Fiscal Responsibility Bill [On President's Desk] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:32:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Fiscal Responsibility Bill [On President's Desk] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fiscal Responsibility Bill [On President's Desk]  (Read 12510 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« on: November 26, 2009, 03:52:47 AM »

In general, this bill has the right idea. Tax cuts for the lower classes and a higher 50% bracket from a certain point on.

I believe in progressive taxation, and I also believe in cutting the deficit.

One thing I don't agree with here is the marriage penalty for couples that make $1 Mio. together. I see no reason we should not allow them both individually to earn that amount before coming into the 50% bracket.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 07:17:44 AM »

Be happy I'm willing to go that far. Take what you can get Smiley
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 09:36:45 AM »

There's no point in a 1% rate. Just don't tax income under $8,025. I also think that a 50% rate should cut in much earlier than a million, but I suspect that I might be in a small minority on that Tongue

I agree on the 1% with you and Afleitch, we might as well just raise the standard deduction and start taxation at 10% or so from a certain point.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 01:15:41 PM »

Don't ever claim to be a fiscal conservative again.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 02:08:34 PM »

And you know perfectly well that you won't find a majority in the Senate to cut the programs you'd like to.

Now you have a choice between:

a.) paying for these programs
b.) running up the deficit.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 03:18:08 PM »

I'm satisfied with that compromise. In exchange for having over $15,000 tax free and married couples not being punished as much, I have no problem accepting the highest bracket.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 03:46:39 PM »

I haven't heard any convincing arguments that would prevent me from voting in favor of this legislation.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing the two highest brackets integrated into one 50% bracket, as 60% is quite high, but even if it stays as it is presently, I intend to vote for this.

It's a matter of fiscal responsibility for me, and I believe this tax system, combined with the high individual deduction, is actually very friendly to the lower, middle and even upper middle class.

I'm not concerned about someone making over $2 million a year having to pay half or slightly more of what he makes over $2 million. We are only taxing at that rate from that point on, it's not like he's going to be paying over 50% of his total income!

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 06:57:12 AM »

I'm interested in the separate provisions for tax rates for marrieds.

I'm not greatly inclined towards having tax incentives for marriage anyway but I raise the point particularly because, so far as I thought, Atlasia doesn't recognise marriage.

I believe Atlasia issues civil unions to any two adults, right?

I suppose we could change the wording Smiley
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 07:08:22 AM »

Yeah, but nonetheless I'd be grateful if Senators could discuss a bit why civil unions should be tax incentivised.

Respectfully, I don't feel that they are. All it does is allow both members of a civil union to earn the same amount as if they were single. If that weren't allowed, I would feel that we would be punishing civil unions.

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 02:53:23 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Link please, I couldn't find anything subsidizing higher education on the wiki Smiley

The "Help Atlasia Study Act" that I proposed did provide subsidies for higher education.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 05:56:29 PM »

AYE, and this isn't hard to support for a true fiscal conservative.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 04:41:34 PM »

A week has passed since this legislation was passed.

It is therefore declared law without the President's signature.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies