Bush's Church Demand he Repent (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:27:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Bush's Church Demand he Repent (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bush's Church Demand he Repent  (Read 6568 times)
Mikem
Rookie

« on: October 19, 2004, 09:38:02 AM »

I was flipping past the religious channel Sunday, and I came acorss an interview with a Canon lawyer, didn't look at his name.  He made it very clear that in the eyes of the Church ANY Catholic who publically supports abortion rights is by default guilty of herasy.  He continued to explain that casting a vote for a candidate who supported abortion WAS equal to public support, since you are seeking to empower a public official whom you know to be for abortion.  He stated that all other issues are subservient to this one.  Although he didn't mention Kerry by name, it was obvious that he was saying a vote for Kerry is herasy.

Not saying that I agree with this, but found it interesting.
Mikem
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 01:59:09 PM »

Yes, fascinating, the voice of the institution that gave us the Dark Ages is so useful in 2004.

There are many people that follow the Church you know, I'm sure that their opinions don't matter to you though.  I thought it was really off the wall that they were telling people who to vote for. 

Also do not insult the Church, it serves no purpose here.  Perhaps you need to brush up on history, the church did not cause the dark ages by any strech of the imagination.  That was caused by the decline of the Roman empire.  The Church was the only thing holding Europe together at the time.  I suppose that you could argue that Catholicism served to weaken the empire, but there were far more important reasons for its decline.
Mikem
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 02:34:24 PM »

Um, I'm referring to the Catholic church as being about the only thing holding the social fabric together.  During the dark ages the weight of power was weilded by the papacy as the people had little more than their religion to turn to.

lol on the lions comment Smiley
Mikem
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 04:23:11 PM »

1. It's Early Mediaeval
2. "The Church" in the U.K was de facto independent from Rome (and, oddly enough, always was. Amazing how a polluted streak of water can change political dynamics really)
3. Y'know I somehow doubt that the Vikings did what the Pope told them to.
4. Quit pining over past glories that never were.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

1. Who is pining about glories?  I'm not proclaiming the papacy as the end-all-be-all of civilized history, I just asked that the Church not be insulted.  Get off your high horse.

2.  Are you denying that the pope wielded more power from Rome than any secular kings on the continent for centuries?  I am not saying this is good or bad or glorious, IT JUST WAS.

3.  Perhaps I should have taken the time that I was referring to the continental christians in the early midieval period, excuse me but I didn't think I needed to explain every last thing, lest it be picked apart as technically incorrect, as it had nothing to do with the actual conversation anyway. 

I simply brought up a topic that I came across on television as I thought it would provide an interesting discussion, but it seems all you want to do is argue with me about western history. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies