1924: Davis defeats Coolidge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:09:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  1924: Davis defeats Coolidge
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Poll
Question: Opinion of this TL
Positive

Negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: 1924: Davis defeats Coolidge  (Read 52366 times)
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2010, 07:56:20 PM »

Right... first people are bitching about lack of "serious" TLs, and when I resume one, I'm still a spacegot.

Three and half hours isn't a very long time to wait for a response.

Personally, I think it's very good.
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2010, 10:39:17 AM »

Right... first people are bitching about lack of "serious" TLs, and when I resume one, I'm still a spacegot.

I'm liking it. I've got a time-line for a similar period running.. I'll make sure to stay clear of your ideas Tongue
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2010, 04:06:32 PM »

I've just been reading for the first time - quite interesting!

I was surprised that Davis would have signed Smoot-Hawley.  I know it's going back a bit, but any thoughts on why he would have?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2011, 11:36:48 AM »

Yeah, I'll try to revive this one more time...
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »

Yeah, I'll try to revive this one more time...

Please do, it is quite good
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2011, 08:02:53 PM »

The worst problem is format I decided to go with. Wiriting date-by-date stuff if really difficult Sad
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2011, 02:36:01 PM »

Love this timeline. I hope it can be continued in any format!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2011, 03:27:03 PM »

Love this timeline. I hope it can be continued in any format!

Thanks. Hopefully, I'll be able to make a new entry tomorrow.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2011, 02:48:59 PM »

June 29, 1935: Staff talks between Great Britain and Germany began.

July 4, 1935: On the day of national holiday the tragedy struck one of the most powerful families in Massachusetts. Democratic Governor Joseph P. Kennedy (elected in 1931) and his two sons, Joseph Jr. and John, are killed when private aircraft crashed onto a sea near Martha's Vineyard. The remains are never found and the three are legally declared dead in September.

July 5, 1935: Unionized workers hopes about La Follette administration are fulfilled, when the Presidents signs the National Labor Relations Act into a law. The act created the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), which ensures the right of labor to organize and bargain collectively.

July 10, 1935: General Kurt von Schleicher, now Reichswehr Chief of Staff, arrives to London to discuss potential British-German military cooperation. France and Poland are very concerned.

August 14, 1935 The Progressives scored their most far-reaching goal, when President La Follette signed the Social Security Act (that, among other things, guaranteed pensions to Americans over the age of 65, establishes a system of unemployment insurance, and assists states in aiding dependent) into a law.

August 30, 1935: The Revenue Act is passed. Progressive congressional leaders and President La Follette, happy with their recent political victories, are already thinking about some more projects.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2011, 04:36:25 PM »

Great update! I think it will be very interesting to see who will take the Kennedy mantle (probaly Robert), and what will happen to the declining Republicans.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2011, 05:02:27 PM »

Great update! I think it will be very interesting to see who will take the Kennedy mantle (probaly Robert), and what will happen to the declining Republicans.

Thanks for noticing I'm not planning Kennedy Clan dissapearance. It just will be muuch diffrent Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2011, 05:12:14 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2011, 08:01:18 PM by Spiro Agnew's Headless Body »

September 1, 1935: It seems, New York-based TIME magazine was predicting, that despite all hopes following the Great War, Europe is once again starting to split on two camps, bitterly opposing each other. We know how it was before 1914 and how it ended (...) France, Poland, Czechoslovakia and Estonia are firmly forming, what is called, a "New Entente", while British are visibly favoring allowing Germany to rebuild their military, in order to "restore balance of power on continent. With Italy and the Soviet Union still an enigma, all could happen"

September 8, 1935: Senator Huey P. Long, a Democrat of Louisiana who has been supporting a lot of Progressive meassures (although, as he said half-jockingly, Hoover and La Follette weren't "progressive" enough for his taste) and thus is at frequent odds with his own party, survived an assassination attempt in state capital Baton Rogue. While Long is unharmed, a bystander was killed.

September 9, 1935: In response to failed Long assassination attempt, Senator Howell Heflin of Alabama committed one of the most costly gaffes in recent U.S. political history. This man (the failed assassin) ought to be hung, but only because he missed and that monster is still alive. Journalist are predicting it's only a matter of time before Long will break up with the party, which can have disastrous consequences for the Democrats in a heart of the Solid South.

November 9, 1935: AFL is formed with John Lewis as it's President.

December 13, 1935: Before Christmas recess, House of Representatives passed a constitutional amendment (already approved by the Senate) that would allow the President to nominate with Senate approval the new Vice President, shall the office fell vacant during a term.

January 24, 1936: Congress passed Adjusted Compensation Act, which was quickly signed by President La Follette into a law. Despite some serious concerns about it's effect on the still recovering budget, the President praised the act as "giving a long-deserved justice to our veterans".

May 9, 1936: Italy completes it's conquest of Abyssinia.

June 13, 1936: The Republican National Convention, held in Cleveland, Ohio, nominated former Senator John J. Blaine of Wisconsin for President and media owner Frank Gannett of New York for Vice President.

July 17, 1936: Spanish Army in Morocco mutiny against Republican Government in Madrid started Spanish Civil War.

July 20, 1936: The 22nd Amendment to the Constitution, that allows filling the Vice Presidency in case of vacancy, is ratified by enough number of states to became a law. With general election near, President La Follette decided not to use it now.

July 27, 1936: After four deadlocked ballots, the Democratic National Convention, held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, nominated, once again, House Minority Leader John N. Garner for President, and Senator James A. Reed of Missouri for Vice President. Garner's main opponent turned out to be Senator Cordell Hull of Tennessee, whose chances were diminished by his outspoken internationalist positions.

August 3, 1936: Progressive National Convention, held in New York City, nominated President La Follette without an opposition. His choice for Vice President, a Democratic-turned-Progressive Governor Theodore F. Green of Rhode Island, is likewise nominated easily.

August-October 1936: Although 80% of the newspapers endorsed either Garner or Blaine and La Follette's progressive agenda is under a severe attack by conservatives, few doubted a solid Progressive victory. The nation already had it worst behind, signs of an advanced recovery were visible and optimism about the near future dominated popular feelings.

October 17, 1936: Senator Huey P. Long endorsed President La Follette for reelection.

October 23, 1936: In a campaign stop in Detroit, President La Follette made one of his most famous promises. The security for all American people will never be complete if we won't create a nationwide health service.

November 3, 1936: President Robert M. La Follette, Jr. is comfortably reelected over House Minority Leader John N. Garner in a historic elections that removed the Republican Party from an electoral map. Due to Long's influence, Louisiana, even while barely, voted for the Progressive ticket, making a first break within the Solid South.

Beside gains in Louisiana, Progressives also elected their first statewide officeholder in remaining former Confederacy. A 36-year old former Democratic state legislator Claude Denson Pepper won a special election for the Senate.

President Robert M. La Follette of Wisconsin/Governor Theodore F. Green of Rhode Island (Progressive): 439 electoral votes, 57% of the popular vote
House Minority Leader John N. Garner of Texas/Senator James A. Reed of Missouri (Democratic): 92 electoral votes, 31% of the popular vote
Senator John J. Blaine of Wisconsin/Frank E. Gannett of New York (Republican): 10% of the popular vote
Others: 2% of the popular vote

(Credit for map shades goes to Dallasfan65 Smiley)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2011, 05:23:49 PM »

I see a President Pepper on the horizon...And, it looks like the Republicans are finished!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2011, 06:49:46 PM »

January 3, 1937: The 75th Congress convenes, with Progressives being just short to the supermajority in the Senate, while enjoying it in the House.

Senate:

Progressives: 63
Democrats: 29
Republicans: 4

House of Representatives:

Progressive: 331
Democratic: 113
Republicans: 11

Leadership:

Senate:

President of the Senate: Theodore F. Green (P-RI), as Vice President-elect
President pro tempore: William E. Borah (P-ID)
Majority Leader: Burton K. Wheeler (P-MT)
Majority Whip: George W. Norris (P-NE)
Minority Leader: Alben W. Barkley (D-KY)
Minority Whip: Carl T. Hayden (D-AZ)
Republican Leader: None

House of Representatives:

Speaker of the House: William F. Lemke (P-ND)
Majority Leader: Knud Wefald (P-MN)
Majority Whip: Jennings Randolph (P-WV)
Minority Leader: William B. Bankhead (D-AL)
Minority Whip: Samuel T. Rayburn (D-TX)
Republican Leader: Charles W. Tobey (R-NH)

January 5, 1937: Senator Long formally defects from the Democratic Party, followed by many of his supporters in Louisiana. Ostentatibly independent, yet caucused with Progressives, he's a reason to concern for President La Follette, who sees him as a possible radical inside rival in next months.

January 20, 1937: For the first time in January, as required by the 20th Amendment, ratified back in 1933, the President and Vice President are inaugurated in January. Onlookers noted a deep satisfaction with which President La Follette was reciting an oath that day, and, to be honest, he had a lot of reasons to feel that way. He couldn't see a dark clouds coming yet...
Jackson
United States

« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2011, 11:58:57 PM »

Dark stormclouds? Are the dogs of war champing at the bit, perhaps? Great timeline by the way!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2011, 07:51:18 AM »

Presidents:

29th: Warren G. Harding (R-OH), March 4, 1921 – August 5, 1923
30th: J. Calvin Coolidge (R-MA), August 5, 1923 – March 4, 1925
31st: John W. Davis (D-WV), March 4, 1925 – March 4, 1933
32nd: Herbert C. Hoover (P-CA), March 4, 1933 - July 3, 1934
33rd: Joseph C. Grew (P-MA), July 3, 1934 - December 11, 1934
34th: Robert M. La Follette, Jr. (P-WI), December 11, 1934 - present

Vice Presidents:

29th: J. Calvin Coolidge (R-MA), March 4, 1921 – August 5, 1923
Vacant, August 5, 1923 – March 4, 1925
30th: Charles W. Bryan (D-NE), March 4, 1925 – March 4, 1929
31st: Nellie Ross Taylor (D-WY), March 4, 1929 – March 4, 1933  
32nd: Albert E. Ottinger (P-NY), March 4, 1933 - March 2, 1934
Vacant, March 2, 1934 - January 20, 1937
33rd: Theodore F. Green (P-RI), January 20, 1937 - present
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2011, 04:33:29 PM »

Second term of Robert M. La Follette, Jr.

January 22, 1937: Two days after President La Follette began his second, and the first full, term, TIME magazine wrote: It's incredible how, in just little more than a decade, the Progressives became a major party, completely burying the Republicans. It's also interesting to look on it's historical makeup.

After all, the party was primarily organized by the progressive, mostly Western, Republicans who were opposing dominance of the conservative wing, represented by Coolidge and his infamous cabinet purge. Unlike in 1912, when there was a deadly rift between Teddy Roosevelt's and William Borah's Progressives, the two forces united. Soon they were joined by such elements like western Progressive Democrats (Burton Wheeler), much more moderate pro-reform Republicans, who were rejected by Coolidge and his wing (Herbert Hoover). The 1928 saw joining of the East Coast-based liberal Democrats, under Al Smith. While Smith lost an election badly, he can be credited with bringing urban, blue-collar, and Catholic voters to the new party. Now we can see Populist of Huey Long's mode coming under the tent

At the same time, the once primarily Southern Democratic party is expanding their gains among former conservative Republican. The big realignment, we shall say.

January 28, 1937: La Follette's second cabinet is completed, with a lot of it's officers remaining from the previous term administration.

Vice President: Theodore F. Green (P-RI)
Secretary of State: James P. Grew (P-MA)
Secretary of the Treasury: Alfred M. Landon (P-KS)
Secretary of War: Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. (P-NY)
Attorney General: William O. Douglas (P-WA)
Postmaster General: Philip F. La Follette (P-WI)
Secretary of the Navy: Ralph Austin Bard (I-OH)
Secretary of the Interior: Harold L. Ickes (P-IL)
Secretary of Agriculture: Henry A. Wallace (P-IA)
Secretary of Commerce: Frank Knox (P-IL)
Secretary of Labor: Frances Perkins (P-NY)

February 8, 1937: General Franco's forces are defeated in the Battle of Malaga by the Government forces. Franco's only foreign ally, Italy's Benito Mussolini, busy with occupying Abyssinia, is unable to effectively help the rebels.

February 10, 1937: President Marx hinted a possibility of enlarging Reichswehr due to "complicated international situation", stressing however the purely "defensive" nature of this idea.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2011, 04:36:40 PM »

I see a President Pepper on the horizon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz8RjPAD2Jk&feature=related Wink
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2011, 05:41:11 PM »

February 12, 1937: We've ended the first phase of Recovery and Reform, President La Follette exclaimed in his weekly radio address. We overcame the menace of a great depression. Now it's a time for the second phase: to make our gains permanent, so we and our children prosperity and security will be guaranteed.

February 13, 1937: A day after his address, La Follette sent a three major proposals to the Congress. The first, Agriculture Reform Act, Secretary Wallace's brainchild, was the most radical project of agricultural reform. The second, National Transportation Act, was aimed at  futher reducing an unemployment rate as well as improving infrastructure in the Western United States, by building a series of a highways. Finally, recognizing the significance of the urban areas and it's problems, the third bill was establishing new cabinet department: Department of Urban Affairs.

February 16, 1937: Soviet and Japanese forces briefly clashed across the Soviet-Mongolian border.

February 19, 1937: Italian Viceroy of Abyssinia, Marshal Rodolfo Graziani, is assassinated by two Eritrean nationalists. The guard returned a fire to the crowd of an onlookers.

February 21, 1937: Proposition to prohibit foreign nationals from fighting in the Spanish Civil War failed narrowly in the League of Nations Non-Intervention Committee.

February 23, 1937: With an approval of France and to annoyance of the British, Poland enlarges it's garrison in Free City of Danzig in a wake of President Wilhelm Marx's declaration about possible Reichswerh enlargement.

February 28, 1927: President La Follette have a very nervous meeting in his office with Senator Al Smith of New York. Smith, so far, was a loyal supporter of two Progressive Presidents agenda, but now felt something dear to his heart is missing. We achieved an historic victory, Bob, he told "Young Bob". We have a great majority in Congress. It's a time to finally give a justice to Negroes and the Natives. We can finally end with an discrimination, which is a true shame for the American spirit! President La Follette seems very reluctant, as he tends to ignore civil rights issues thorough his earlier career and Presidency to not "antagonize some elements we need in our agenda". Al, it's not that simple... Mr. President, it's now or never! When La Follette politely declined to give the issue a priority, furious Smith stormed out the Oval Office.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2011, 05:49:27 PM »

Oy. Bob skips out on the one piece of his agenda that I might be an ardent supporter of. Tongue At least Lyndon knew that the opportunity might not come again.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2011, 06:08:58 PM »

Damn, I'm in a very good writing mood today Grin
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2011, 06:22:16 PM »

March 13, 1937: With a determination of Senate Majority Leader Wheeler and House Speaker Lemke, all three major pieces of legislation are passed, and La Follette signed them into a law two days later. A happy President didn't know, it's going to be his last major achievement.

March 17, 1937: President La Follette is a committed isolationist, who believes the United States should keep itself out of any European affairs, TIME magazine wrote. However, on some scale, his foreign policy is quite active. We're talking, of course, about South America. As President Hoover started a new phase of relations with our Southern neighbours, so-called "Good Neighbour Policy", La Follette is enthusiastically continuing it.

March 19, 1937: The Encyclical Divini Redemptoris of Pope Pius XI about communism is published.

March 23, 1937: Senator Al Smith, a Progressive of New York, took a floor to introduce his Civil Rights Act of 1937. My fellow Senators, a "Happy Warrior" began, We can't talk about American Dream, if we're denying the same basic rights, our Founding Fathers fought for and our ancestors come here for, full of hope, to the Negroes and Native Americans.

March 25, 1937: Former President John W. Davis, who has been enjoying his luxurious private law practice since his 1933 retirement, delivered a speech in his home state of West Virginia, denouncing La Follette's "disastrous economic policy and destroying the very principles of our constitution". Davis, who previously denied any invitations to become politically involved again, now is at the scene again.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2011, 07:52:25 PM »

April 2, 1937: Intending to use the recent favorable legislative wave, President La Follette sent a National Health Service Act to "establish, as a part of the Social Security, a legislation to include publicly funded health care programs". During his remarks La Follette reminded a similar proposal made by Theodore Roosevelt during 1912 campaign.

April 3, 1937: Tell the President, I won't support his plan without him supporting the civil rights, Senator Smith told one of La Follette's aides.

April 4, 1937: Despite Smith's warning and his, potentially dangerous to the plan influence, Progressive leaders in Congress gladly accepted La Follette's proposals, as did handful more progressive Democrats.

April 10, 1937: German armed ship was denied entry to the Free City of Danzig port by Polish Navy. Polish side explained German action violated Treaty of Versailles terms, but Berlin Government rejected these claims. Atmosphere in Europe is rising again.

April 11, 1937: Former President Davis denounced La Follette's health service plan as unconstitutional and promised, if it's passed, to take the case to the Supreme Court.

April 13, 1937: American Medical Association condemned the plan as a "compulsory health insurance".

May 1, 1937: Neutrality Act is signed into a law. On the same date, general strike starts in France.

May 4, 1937: Senator Howell Heflin of Alabama started a filibuster against a draft of the Health Service Act, calling it a "shameless socialism"... The filibuster won one Progressive supporter... Al Smith. The New York Senator openly admitted, while he supports a principle of the national health service, he won't support it as long as administration will oppose his civil rights platform. President La Follette is in a deep hole now. If he agrees on Smith demands, he'll surely lose needed Democratic votes. If he continues to ignore it, the bill wouldn't reach the majority due to Smith stance. After just few days, the most ambitious goal was certainly doomed.

May 7, 1937: Hindenburg disaster outside Lakehurst, New Jersey, killing thirty-six.

May 7, 1937: Visibly disappointed Majority Leader Burton K. Wheeler announced, that Health Service Act is withdrawn. President La Follette's position, just month into his first full term, is permanently damaged. Progressive base is angry, because of abandoning their principle. Democrats saw the administration can be defeated and, perhaps for the worst, he lost control over Smith wing. To make the day complete, Senator long denounced "Young Bob" as a "spinless coward".
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2011, 08:08:07 PM »

Still reading. The developments on healthcare are entertaining.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2011, 07:56:14 AM »

May 27, 1937: Neville Chamberlain succeeds Stanley Baldwin at 10 Downing Street. In his first speech in the Commons as Prime Minister, Chamberlain declares that only keeping the balance of power in European continent can guarantee peace.

June 21, 1937: Leon Blum Government survives a motion of no-confidence.

June 25, 1937: Polish General Staff obtained a detailed plan of Reichswehr enlargement thanks to an efforts of it's agent in Berlin, Major Jerzy Sosnowski.

June 28, 1937: Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) replaced Emergency Conservation Work program.

July 24, 1937: Alabama retains all charges against "Scottsboro Boys".

July 28, 1937: The tragedy struck Great Britain, as newly-crowned King George VI was killed in IRA bombing in Belfast. He was succeeded by his 11-year old daughter, Princess Elizabeth, now known as Queen Elizabeth II.

July 29, 1937: Prime Minister Chamberlain accused the Irish Free State authorities of being involved in King George's assassination. Prime Minister Eamon De Valera rejected these claims.

August 12, 1937: Attorney General Earl Warren of California is nominated by President La Follette's to be the next Associate Justice of the Supreme Court. While La Follette intended to nominate his Attorney General, William O. Douglas, he know he couldn't stomach another dangerous political battle now. Warren is relatively easily confirmed.

August 15, 1937: Mongolia officially becomes a Soviet Republic.

September 5, 1937: Francoist forces are curshed in the battle of Llanes, which effectively marked the end of an rebellion. While fights will continue until mid-1938, Republican Government is in control.

October 3, 1937: With an incredible tensions between the United Kingdom and the Irish Free State, the relations between London and Washington, despite President La Follette's wishes to stay away from any European problems, are damaged as well. The large Irish population in the U.S., which is an important part of the Progressive base, openly supports their sisters in brothers in old country.

December 11, 1937: Italy withdraws from the League of Nations.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies