How musically conservative/liberal are you?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:30:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How musically conservative/liberal are you?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: How musically conservative/liberal are you?  (Read 5870 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »

Extremely conservative, I guess. Music holds no appeal for me.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2009, 03:55:34 PM »

Seeing as I am a musician, I am not "musically conservative."

Haha, yes, every musician is open minded.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2009, 03:59:22 PM »

I don't know, I listen to mostly non-mainstream stuff but very little outside the "scene". Would that make me some type of radical conservative?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »

I don't know, I listen to mostly non-mainstream stuff but very little outside the "scene". Would that make me some type of radical conservative?

Yes, it would. You are a musical reactionary.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2009, 04:02:11 PM »

The equivalent to a crypto-fascist.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2009, 04:03:24 PM »

Extremely conservative, I guess. Music holds no appeal for me.
So what do you listen to? Mosque loudspeakers?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2009, 04:03:54 PM »

Seeing as I am a musician, I am not "musically conservative."

Haha, yes, every musician is open minded.

Interesting given that I had complained that many thrash metal musicians are too musically conservative yesterday. Tongue

Perhaps so. How do you react to attempts to explore new sounds by scene bands?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2009, 04:09:37 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2009, 04:16:15 PM by No Culture Icons »

Depends. If they just switch to another scene style it's fine but if they go something completely different I just cease listening to them (like all those bands going to that classic rock-esque sludge type stuff.)

Consider though that we are including all of these genres in the "acceptable" category:

Punk
Pop Punk
Ska Punk
Hardcore Punk
Hardcore that is not Hardcore Punk ("Hardcore Punk is Punk made faster and louder, Hardcore is what happened when the Hardcore Punk kids decided they didn't want to sound like Punk anymore.")
Metalcore (but not a lot, and never real metal)
Grindcore
Real Emo
Indie Rock
Post-Real Emo Indie Rock
Post-Hardcore (referring of course to Hardcore that is not Hardcore Punk)
Post-Rock
Garage Rock
Post-Real Emo Hardcore, aka Emoviolence (not Screamo, that's a stupid word.)

That is actually quite a variety.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2009, 04:14:24 PM »

I listen mostly to 60's and 70's Classic Rock.  Call that what you will.

Awesomeness. Prog rock is the best.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2009, 04:14:54 PM »

Depends. If they just switch to another scene style it's fine but if they go something completely different I just cease listening to them (like all those bands going to that classic rock-esque sludge type stuff.)

Consider though that we are including all of these genres in the "acceptable" category:

Punk
Pop Punk
Ska Punk
Hardcore Punk
Hardcore that is not Hardcore Punk ("Hardcore Punk is Punk made faster and louder, Hardcore is what happened when the Hardcore Punk kids decided they didn't want to sound like Punk anymore.)
Metalcore (but not a lot, and never real metal)
Grindcore
Real Emo
Indie Rock
Post-Real Emo Indie Rock
Post-Hardcore (referring of course to Hardcore that is not Hardcore Punk)
Post-Rock
Garage Rock
Post-Real Emo Hardcore, aka Emoviolence (not Screamo, that's a stupid word.)

That is actually quite a variety.

I was thinking that punks & headbangers would naturally tend towards the left-wing of the spectrum given the large variety of styles encompassed by both genres.

Let me rephrase my question. If a band you liked incorporated significant Beatles influences into their music, but were still easily recognizable as punk, how would you react?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2009, 04:15:58 PM »

I'm sure plenty of bands I listen to already cite The Beatles as an influence.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2009, 04:17:19 PM »

Sorry, but Pink Floyd are far better than the Beatles. And that's coming from a massive fan of both bands.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2009, 04:30:38 PM »

I listen almost exclusively to pop music. What does that make me? Tongue

(Aside from a flamer, duh)

Probably center-right, though since you are an avid video gamer I will add that video game music tends toward the left end of the spectrum (as do movie soundtracks).

Video game music? What video game music is worth listening to in its own right? Legend of Zelda?

I'm not really a fan of the LoZ series music, though the OoT Forest Temple theme is all kinds of awesome.

Ah yes, I didn't think of video game music, I do listen to a great deal of that as well.

Video game & movie music are interesting in that they are supposed to correspond to what is onscreen. In context, they aren't that different from pop music, though they explore a larger sonic spectrum. Out of context, they can be fairly avant-garde. Doubly so if you are unfamiliar with their proper context.

Feel free to give me some of your favorites sometime. Tongue

How familiar are you with Castlevania? I can name off a bunch of tunes from that series.

A gamer I am, a Castlevania fan I'm not, but I've heard it has superb music.

Well, I know a few things about Castlevania music. Tongue

Vampire Killer: is overrated & everywhere. HoD version is the best, though none of them impress me.
Heart Of Fire: check out the AoS version. The CV I original looped too quickly.
Bloody Tears: is also overrated to an extent, though I can enthusiastically recommend the SC IV version of the song.
The Beginning: is quite seaworthy in the form of the CV III original, though it's worth listening to the DoS version as it is essentially the same with much better sound quality.
Clockwork: unlike the other NES Castlevania themes it heavily outclasses all successors, though the CotM version is good too. I'm personally a fan of the organ remix.
Bloodlines: is good in all three of its versions (Bloodlines, SotN, PoR). I'm partial to the SotN version, though that's the first one I knew.

For that matter, anything from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is good, though Abandoned Pit, Door To The Abyss, & Curse Zone might be considered slightly creepy.
Castlevania music? Isn't that all simple beeping?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2009, 04:35:36 PM »

Sorry, but Pink Floyd are far better than the Beatles. And that's coming from a massive fan of both bands.

No, they really aren't and that is also coming from a fan of both. Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2009, 05:04:18 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2009, 05:05:49 PM by PiT (The Physicist) »

Probably center-right, though since you are an avid video gamer I will add that video game music tends toward the left end of the spectrum (as do movie soundtracks).

Video game music? What video game music is worth listening to in its own right? Legend of Zelda?

I'm not really a fan of the LoZ series music, though the OoT Forest Temple theme is all kinds of awesome.

Ah yes, I didn't think of video game music, I do listen to a great deal of that as well.

Video game & movie music are interesting in that they are supposed to correspond to what is onscreen. In context, they aren't that different from pop music, though they explore a larger sonic spectrum. Out of context, they can be fairly avant-garde. Doubly so if you are unfamiliar with their proper context.

How familiar are you with Castlevania? I can name off a bunch of tunes from that series.

Vampire Killer: is overrated & everywhere. HoD version is the best, though none of them impress me.
Bloody Tears: is also overrated to an extent, though I can enthusiastically recommend the SC IV version of the song.
The Beginning: is quite seaworthy in the form of the CV III original, though it's worth listening to the DoS version as it is essentially the same with much better sound quality.
Clockwork: unlike the other NES Castlevania themes it heavily outclasses all successors, though the CotM version is good too. I'm personally a fan of the organ remix.
Bloodlines: is good in all three of its versions (Bloodlines, SotN, PoR). I'm partial to the SotN version, though that's the first one I knew.

For that matter, anything from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is good, though Abandoned Pit, Door To The Abyss, & Curse Zone might be considered slightly creepy.

In the same way all rock music is simple string pulling, perhaps so.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2009, 05:41:13 PM »

If you haven't played a Castlevania game since the SNES, then, yes.

Although, since Castlevania music was brought up, I feel obligated to point out this hilarious video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3645661737840311329#

(Not exactly the greatest music video ever made)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2009, 06:05:43 PM »

I listen mostly to 60's and 70's Classic Rock.  Call that what you will.

I call that me... when I was 13. There is plenty of good stuff there but you should really try to expand your horizons.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2009, 07:03:05 PM »

This is a pretty stupidly worded question. I'd say I'm liberal musically because my favorite bands have all been music's innovators the last 10-20 years. At the same time you could consider me conservative because I mostly only listen to indie, post-rock, pop punk, punk, emo and some hip-hop and folk, plus obligatory bands like The Beatles, The Beach Boys, The Who etc.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2009, 07:25:15 PM »

I'd say I'm liberal musically because my favorite bands have all been music's innovators the last 10-20 years.

That would only necessarily mean that the creative masterminds of those bands are musically liberal. Now if you are also a big fan of the genres that spawned those bands & similar bands that emerged around the same time, but who ultimately didn't innovate as much or at all, then I would agree that means you are musically liberal.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2009, 07:26:59 PM »

No, they really aren't and that is also coming from a fan of both. Tongue
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2009, 07:43:11 PM »

As most of you know already, I listen only to classical music.

Guess that makes me very conservative. Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2009, 09:37:33 PM »

Centrist
I like just about everything. Today, I listed to opera, rap, country, jazz, and pop. Not too crazy on southern bluegrass though...
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2009, 09:40:41 PM »

ultra-liberal
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2009, 09:43:43 PM »

Centrist. I hate rap, hip/hop, and any music where the singers voice is synthesized. I listen mostly to rock hits from the '70s - '90s, though I do have some less mainstream stuff from the period. Not a big fan of metal. I also listen to a little country.

Honestly, save Coldplay, I don't really like any music made after 2002 or so.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2009, 09:48:36 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies