Do you satisfy the Republican purity test?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:23:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Do you satisfy the Republican purity test?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Poll
Question: Do you satisfy the Republican purity test?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 90

Author Topic: Do you satisfy the Republican purity test?  (Read 16156 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2009, 08:37:07 AM »

(1) We support smaller government, smaller national debt, lower deficits and lower taxes by opposing bills like Obama’s “stimulus” bill;

No. Furthermore, the Republican record on national debt and deficits, compared with Democrats, is appalling and it has been since the curtains came down on the Golden Age of Capitalism. Lets look at the FACTS:

1. Carter (1978-1981), the federal debt decreased by 0.4%. As a % of GDP, the federal debt decreased from 35.8% to 32.6%

2. Reagan (1982- 1989), the federal debt increased by 90.1%. As a % of GDP, the federal debt increased from 32.6% to 53.1%

3. Bush 41 (1989-1993), the federal debt increased by 13.2%, As a % of GDP, the federal debt increased from 53.1% to 66.2%

4. Clinton (1994-2001), the federal debt increased by 13%. As a % of GDP, the federal debt decreased from 66.2% to 57.4%

5. Bush (2002-2009), as a % of GDP, the federal debt increased from 57.4% to 75.5%.

At present, Republicans are committed to extending the fiscally reckless Bush tax cuts in their entirety, in addition to a further $3 trillion in WEALTHFARE tax cuts which will do nothing to reduce 1) the deficit or 2) the federal debt (if the Republican track record, post-1973, is anything to go by). By contrast, the modest increase in spending, both as a consequence of and having to confront the worst economic downturn since the 'Great Depression' and the WORKFARE Smiley tax cuts enacted by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, is small fish.

Both Reagan and Bush 41 signed off on tax increases to confront the deficit, but not to much avail since the tax burden fell on the middle and working classes who were not the primary beneficiaries of the supply-side tax cuts, which contributed towards the deficit. Clinton, of course, in order to confront the deficit modestly increased taxes on the wealthiest and, evidently, with much success Smiley

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No. Not that it actually will be government run health care, of course

No. Furthermore, cap and trade is a market based solution

Yes (and I'm pro-labor)

No. I support a pathway to citizenship. Better to have these people, who face it have only came to America, to make a better life for themselves and their families, contributing inside the system

Yes

Yes - and this is, essentially, true of the Democratic Party

Neutral

Rationing is just more scaremongering bullsh**t, while the status quo has been using the flimsiest of excuses to deny access to healthcare for years. I agree with regards to abortion

Yes

4.333/10. Not that I was ever going to pass the Republican putridity Roll Eyes test
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2009, 10:33:25 AM »

I don't agree with, 8 and somewhat 3. So I guess I pass. Smiley
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2009, 11:29:44 AM »

i oppose the defense of marriage act, but not passionately enough where it's an issue to me.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2009, 11:52:45 AM »

Apparently that was my score, and it says something about why my political anchor is not at present moored as it were.

Torie, I don't know which party to identify you with, but despite my disagreement with you on 2, if you ever ran for office, you'd get at least one Democratic vote...mine.

As for the list of purity qualifications, it's bogus, just like any wishlist of Democratic feel-good slogans would be. 

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2009, 04:54:12 PM »

Apparently that was my score, and it says something about why my political anchor is not at present moored as it were.

Torie, I don't know which party to identify you with, but despite my disagreement with you on 2, if you ever ran for office, you'd get at least one Democratic vote...mine.

As for the list of purity qualifications, it's bogus, just like any wishlist of Democratic feel-good slogans would be. 

Thanks for the generous words; I appreciate it. Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2009, 05:30:58 PM »

I think it mostly says something about how gay that list of principles is. 

Is it still politically correct to use the word "gay" as a pejorative in this context?  Given your station in academia at the moment, you do know that failing to be politically correct can be dangerous to future prospects don't you? Not everyone can "afford" to just let it all hang out, such as for example moi. Eat your heart out Lunar; I just know you are consumed with jealousy over this.  Tongue
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2009, 11:34:11 AM »

I never would, even back in the day when I considered myself a Republican.  I agree with, at most, maybe two or three statements on that list. 
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2009, 11:37:53 AM »

I'm only half in agreement on the foreign policy ones, so 8/10
frihetsivrare
Volksliberalist

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -7.13

« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2009, 10:11:22 PM »

(1) We support smaller government, smaller national debt, lower deficits and lower taxes by opposing bills like Obama’s “stimulus” bill;
Agree

(2) We support market-based health care reform and oppose Obama-style government run health care;
Agree

(3) We support market-based energy reforms by opposing cap and trade legislation;
Strongly agree

(4) We support workers’ right to secret ballot by opposing card check;
Agree

(5) We support legal immigration and assimilation into American society by opposing amnesty for illegal immigrants;
Not much of an issue for me

(6) We support victory in Iraq and Afghanistan by supporting military-recommended troop surges;
Strongly disagree

(7) We support containment of Iran and North Korea, particularly effective action to eliminate their nuclear weapons threat;
Disagree

(8 ) We support retention of the Defense of Marriage Act;
Disagree, there should be no law at all, banning or allowing

(9) We support protecting the lives of vulnerable persons by opposing health care rationing and denial of health care and government funding of abortion; and
Agree

(10) We support the right to keep and bear arms by opposing government restrictions on gun ownership.
Strongly agree

I agree with six statements, disagree with three, don't really care about one.

In regard to smaller government and lower national debt, I suppose I am against the modern Republican record.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2009, 10:48:37 PM »

(2) We support market-based health care reform and oppose Obama-style government run health care;

(3) We support market-based energy reforms by opposing cap and trade legislation;

(5) We support legal immigration and assimilation into American society by opposing amnesty for illegal immigrants;

(6) We support victory in Iraq and Afghanistan by supporting military-recommended troop surges;

(7) We support containment of Iran and North Korea, particularly effective action to eliminate their nuclear weapons threat;

(9) We support protecting the lives of vulnerable persons by opposing health care rationing and denial of health care and government funding of abortion;

(10) We support the right to keep and bear arms by opposing government restrictions on gun ownership.

Am I a good Republican? I agree with 7/10, bolded is what I agree. 5 and 10 were a bit vague, so I left them unbolded. I support the right to bear arms, just support background checks. As for Immigration, I support a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants and wish to make the English language an official language.

Somebody needs to answer my question.... Sad

DO I BELONG OR NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And by the way, frihetsivrare, I agree with your position on Gay marriage.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2009, 10:51:29 PM »

(9) We support protecting the lives of vulnerable persons by opposing health care rationing and denial of health care and government funding of abortion;

Am I a good Republican? I agree with 7/10, bolded is what I agree. 5 and 10 were a bit vague, so I left them unbolded. I support the right to bear arms, just support background checks. As for Immigration, I support a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants and wish to make the English language an official language.

Somebody needs to answer my question.... Sad

DO I BELONG OR NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And by the way, frihetsivrare, I agree with your position on Gay marriage.

You have to answer that question yourself. Tongue
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2009, 11:05:17 PM »

9/10

Cheesy
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2009, 11:08:02 PM »

i oppose the defense of marriage act, but not passionately enough where it's an issue to me.

same as me ha
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2009, 11:18:05 PM »

The thing I found curious about #9 is the "denial of health care" part. I wonder if that just continues on the rationing part or if it refers to something separate. Health care is not an issue that I am as familiar with as I probably should be.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2009, 12:02:24 AM »
« Edited: November 30, 2009, 12:06:30 AM by Хahar »

The thing I found curious about #9 is the "denial of health care" part. I wonder if that just continues on the rationing part or if it refers to something separate. Health care is not an issue that I am as familiar with as I probably should be.

Apparently, they support universal health care.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2009, 12:16:13 AM »

The Dem plan to balance the books PiT posits slashing medicare spending my 350 billion over 10 years or something. The GOP is telling seniors that as a talking point, and thus it is on the list, using the rationing word - oh the horror, the horror! 
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2009, 01:03:00 AM »

The Dem plan to balance the books PiT posits slashing medicare spending my 350 billion over 10 years or something. The GOP is telling seniors that as a talking point, and thus it is on the list, using the rationing word - oh the horror, the horror! 

Ah yes. The Republicans have discovered that it's quite easy to like something when it can help them defeat something else they dislike. It helps when it's not currently a contentious issue.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2009, 01:07:14 AM »

People that disagree with #4 disgust me and are the reason I'm wary of being a 100% loyal Democrat.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2009, 05:15:02 AM »

5.5/10 or 6/10 if you wish.

I only agree with 4, 5, 7, 8, 9 and half agree with 1 (something needs to be one in emergency, but not exactly that...).
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2009, 09:01:53 AM »

Nope, other way around.
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2009, 06:06:56 PM »

I agree with everything except 1 and 2. I disagree with 2 because, while I do not support the present Health Care plans, I realize we will need to reform in some way that guarantees universal coverage. At the same time, while I DO support small government, including getting rid of useless programs, my position on 2 largely makes that argument moot.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2009, 06:09:18 PM »

No and neither does Reagan.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2009, 06:37:26 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2009, 06:39:35 PM by Governor Vepres »

Its easy for upper class people and liberals to oppose number 5. Come live a day in my shoes and see what kind of an economic genocide you are creating with your political correctness.

Economic genocide?

If there weren't jobs there, people wouldn't come.

They take jobs that wold normally go to Americans because they work below minimum wage. With 10% unemployment, the argument of "they take jobs Americans won't do" is complete BS.

But that's why I support a guest worker program and path to citizenship, because then they have to be paid minimum wage and thus there is a level playing field.

Yeah, he'd get a 5 or 6 at best, but perhaps that's why he was a good leader Wink
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2009, 06:42:43 PM »

Not bad, check

First, it's not entirely government run helath care, it's PUBLIC OPTION. Though I'm undecided on this, I'll vote yes for the purposes of this thread.

Cap and Trade is market based (to an extent) but I agree, it is pretty f***ing stupid.

I seriously don't understand what is the big whohaw about secret ballots, I mean really have you heard of the freedom of privacy for god's sake. Mega agree
That is 3 serious "yes" votes so far.

How does a resounding "hell no" sound to you?
1 No, 1 hesistant yes, and 3 serious yes

Strongly disagree, victory would be to stop sending thousands of young men and women to their deaths and to stop wasting hundreds of millions of dollars in pursuit of an illogical war in Iraq. Afghanistan? That's kind of a grey area.
2 Nos, 1 hesitant yes, and 3 serious yes

Because third world cracker barrel nations pose a serious threat to American sovereignty and are stupid enough to wage World War III? My ass they are.
3 Nos, 1 hesitant yes, and 3 serious yes.
Oh look I already failed the test!

Hells to the no, the government has no business legislating morality or marriage
4 Nos, 1 hesitant yes, and 3 serious yes.
That means if I were to include the hesitant yes right now I'm only 50% Republican

(9) We support protecting the lives of vulnerable persons by opposing health care rationing and denial of health care and government funding of abortion; and
Undecided, though let it be known that we are not even discussing a Single-Payer system we are only discussing PUBLIC OPTION!
However, I would mostly oppose such a view, so I guess another hesitant "yes"
4 Nos, 2 hesitant yes, and 3 serious yes.

Hell yes, I'm not going to even address why this should even be an issue.
4 Nos, 2 hesitant yes, and 4 serious yes

Shockingly I seriously agree 40% of the time with Republicans, 20% I hesitantly agree, making it 60% agreement with the Republican Party. Shocking.

Why 8 of the 10? Because Ronald Reagan once said "that someone who agreed with him 8 out of 10 times was his friend, not his opponent." Makes perfect sense.

Hell, Reagan could fail this test.
See Options 1, 5, and even 8 or 10 if I wanted to be real generous (look at his record as governor of California and his daughter's recollection of how he described homosexual Hollywood actors, plus didn't Reagan sign some gun control legislation? I could be wrong.....). Hell I might've missed some.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2009, 06:48:32 PM »

Watch out, everyone! According to the poll results, there are ten teabaggers on Atlas. Sleep with one eye open.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies