President in 2008?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:36:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  President in 2008?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: President in 2008?  (Read 15434 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2004, 09:58:10 AM »

Like who's taller.  Who's sexier.  What they did 30 years ago in Vietnam.  Important stuff like that.
Not this time though. Sad
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2004, 10:03:51 AM »

Who wants to replace democracy with dictatorship and send Jews to the camps? No Republican would ever do that.
"Jews" is beside the point. Who wants to murder, or just to make go away, any group of people?
Okay, nobody.
No, I wouldn't have used the term Fascist.
Although, in all honesty, Buchanan sounds very much like one at times.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2004, 03:05:15 PM »

I think the GOP will see the victories in 2000 and 2004 and want to continue them by nominating somebody as conservative, if not more than Bush to bring out the base vote (Bill Frist, for example) and while (s)he may have a strong challenge in the primaries from a Pataki-type figure, I think the more conservative candidate will be the nominee.

I think the primary for the Dems may be similar to 2004 with angry Democrats orginially backing a liberal (Dean), but as the season goes on they will go to somebody more moderate, and hopefully with more charisma than Kerry (Mark Warner?).

I think the overall election could be a battle between a Clinton type figure vs. a Bush type figure with the winner of course TBD.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2004, 05:01:50 PM »

I think the primary for the Dems may be similar to 2004 with angry Democrats orginially backing a liberal (Dean), but as the season goes on they will go to somebody more moderate, and hopefully with more charisma than Kerry (Mark Warner?).

Dean is more moderate than Kerry, with the exception of Iraq.
danwxman

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2004, 06:24:54 PM »

No.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2004, 06:35:06 PM »

Bill Richardson vs Bill Owens
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2004, 06:41:25 PM »

Edwards/Obama v. Jeb/Talent
Kerry/Edwards 2008

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2004, 11:02:48 PM »

Rick Santourum, the asshole from my state, versus Mark Warner.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2004, 11:13:26 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm Keystone Phil. The biggest Santorum supporter on the forum  Smiley

As for the 2008 race, I'm not that sure if Santorum will run. Warner probably won't be a candidate for President in 2008. However, I'm sure he'll be near the top of every Dems list for VP candidates.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2004, 11:24:00 PM »

I would like to ask you to please refrain from swearing. Thank you.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2004, 11:35:46 PM »

No.

actually he is, at least if you compare Dean's governor record to Kerry's senate record. Their positions after the campaigns started is debatable.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2004, 08:27:39 AM »

I would like to ask you to please refrain from swearing. Thank you.

You wouldn't have said anything if he has called John Kerry or Bill Clinton an asshole.  Now you're going to deny it but it's true.
Wildflower

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2004, 01:18:11 PM »

If the war in Iraq smoothes out by 2008...

I think Condy Rice would make a good Rep. P or VP candidate.  She is intelligent, well informed on the war on terror, from the south, and a strong woman.

Santourum/Rice ?

danwxman

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2004, 02:22:23 PM »

Rice carries too much baggage. Santorum is too far-right.

There are Republicans that could win in 2008, but that is not the combo.
Hermit
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2004, 09:47:52 PM »

Santorum is far too right, Obama will wait at least until '12, Edwards has barely any experience and gave up his seat in these last elections, McCain is too old, Clinton is too divisive.

Maybe a Bayh/Pataki race.
Wildflower

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2004, 11:53:08 PM »

Now, I am not trying to be smart here, I am honestly seeking an answer to this question:
What is it then about Santourum, that the people of PA would elect him? Yes RS is VERY conservative.  So why is he the Senator of PA?

I was raised in Erie, PA. which is very democratic and my curiosity is up.
My enquiring mind wants to know,
Wildflower
danwxman

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2004, 12:09:41 AM »

Now, I am not trying to be smart here, I am honestly seeking an answer to this question:
What is it then about Santourum, that the people of PA would elect him? Yes RS is VERY conservative.  So why is he the Senator of PA?

Wildflower

He's young and attractive and the last time he was up for re-election, the Democrats ran a total loser against him along with the worst campaign in PA history.
Wildflower

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2004, 12:21:44 AM »

He's young and attractive and the last time he was up for re-election, the Democrats ran a total loser against him along with the worst campaign in PA history.

Thank you for taking time to answer that.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2004, 02:35:05 AM »

Wildflower

Why are his unfavorables the lowest of anyone in PA politics, including Rendell and Specter?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2004, 04:46:49 PM »

Wildflower

Why are his unfavorables the lowest of anyone in PA politics, including Rendell and Specter?

Thank you, Beet. I was getting tired of telling people that. Whether you like Santorum or not, he was elected because he represents what many Pennsylvanians believe in. Santorum doesn't hate gays. He isn't a far right wing extremist. He's a traditional conservative and that is why he is one of the Senators from PA.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2004, 05:01:22 PM »

Anyone got a Dark Horse list?

Bredesen? Manchin? Freudenthal? [if only to see the EV map... heehee...] Easley?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2004, 05:55:15 PM »

Bedresen might have a dark horse chance if Warner isn't running, the social moderate southern governor.

Perfect Candidates would be:
For the Dems--> a Moderate Southern Governor (Warner/Bedresen)+ a Tossup state governor (Richardson/Rendell) or a Southern Moderate Senator (Lincoln/Nelson)

For Republicans-->a moderate Blue State Governor (Romney/Pataki) or JC Watts + a Midwest conservative senator (Brownback or Brownback) or a Cheney type (Ridge/Condi/Guiliani)
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2004, 07:16:16 PM »

Bredesen is a fine governor but not really much of a Democrat. He's a Tennessean who was mayor of a Democratic city a had to be a Democrat because his base is. He is an able manager and has done a good job protecting and enhancing public schools. He avoids any discussion of abortion, gay rights, etc. Which is smartfor Tennessee, I guess, but I think he'd be a tough sell in the blue states.

He is affable but boring; I cannot see him generating much enthusiasm on a national level. He could be a great middle of the road manager, but a lousy candidate.
Lord Grattan
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2004, 11:02:35 PM »

I do not know for sure where Gov. Romney was born.  However, his father was Gov. of Michigan from 1963-69, so he was probably born in Michigan.  What I've heard of his politics and style I am impressed with.
W in 2004
Rookie

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2004, 09:31:38 PM »

I would like to see Rudy Giuliani run against Hillary in 2008.  Hey Keystone Phil, who is the guy on the right in your signature?  I just noticed you are now Vice President!  Belated Congratulations!  I have not been around much because I am so busy with college.   
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies