Do you satisfy the Republican purity test?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:05:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Do you satisfy the Republican purity test?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Poll
Question: Do you satisfy the Republican purity test?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 90

Author Topic: Do you satisfy the Republican purity test?  (Read 16238 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 23, 2009, 08:09:56 PM »

A resolution is being circulated by RNC members which calls for candidates to support at least 8 of the 10 items listed below or face action by the RNC:

(1) We support smaller government, smaller national debt, lower deficits and lower taxes by opposing bills like Obama’s “stimulus” bill;

(2) We support market-based health care reform and oppose Obama-style government run health care;

(3) We support market-based energy reforms by opposing cap and trade legislation;

(4) We support workers’ right to secret ballot by opposing card check;

(5) We support legal immigration and assimilation into American society by opposing amnesty for illegal immigrants;

(6) We support victory in Iraq and Afghanistan by supporting military-recommended troop surges;

(7) We support containment of Iran and North Korea, particularly effective action to eliminate their nuclear weapons threat;

(8 ) We support retention of the Defense of Marriage Act;

(9) We support protecting the lives of vulnerable persons by opposing health care rationing and denial of health care and government funding of abortion; and

(10) We support the right to keep and bear arms by opposing government restrictions on gun ownership.

Why 8 of the 10? Because Ronald Reagan once said "that someone who agreed with him 8 out of 10 times was his friend, not his opponent." Makes perfect sense.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 08:13:35 PM »

No. The first directly contradicts the fifth, the sixth, the seventh, the eighth, and the ninth.
Barack Hussian YO MAMA!!!!
The Rascal King
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.46, S: 4.96

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 08:17:29 PM »

A resolution is being circulated by RNC members which calls for candidates to support at least 8 of the 10 items listed below or face action by the RNC:

(1) We support smaller government, smaller national debt, lower deficits and lower taxes by opposing bills like Obama’s “stimulus” bill;

(2) We support market-based health care reform and oppose Obama-style government run health care;

(3) We support market-based energy reforms by opposing cap and trade legislation;

(5) We support legal immigration and assimilation into American society by opposing amnesty for illegal immigrants;

(6) We support victory in Iraq and Afghanistan by supporting military-recommended troop surges;

(7) We support containment of Iran and North Korea, particularly effective action to eliminate their nuclear weapons threat;

(9) We support protecting the lives of vulnerable persons by opposing health care rationing and denial of health care and government funding of abortion; and

(10) We support the right to keep and bear arms by opposing government restrictions on gun ownership.

Why 8 of the 10? Because Ronald Reagan once said "that someone who agreed with him 8 out of 10 times was his friend, not his opponent." Makes perfect sense.

if somebody agrees with you 8 out of 10 times he is not your opponent if somebody agrees with you 7 out of 10 time 's, they are traitors to this country and should be tried for treason.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 08:18:19 PM »

We support smaller government, smaller national debt, lower deficits and lower taxes by opposing bills like Obama’s “stimulus” bill

No

We support market-based health care reform and oppose Obama-style government run health care

No

We support market-based energy reforms by opposing cap and trade legislation

No

We support workers’ right to secret ballot by opposing card check

No

We support legal immigration and assimilation into American society by opposing amnesty for illegal immigrants

No

We support victory in Iraq and Afghanistan by supporting military-recommended troop surges

No

We support containment of Iran and North Korea, particularly effective action to eliminate their nuclear weapons threat

No

We support retention of the Defense of Marriage Act

No

We support protecting the lives of vulnerable persons by opposing health care rationing and denial of health care and government funding of abortion

No

We support the right to keep and bear arms by opposing government restrictions on gun ownership.

No

I guess I'm a bad Republican. Sorry, zombie Reagan.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 08:18:54 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Um... cap and trade is a market-based solution, idiots.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 09:38:33 PM »

Um... cap and trade is a market-based solution, idiots.

LOL that's exactly what I was thinking.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 09:47:46 PM »

I failed, miserably.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 09:48:53 PM »

I oppose 5-9, so no.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 09:55:31 PM »

We support smaller government, smaller national debt, lower deficits and lower taxes by opposing bills like Obama’s “stimulus” bill

No

We support market-based health care reform and oppose Obama-style government run health care

No

We support market-based energy reforms by opposing cap and trade legislation

No

We support workers’ right to secret ballot by opposing card check

No

We support legal immigration and assimilation into American society by opposing amnesty for illegal immigrants

Yes

We support victory in Iraq and Afghanistan by supporting military-recommended troop surges

Yes

We support containment of Iran and North Korea, particularly effective action to eliminate their nuclear weapons threat

Yes

We support retention of the Defense of Marriage Act

No

We support protecting the lives of vulnerable persons by opposing health care rationing and denial of health care and government funding of abortion

No

We support the right to keep and bear arms by opposing government restrictions on gun ownership.

Yes

4 out of 10.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 09:58:23 PM »

I don't agree with #5 and #8.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 10:03:37 PM »

Only support 6, 7, and 10...
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 10:15:36 PM »

Yes.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 10:17:55 PM »

4/10.....
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 10:34:41 PM »

Nope.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 10:36:40 PM »

10/10
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 10:41:32 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2009, 10:48:39 PM by Torie »

(1) We support smaller government, smaller national debt, lower deficits and lower taxes by opposing bills like Obama’s “stimulus” bill; [spam feel good question. The devil is in the details. The stimulus money was probably largely wasted by not focusing on incentivising hiring and apparently the bill had a minimal impact on the economy and job creation, but that is based on the details, not some over-arching small government grand unified theory.]

(2) We support market-based health care reform and oppose Obama-style government run health care; [Too vague to comment; I support mandatory insurance and oppose the public option and single payer, so should I answer yes or no, and market based health reform does not seem to address what to do with the impecunious.]

(3) We support market-based energy reforms by opposing cap and trade legislation; [Agree, but cap and trade is dead anyway, so it's kind of moot.]

(4) We support workers’ right to secret ballot by opposing card check; [Yes!]

(5) We support legal immigration and assimilation into American society by opposing amnesty for illegal immigrants; [Some form of amnesty is essential, and my ideas are too discursive to outline here, but I am between the parties on this issue, good moderate that I am. Smiley )

(6) We support victory in Iraq and Afghanistan by supporting military-recommended troop surges; [Generally agree, but the term "victory" is inane. The goal is and must be far more modest than that, along the lines, that we don't want to leave a rogue nation in place over time that causes the planet heartburn big time down the line.]

(7) We support containment of Iran and North Korea, particularly effective action to eliminate their nuclear weapons threat; [Sure, easier said than done, and the tough issue is what to do if nothing works short of acts of violence.]

(8 ) We support retention of the Defense of Marriage Act; [No!]

(9) We support protecting the lives of vulnerable persons by opposing health care rationing and denial of health care and government funding of abortion; and [No! Rationing is essential, and if abortion is legal it should be funded.]

(10) We support the right to keep and bear arms by opposing government restrictions on gun ownership. [I don't think so in the sense that I am a Baysian on this, and want to weigh the costs and benefits in specific instances, and do support Fed action where wise because guns are easily transportable across state lines]

So which party do I belong in folks?  Tell me. Thanks in advance. Smiley
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 10:52:40 PM »

Torie,

You seem to agree with the GOP on 1/2 of those listed issues.  I see you as an independent, if not a more Democratic than Republican leaning one.

Anyway, I agree with the GOP on 8 of those 10 issues.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 10:58:18 PM »

1.Yes
2.Yes
3.Yes
4.Absolutely
5.Absolutely
6.No
7.Yes
8.No
9.Absolutely Not
10.Yes
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 11:19:28 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2009, 11:22:19 PM by SoIA NiK »

(9) We support protecting the lives of vulnerable persons by opposing health care rationing and denial of health care and government funding of abortion;

Am I a good Republican? I agree with 7/10, bolded is what I agree. 5 and 10 were a bit vague, so I left them unbolded. I support the right to bear arms, just support background checks. As for Immigration, I support a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants and wish to make the English language an official language.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 11:20:16 PM »

So which party do I belong in folks?  Tell me. Thanks in advance. Smiley

D-CA
D-CA
D-CA
D-CA
D-CA
D-CA
D-CA
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 11:21:38 PM »

So which party do I belong in folks?  Tell me. Thanks in advance. Smiley

D-CA
D-CA
D-CA
D-CA
D-CA
D-CA
D-CA

Is Lunar not the only one who marks JC down as his personal hero, ass-hole? Tongue
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 11:23:02 PM »

Torie, we like you, don't leave. Sad
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 11:35:48 PM »

1.No
2.No
3.lol
4.Huh?
5.what?
6.No
7.Yes
8.No
9.wtf
10.Yes
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 12:46:38 AM »

This test is a complete joke and almost guaranteed to chase another 5-10% of their party into the open arms of Democrats and smaller parties if they actually try to implement it.  Would any of the New England Republicans defeated in 2006 & 2008 pass this test?

(1) No credibility here.  Although he was aided by an incompetent Democratic Congress, the Bush administration is responsible for TARP which is far worse than the stimulus.  Bush and the GOP are also mostly responsible for running up the deficit and national debt because of their irresponsible spending and tax cuts.  Lose a turn and try again.

(2) That's fine I suppose but I'll be back to this one once we get to (9).

(3) As someone already said, cap and trade is market based.  Epic fail.

(4) Agree.  I am generally anti-"union".  I am for workers' rights but unions are some of the most corrupt institutions in the country if you ask me.

(5) Totally unrealistic and devastating to the economy.  Not to mention, who will they get to watch their children and clean their houses after they've kicked all the menial laborers out?

(6) Define "victory."  The majority of people fighting us in Iraq would either leave or lay down arms as soon as we did the same.  They mostly fall into the categories of foreign (non-Iraqi) terrorists fighting us there due to easy access to targets and native Iraqis who are sick of us squatting in their country.  As for Afghanistan I don't think Obama or I would have any problems continuing the fight there.

(7) Because containment has worked so well in the past.  Roll Eyes  Remind me, is Cuba still communist?

(Cool Absolutely not.  Its completely Unconstitutional and an affront to equal rights.  The modern day GOP is no better than the segregationist era Democratic Party.  They encourage a culture of intolerance, hatred, and second-class citizenship.

(9) This is completely contradictory with regards to (2).  We already have health-care rationing.  The rich get it and the not-poor-enough don't.  That's rationing with a bias against the most vulnerable persons if you ask me.  Unless you support a system of universal coverage there will always be rationing because someone will be without care.  Abortion is an elective procedure so it should be treated as such.

(10) ....and nuke ownership, and fighter jet ownership right?  No?  Then shut the hell up.  If you don't need those things you don't need any other weapons used primarily for military purposes.  The only legal civilian firearms should be handguns for protection and rifles and such for hunting.

So I guess I score a 1.5/10
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 01:16:09 AM »
« Edited: November 24, 2009, 01:17:58 AM by FallenMorgan »

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

No.  The RNC would be alienating a lot of real conservatives here.

No.  See above.

No.  Contradicts the first point, does it not?

Yes.

Yes.

7/10, I guess I wouldn't be a good Republisheep.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies