Ukraine 2010 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:43:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ukraine 2010 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ukraine 2010  (Read 25509 times)
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« on: January 18, 2010, 08:04:48 AM »

Wow, Ukrainian is hilarious.  (If you're Russian, of course.)  The word for "independent [of party]" appears to mean something like "beyond parties", sort of in a spatial way, like what you see to your left when you've walked past all the parties.  And the word for "nominated by [a party]" is cognate to a Russian word meaning "stick out [e.g. your tongue]".

Guess, what čerstvý chléb means in Czech. And, for that matter, how do czechs rank the roots for Russian smells: pakhnut', voniat', smerdet' Smiley
Translayshe or must I try and understand on my own?
Čerstvý chléb means fresh bread in Czech, but callous bread in Russian. But I don't get the other examples - as far as I can see, they mean "to stink" in both languages.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 08:36:07 AM »

http://www.cvk.gov.ua/vp2010/wp313pt001f01=700.html

I guess this will also be the map of the run-off, which would be identical to 2004.

Maybe Yanukovych has a very slight chance to flip Kirovohrad, but that's it.

Zakarpat is an interesting place as well, Yuschenko got "only" 67% there in 2004, in a region that was normally 90%+ for him and where Russians account for only 2% of the population.

Any reason why the Ukrainians there vote for Yanukovych by a bigger margin than elsewhere in the west ?
Maybe because they're not really Ukrainians?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusyns
To summarize, they are mostly Uniates, with a somewhat different language and were also under Hungarian and not Polish influence like most of the Ukraine. They feel somewhat distinctive themselves and have sought autonomy in the past. Probably the rather strong Ukrainian nationalism of the current government have alienated them.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 08:56:38 AM »
« Edited: January 18, 2010, 09:07:34 AM by GMantis »

The entire Ukraine is a sea of a particularly ugly shade of teal on that map. No red area is historically part of Ukraine (though they have a lot of Ukrainians living in them - even the essentially purely Russian-speaking areas at the eastern end had pluralities of Ukrainian self-identifiers since before Stalin drew the modern boundary.)

The surprising thing on that map is not that the Rusyns didn't like Tymoshenko. It's that she wins the Ukrainian part of the Bukovina. Tongue
Even more ironically Yanukovych won one of the electoral regions in this area and it is the only Romanian and Moldavian majority region of the four Smiley.
Chernivtisi Oblast results
Definitions of regions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernivtsi_Oblast#Population_and_Demographics
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 04:11:21 PM »

I wonder from they got election results by district. It certainly wasn't from the central election website.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies