Bush's Church Demand he Repent
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:26:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Bush's Church Demand he Repent
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Bush's Church Demand he Repent  (Read 6524 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2004, 02:02:04 PM »

Also do not insult the Church, it serves no purpose here.  Perhaps you need to brush up on history, the church did not cause the dark ages by any strech of the imagination.  That was caused by the decline of the Roman empire.  The Church was the only thing holding Europe together at the time.  I suppose that you could argue that Catholicism served to weaken the empire, but there were far more important reasons for its decline.

I think they ran out of lions.  Wink
Mikem
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2004, 02:34:24 PM »

Um, I'm referring to the Catholic church as being about the only thing holding the social fabric together.  During the dark ages the weight of power was weilded by the papacy as the people had little more than their religion to turn to.

lol on the lions comment Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2004, 02:43:30 PM »

Um, I'm referring to the Catholic church as being about the only thing holding the social fabric together.  During the dark ages the weight of power was weilded by the papacy as the people had little more than their religion to turn to.

1. It's Early Mediaeval
2. "The Church" in the U.K was de facto independent from Rome (and, oddly enough, always was. Amazing how a polluted streak of water can change political dynamics really)
3. Y'know I somehow doubt that the Vikings did what the Pope told them to.
4. Quit pining over past glories that never were.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2004, 03:18:30 PM »

Actually, ironically, the Moslems kept the great religious books and scripts that the Christian fathers had written. You can thank the scholars in the early muslim faith for keeping europes great ancient texts and the such.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2004, 03:30:13 PM »

Actually, ironically, the Moslems kept the great religious books and scripts that the Christian fathers had written. You can thank the scholars in the early muslim faith for keeping europes great ancient texts and the such.

Any 'great texts' came from the pagan Greeks and Romans, not the Christians.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2004, 03:38:43 PM »

Even atheist scholars believe the Bible is a great work. Comeon now lets give a LITTLE ground here, ok?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2004, 03:47:06 PM »

And medical books
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2004, 03:48:57 PM »

And medical books

Also true.
Mikem
Rookie

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2004, 04:23:11 PM »

1. It's Early Mediaeval
2. "The Church" in the U.K was de facto independent from Rome (and, oddly enough, always was. Amazing how a polluted streak of water can change political dynamics really)
3. Y'know I somehow doubt that the Vikings did what the Pope told them to.
4. Quit pining over past glories that never were.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

1. Who is pining about glories?  I'm not proclaiming the papacy as the end-all-be-all of civilized history, I just asked that the Church not be insulted.  Get off your high horse.

2.  Are you denying that the pope wielded more power from Rome than any secular kings on the continent for centuries?  I am not saying this is good or bad or glorious, IT JUST WAS.

3.  Perhaps I should have taken the time that I was referring to the continental christians in the early midieval period, excuse me but I didn't think I needed to explain every last thing, lest it be picked apart as technically incorrect, as it had nothing to do with the actual conversation anyway. 

I simply brought up a topic that I came across on television as I thought it would provide an interesting discussion, but it seems all you want to do is argue with me about western history. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2004, 05:08:20 AM »

Even atheist scholars believe the Bible is a great work. Comeon now lets give a LITTLE ground here, ok?

It is absolute crap compared to Aristotle, Plato, Archimedes, etc.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies