ACLU - Supporting "terrorism" ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:40:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  ACLU - Supporting "terrorism" ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: ACLU - Supporting "terrorism" ?  (Read 4048 times)
DFLofMN
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2004, 06:59:36 PM »

As far as I'm concerned in reference to the ACLU, I do not think they're some pro terrorist organization or whatever. What I think is that they're too intwined in theory, interpretation, and language to really understand what a severe kind of threat we're facing. To them, it's just a legality or has the potential to result in a series of legalities that will serve to advance their interests. That's what I'm prepared to go with.

Or maybe they do understand it and just don't want to deal with it. It's like anything else.

That is part of their function though.  Because there are many laws that are interpreted with too much leeway, they force decisions in courts (funny our government, though slow at times has a system that works) that make us write better laws, and stay in accord with the constitution.  Would you want any strings attaced to your system, especially purse strings.  That reminds me, I need to renew my membership with them. 
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2004, 07:04:29 PM »

As far as I'm concerned in reference to the ACLU, I do not think they're some pro terrorist organization or whatever. What I think is that they're too intwined in theory, interpretation, and language to really understand what a severe kind of threat we're facing. To them, it's just a legality or has the potential to result in a series of legalities that will serve to advance their interests. That's what I'm prepared to go with.

Or maybe they do understand it and just don't want to deal with it. It's like anything else.

That is part of their function though.  Because there are many laws that are interpreted with too much leeway, they force decisions in courts (funny our government, though slow at times has a system that works) that make us write better laws, and stay in accord with the constitution.  Would you want any strings attaced to your system, especially purse strings.  That reminds me, I need to renew my membership with them. 

Which suggests that liberals really do see terrorism as just any other problem. Like bank robbers or gangsters or in some similar category. It's not a war. It's a legality. Wow.

What did Kerry call the terrorists, a nuisance? You bet. Like speeders or drunk drivers.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2004, 07:08:58 PM »

Which suggests that liberals really do see terrorism as just any other problem. Like bank robbers or gangsters or in some similar category. It's not a war. It's a legality. Wow.

What did Kerry call the terrorists, a nuisance? You bet. Like speeders or drunk drivers.

Kerry said he'd reduce terrrorists to just a nuisance. He didn't say they're just a nuisance now. But that's not in your RNC talking points.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2004, 07:11:36 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2004, 07:21:21 PM by TheGiantSaguaro »

Kerry said he'd reduce terrrorists to just a nuisance. He didn't say they're just a nuisance now. But that's not in your RNC talking points.

Even so, what's that mean, Fern, and what level of understanding does that suggest he has in reference to the problem?

I don't get it. Raising taxes and getting pro choice judges on the Supreme Court take precedence!
DFLofMN
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2004, 09:13:01 PM »

You got to understand Sugaro that terrorism is also a tactic.  It will always be used througout history.  Do we destroy Al Queda? YES!!  But do we also target the root casuses of terrorism where is comes from, such as poverty, low education levels? That Too.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2004, 09:20:46 PM »

Alright, poverty and education have NOTHING to do with terrorism.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies