Wyden's Free Choice Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:16:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Wyden's Free Choice Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If you were in the Senate, would you vote to include this amendment in the current health care bill?
Democrat: Aye

Democrat: Nay

Republican: Aye

Republican: Nay

independent/third party: Aye

independent/third party: Nay

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Wyden's Free Choice Amendment  (Read 1532 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 23, 2009, 10:30:38 PM »

The amendment, basically, allows workers to seek health insurance on an insurance exchange outside of the one offered by their employer.

Here is a brief description as offered by Sen. Wyden's press release:

1) Employers that offer group health coverage must offer the equivalent of a minimum benefit plan, contribute at least 70% of the premium, and offer at least one other health plan of greater actuarial value;
or
2) Employers that do not offer the choice of a low cost option must offer workers a voucher worth at least 70% of the average of the three lowest cost plans in the exchange;
or
3) With an adequate transition, employers can take their entire group to the exchange where they would receive a group discount so long as they provide at least 70% of the cost of average of the three lowest cost plans in the exchange;
or
4) Employers that do not offer health insurance choices, a voucher, or go to the exchange, would have to pay a “fair share” fee which would be a percent of the national average of the three lowest cost plans in each state.

Fair Share Amount: The Fair Share amount is .25% for the first fulltime equivalent employee and increases by .25% for each additional employee up to 280 employees. The fair share amount for employers with 280 employees or more would be 70%.

In order to take into account the burden to small employers, this percentage could be varied downward to account for revenue per employee or other measure of ability to pay.

In order to protect against adverse risk selection both in the exchange and employers who offer the voucher, the Secretary will set up a national reinsurance pool to protect employers and insurers who have higher than expected costs because of adverse risk selection.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 01:02:53 AM »

Yes. It's a good (if small) step towards getting rid of the employer-based health insurance system.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 01:41:55 AM »

I'd probably vote for anything wonkish that Wyden proposed, honestly.  I think he has a better understanding of policy than at least 97% of Senators.  He's definitely one of the few senators actually interested in crafting good healthcare reform policy instead of prescribing ideologically predetermined solutions.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 05:26:57 AM »

Yes. It's a good (if small) step towards getting rid of the employer-based health insurance system.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 05:59:24 AM »
« Edited: November 24, 2009, 06:01:53 AM by Lunar »

With union interests even opposing the taxation of so-called "Cadillac" health plans in exchange for expanding coverage, any change in the employer-based system has to be gradual.

Wyden's initial healthcare proposal was backed by Landrieu and Hatch and others, I wonder if that wouldn't have been a better bill than whatever Reid, Baucus, Lincoln, Collins, Nelson, and Lieberman will make even if it was also more incremental. 

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 02:25:02 PM »

With union interests even opposing the taxation of so-called "Cadillac" health plans in exchange for expanding coverage, any change in the employer-based system has to be gradual.

Wyden's initial healthcare proposal was backed by Landrieu and Hatch and others, I wonder if that wouldn't have been a better bill than whatever Reid, Baucus, Lincoln, Collins, Nelson, and Lieberman will make even if it was also more incremental. 

It amazed me that when Baucus and Reid were seeking a bipartisan bill in the summer, and knowing that Wyden already had demonstrated bipartisan support for his proposal, that Wyden's model wasn't immediately touted as the direction to proceed at that time. It seems that Reid also missed a chance as he created his bill to borrow heavily from Wyden, then challenge those Republicans who had supported Wyden to support his bill as well.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 02:56:59 PM »

While their route is fairly amazing, I think you also have to admit that the Wyden bill, which had been endorsed by moderates, would have been subject to a lot of the same national clusterfuck that is our current public discourse.

Did you know that the Club for Growth is funding a primary (and Convention-based) challenge to Bennett in Utah because he supported the original Wyden bill that's not even on the table?  I think the Wyden bill would have lost 90% of its bipartisan support and would have been a mostly Democratic bill...but, it would have been a lot easier to push through still and could easily have saved more money than the current legislation drafted by twenty different competing special interests.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 05:30:35 PM »

Which pisses me off because the excise tax would be a great policy, actually controlling health insurance costs, generating substantial government revenue, and increasing real wages.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 05:42:15 PM »

I like it but it could be better.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies