Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 11:55:46 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  Do you satisfy the Republican purity test?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Poll
Question: Do you satisfy the Republican purity test?
Yes   -16 (18%)
No   -73 (82%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 89

Author Topic: Do you satisfy the Republican purity test?  (Read 9273 times)
Mint
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2009, 07:38:35 pm »
Ignore

Its easy for upper class people and liberals to oppose number 5. Come live a day in my shoes and see what kind of an economic genocide you are creating with your political correctness.

Economic genocide?

If there weren't jobs there, people wouldn't come.

They take jobs that wold normally go to Americans because they work below minimum wage. With 10% unemployment, the argument of "they take jobs Americans won't do" is complete BS.

But that's why I support a guest worker program and path to citizenship, because then they have to be paid minimum wage and thus there is a level playing field.

Besides the reality that a guest worker program would basically formalize migrants as an official 2nd class citizen class you might want to look at the bracero program and how splendidly that was at curbing illegal immigration (hint: it didn't).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 07:45:49 pm by catchfire™ »Logged
Vepres
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.26, S: -7.39

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2009, 07:44:07 pm »
Ignore

Its easy for upper class people and liberals to oppose number 5. Come live a day in my shoes and see what kind of an economic genocide you are creating with your political correctness.

Economic genocide?

They take jobs that wold normally go to Americans because they work below minimum wage. With 10% unemployment, the argument of "they take jobs Americans won't do" is complete BS.

But that's why I support a guest worker program and path to citizenship, because then they have to be paid minimum wage and thus there is a level playing field.

Besides the reality that a guest worker program would basically formalize migrants as an official 2nd class citizen class you might want to look at the bracero program and how splendidly that was at curbing illegal immigration (hint: it didn't).

Those Indians with VISAs do pretty well Wink

LOL, Failure

Alright, if Republicans gain less than 75 seats, I'll prominently display my failure in my signature.
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2009, 07:53:14 pm »
Ignore

Economic genocide?

The fact that there's been "economic genocide" is a good reason to oppose closed borders. But a guest worker program is no good. Allow legal immigration quickly and easily to any non-criminals. They'll stop coming when there aren't jobs.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Vepres
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.26, S: -7.39

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2009, 08:18:49 pm »
Ignore

Economic genocide?

The fact that there's been "economic genocide" is a good reason to oppose closed borders. But a guest worker program is no good. Allow legal immigration quickly and easily to any non-criminals. They'll stop coming when there aren't jobs.

What's wrong with a guest worker program? Many of the illegals here just want to work for a few years and then return to their home countries.

LOL, Failure

Alright, if Republicans gain less than 75 seats, I'll prominently display my failure in my signature.
Mint
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2009, 08:23:16 pm »
Ignore

Economic genocide?

They've already begun to do that, statistics show a huge drop off in influxes. Beyond that I half-agree, we need more skilled laborers and a visa system that makes sense but I don't think letting in tons of uneducated migrants is a good idea.
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2009, 08:30:22 pm »
Ignore

Economic genocide?

What's wrong with a guest worker program? Many of the illegals here just want to work for a few years and then return to their home countries.

It leads to guest workers being considered second-class. If they wish to return, they can emigrate again.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Mint
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2009, 08:39:24 pm »
Ignore

Honestly go take a look at France right now or a good chunk of west europe for an idea of what that sort of arrangement actually does to everyone involved.
Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2009, 05:51:17 am »
Ignore

Most of these are talking points that one can neither agree nor disagree with.

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
Lunar
Moderators
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2009, 07:15:13 am »
Ignore

Most of these are talking points that one can neither agree nor disagree with.

Their actually policy implications, the purpose behind the questions, are each very clear though.  It's really just a matter of each question asking about the stimulus, health care, cap-n-trade, amnesty, troop surges, gay marriage, etc.  The writers' of the questions obviously did not want to narrow each question now so much, so they took each policy and wrote a partially abstract version of it.  All pretty simple, I think...but it's pretty clear what they are asking.  "Are you going to step into the Republican fold on such-and-such issue or not?"

The problem isn't with the actual questions, as ridiculous as they may be.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 07:17:26 am by Lunar »Logged

this is real
Corporate Worship
Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2009, 07:43:28 am »
Ignore

What do you think?

Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: 0.35

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 07, 2012, 12:03:10 pm »
Ignore

A resolution is being circulated by RNC members which calls for candidates to support at least 8 of the 10 items listed below or face action by the RNC:

(1) We support smaller government, smaller national debt, lower deficits and lower taxes by opposing bills like Obama’s “stimulus” bill;

(2) We support market-based health care reform and oppose Obama-style government run health care;

(3) We support market-based energy reforms by opposing cap and trade legislation;

(4) We support workers’ right to secret ballot by opposing card check;

(5) We support legal immigration and assimilation into American society by opposing amnesty for illegal immigrants;

(6) We support victory in Iraq and Afghanistan by supporting military-recommended troop surges;

(7) We support containment of Iran and North Korea, particularly effective action to eliminate their nuclear weapons threat;

(8 ) We support retention of the Defense of Marriage Act;

(9) We support protecting the lives of vulnerable persons by opposing health care rationing and denial of health care and government funding of abortion; and

(10) We support the right to keep and bear arms by opposing government restrictions on gun ownership.

9/10. I only disagree with the DOMA plank. DOMA should be altered to allow federal benefits to states that allow civil unions or gay marriage.

Being a Libertarian is like having a fever, either you sweat it out or you die from it.
ShadowOfTheWave
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2012, 12:06:18 pm »
Ignore

The only one I can say that I support with absolute certainty is 4.
後援会
koenkai
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2012, 12:10:16 pm »
Ignore

A resolution is being circulated by RNC members which calls for candidates to support at least 8 of the 10 items listed below or face action by the RNC:

(1) We support smaller government, smaller national debt, lower deficits and lower taxes by opposing bills like Obama’s “stimulus” bill;

(2) We support market-based health care reform and oppose Obama-style government run health care;

(3) We support market-based energy reforms by opposing cap and trade legislation;

(4) We support workers’ right to secret ballot by opposing card check;

(5) We support legal immigration and assimilation into American society by opposing amnesty for illegal immigrants;

(6) We support victory in Iraq and Afghanistan by supporting military-recommended troop surges;

(7) We support containment of Iran and North Korea, particularly effective action to eliminate their nuclear weapons threat;

(8 ) We support retention of the Defense of Marriage Act;

(9) We support protecting the lives of vulnerable persons by opposing health care rationing and denial of health care and government funding of abortion; and

(10) We support the right to keep and bear arms by opposing government restrictions on gun ownership.

I can stretch my views to support 8/10. I'm a no on #8, and #6, and I could probably argue successfully that 1, 2, 5, 7, and 10 fit. Probably.

Seriously, this isn't a very impressive purity test. Most people can stretch their views or frame them in a way that lets them make it past it.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 12:59:18 pm by 後援会 »Logged

The opinions and views expressed above are mine alone and do not represent the opinions or views of any other individual, organization, or government.
coyolxauhqui
a Person
YaBB God
Costa Rica

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 07, 2012, 12:22:54 pm »
Ignore

2/10. -_-

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: September 07, 2012, 01:01:04 pm »
Ignore

Yes, although I disagree with 8.

And 3, partly.
SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 07, 2012, 03:10:41 pm »
Ignore

1, 2, and 10.

JCL is dating a geologist
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 07, 2012, 06:21:58 pm »
Ignore

Um... cap and trade is a market-based solution, idiots.

Um Cap and Trade is a government based solution thus this statement is correct

8/10 no on 6 and 7

Congressional Races
Jackie Walorski (R/IN-2)
Marlin Stutzman (R/IN-3)
Todd Rokita (R/IN-4)
Chard Reid (Lib/IN-5)
Luke Messer (R/IN-6)
Tom Massie (R/KY-4)
David Brat (R/VA-7)
後援会
koenkai
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 07, 2012, 06:24:39 pm »
Ignore

1, 2, and 10.

You're a libertarian who supports gun control, the stimulus, and Obamacare? What the...

The opinions and views expressed above are mine alone and do not represent the opinions or views of any other individual, organization, or government.
Jbrase
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -5.74

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 07, 2012, 06:26:33 pm »
Ignore

5/5

SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 07, 2012, 08:52:55 pm »
Ignore

1, 2, and 10.

You're a libertarian who supports gun control, the stimulus, and Obamacare? What the...

1 was the stimulus, 2 was Obamacare, and 10 was gun control. I oppose those three, which is why I put those items as the ones I passed the test on.

Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: 4.91

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2012, 08:59:54 am »
Ignore

This is right.

"Dictator Paul Kagame was busy fornicating, embezzling funds, eating sausages and drinking yogurt."

Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2012, 12:50:07 pm »
Ignore

For whatever it's worth, I actually don't know what #4 is supposed to mean. So either I get 1/10 or 0/10 on this purity test.

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
Senator Alfred F. Jones
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2012, 08:24:06 pm »
Ignore

For whatever it's worth, I actually don't know what #4 is supposed to mean. So either I get 1/10 or 0/10 on this purity test.

According to Wikipedia, card check is a unionization method where a bunch of employees at a plant sign these card things, and if more than 50% of them sign, the employer has to recognize the union.

I got 1/10 (I support #7).

There is a lot of humor to be mined from this as the mind of LBJ in the body of an 18 month old baby girl is quite hilarious.

Alfred is the Atlasian equivalent of a malevolent deity.

AkSaber
YaBB God
Seychelles

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2012, 08:41:42 pm »
Ignore

7/10.

No to 6, 7, and 8.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2012, 12:29:46 am »
Ignore

Um Cap and Trade is a government based solution thus this statement is correct

8/10 no on 6 and 7

It is a government-mandated market solution.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout