True Justice: Gantt beats Helms in 1990! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:45:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  True Justice: Gantt beats Helms in 1990! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How the hell should win the election?
Mario Cuomo

George HW Bush

Ross H. Perot

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: True Justice: Gantt beats Helms in 1990!  (Read 36071 times)
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« on: May 24, 2010, 09:53:34 PM »

Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 12:37:11 PM »

Why did I think that if the election went to the house that the candidate in last place in a three way race was dropped from consideration?

An excerpt from the 12th Amendment:

The person having the greatest Number of votes for President, shall be the President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed; and if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President. But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote; a quorum for this purpose shall consist of a member or members from two-thirds of the states, and a majority of all the states shall be necessary to a choice. And if the House of Representatives shall not choose a President whenever the right of choice shall devolve upon them, before the fourth day of March next following, then the Vice-President shall act as President, as in the case of the death or other constitutional disability of the President.

I think Bush and Gantt should win. That would make for some very interesting developments later on.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 03:02:23 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2010, 03:04:48 PM by Vazdul »

I have a few nitpicks about this. First, the Gingrich delay tactic would not even have been necessary. Title 3, Section 15 of the United States Code sets the date for the counting of Electoral Votes at January 6th (after the newly elected Congress is sworn in on January 3rd), so the newly elected Congress always has the responsibility of electing the President and Vice President if there is no electoral majority.

Second, the quorum is not "2/3rds of members from two-thirds of the states," it is "a member or members from two-thirds of the states." This, however, is a moot point anyway because of the first point above.

Third, as per the 20th Amendment, Gantt will not become president, instead he "shall act as President until a President shall have qualified." Presumably, the House gets to keep trying until they pick someone.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 04:31:38 PM »

This is the awesome timeline that I single-handedly derailed by nitpicking about constitutional issues. I am so sorry!
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 05:51:44 PM »

This is the awesome timeline that I single-handedly derailed by nitpicking about constitutional issues. I am so sorry!

Dude it's not your fault at all alright?  I'm just a very lazyass updater who takes months sometimes to update timelines.
I'll probably have an update up sometime tomorrow or Friday (because I am busy as f*** today).
No need to apologize, you were right after all.

It's okay. I was just worried about the fact that I started nitpicking, and right after that the updates stopped.

By the way, I have added a poll asking who you want to see as president.  Whether or not this impacts the course I take is uncertain (I'm trying to think how, in such a polarized environment, someone will finally get elected), but your opinions would be really valuable.

I think an interesting way of solving this problem (while maintaining constitutional integrity) would be that the House remains deadlocked until after the 1994 midterms. Acting President Gantt proves to be more popular than Clinton was during his early years, but it's not enough to save the congressional Democrats, who lose control of Congress as in RL. The newly elected House chooses Bush, who proves to be even more of a failure in his second term, and Gantt wins the presidency in 1996.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 07:14:39 PM »

I'm glad this is back. Keep it coming!
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 12:40:30 AM »

Well I guess I should also make a statement on this one:

Once I get out of school for winter break I would say expect a few updates for this TL.  Hell I might even finally elect a president.
This TL has been a very interesting work and I just have had lots of fun thinking of ways how the electoral college system can screw over the American people.
Needless to say I intend to keep on finding out ways to do so.

Mechaman: Screwing over the American people since 2009. Tongue

I will eagerly await the next update.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies