation. He handled the Katrina catastrophe more effectively than did his Louisiana counterpart... but even at that, Mississippi is no political or economic miracle; it is one of the most corrupt states in the Union due to racial polarization in the electorate that ensures machine politics even in isolated hick towns.  Barbour cannot transcend the political culture of Mississippi which won't play well outside the South.

He's more a GOP insider than Mike Huckabee in a time in which being a GOP insider is political suicide except in the safest of Republican bailiwicks. 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 12:02:58 PM »

This is still the GOP nomination that we're talking about...lots of candidates with err, soiled reputations (Newt, Palin), are still considered serious contenders.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 04:58:32 PM »

This is still the GOP nomination that we're talking about...lots of candidates with err, soiled reputations (Newt, Palin), are still considered serious contenders.

.... don't forget George W. Bush and Dick Cheney who have extremely-soiled reputations among Democrats, shaky reputations among Independents, and still fairly0good ones among Republicans.  Dubya could have as high as a 75% approval rating among Republicans.

Barbour could still take some votes away from Huckabee, but that is about the only effect I can think him having in the primaries. He might be a Pawlenty or Romney choice to consolidate support in the South if Huckabee isn't available. His connections to Dubya would not be a problem until after the Republican National Convention comes to an end. After that, out come the negative ads.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 05:09:10 PM »

Interesting.  Barbour's comments here strike me as reflective of who he is: an insider politician with disdain for undereducated populist politicians from the boondocks.  He seems to me more annoyed at the fact reporters are hounding the Palin story non-stop than at the premise of the question...  he wants to advance his agenda and ideas, not have to do the tightrope act between whatever Palin just posted on her Facebook wall and mainstream America

But isn't Barbour a undereducated redneck populist?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 05:09:48 PM »

But isn't Barbour a undereducated redneck ?
Barbour is a political insider. That doesn't mean he's educated or intelligent.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 06:43:36 PM »

Interesting.  Barbour's comments here strike me as reflective of who he is: an insider politician with disdain for undereducated populist politicians from the boondocks.  He seems to me more annoyed at the fact reporters are hounding the Palin story non-stop than at the premise of the question...  he wants to advance his agenda and ideas, not have to do the tightrope act between whatever Palin just posted on her Facebook wall and mainstream America

He got a law degree and subsequently started working as one of THE most powerful lobbyists in Washington.  Something tells me he doesn't believe in death panels.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 06:49:23 PM »

Hardly.  Haley Barbour doesn't work the same way Sarah Palin does.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 09:19:23 PM »

Barbour does seem rather restrained in his praise of Palin:

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/11/18/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry5700215.shtml

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Now there's a ringing endorsement for you:

Sarah Palin: Not as dumb as you think she is
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 02:49:56 AM »

*cough* *cough* Biden?  Kerry?  Moonbeam?
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 02:57:19 AM »

Barbour's comments here strike me as reflective of who he is: an insider politician with disdain for undereducated populist politicians from the boondocks.

Yeah, it's clear that Barbour is only going through the motions when he talks about social issues. He's still an asshole, but I think the GOP (and the country) would be better off if there were more Republican politicians like him, especially in the South.

''My opponent loves to quote the Bible,'' Mr. Barbour said sarcastically at a debate here last week -- an unusual line of attack in a state with more churches per capita, by some counts, than any other. ''I'll spare you the sanctimony,'' the governor said at another point, swatting down yet more inspiration from Scripture.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 03:03:35 AM »

Barbour's comments here strike me as reflective of who he is: an insider politician with disdain for undereducated populist politicians from the boondocks.

Yeah, it's clear that Barbour is only going through the motions when he talks about social issues. He's still an asshole, but I think the GOP (and the country) would be better off if there were more Republican politicians like him, especially in the South.

You mean self-serving hypocrites, corporate puppets, and establishment hacks? You want more of that?

Oh, right, you're an Obama supporter.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 03:05:36 AM »

You mean self-serving hypocrites, corporate puppets, and establishment hacks? You want more of that?

Oh, right, you're an Obama supporter.

Count it!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 03:19:07 AM »

I don't see Barbour running.