Government Workers Finally Put Their Money Where Their Mouth Is Bill [Tabled]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:59:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Government Workers Finally Put Their Money Where Their Mouth Is Bill [Tabled]
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Government Workers Finally Put Their Money Where Their Mouth Is Bill [Tabled]  (Read 4805 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 07, 2009, 08:58:17 AM »
« edited: December 10, 2009, 12:49:25 AM by Sen. Marokai Blue »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Tmthforu94
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:59:05 AM »

motion to table
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 09:00:48 AM »

Seconded.

The motion to table is at a vote. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain. 6 votes are required.

Aye
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 09:01:38 AM »

This has already been on the floor longer that it deserves.

AYE
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 10:58:55 AM »

Tmth really sponsored this ? Sad
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 11:03:08 AM »

Ah, nice to know how much our Senators really care.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 11:03:23 AM »

AYE
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 01:12:49 PM »

thank goodness the Senate is tabling this inane piece of reactionary garbage
Hans-im-Glück
Franken
Junior Chimp
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -5.94, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 01:17:18 PM »

AYE
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 03:19:43 PM »

Actually I'd take a pay cut Smiley And I don't believe government employees should get bonuses if we have taken steps to restrict bonuses in the private sector (though I'm not sure if we have)

Section 4 is rot however.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 04:04:08 PM »

Gee - a motion to table before I even get to speak out in favor of my bill.  How unexpected!  I can't say I'm surprised.

The reason for this bill is simple - Those who enact policies that hurt innocent Atlasians who have done nothing wrong should feel the same pain, so that they think twice before doing so.  Whatsoever you do to the least of our people shall be done unto you.

Section 1 aligns the tax rate charged on Senators with the top marginal tax rate.   This makes sure that any income tax hike will be equally felt by our elected class and the so-called rich.  You know, the so-called rich who otherwise would be spending the money confiscated and squandered by the government hiring employees or buying Atlasian-made goods.

Section 2 is intended to stop the phase-out madness that makes completing Atlasian federal income tax forms much more complicated than it should be.  There's no reason why, for example, a child care credit should be phased out based on income.  The reason for the credit is to offset the cost of caring for a child - which is borne regardless of income.  This section makes sure that our elected officials will face whatever needless complexity is added to the Atlasian tax code due to these phase-outs based on income, too.

Section 3 would prevent the hypocritical practice of the Atlasian federal government doling out bonuses while complaining about and preventing the private sector from doing the same thing.

Section 4(a) creates a Tax Me More fund for politicians - and other Atlasians - who think taxes are too low to put their money where their mouth is.  Payments to this fund aren't tax deductible - that would defeat the purpose.  Section 4(b) requires the PPT maintain a "hypocrites list" of Senators who vote for tax hikes but don't contribute to this fund.  There's no mechanism in the bill to force Senators to bear the cost of increases in non-income taxes.  But, for example, if a non-smoking Senator wants to increase taxes on cigarette smokers or corporations, they should contribute to this fund.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 04:05:04 PM »

Nobody pays taxes in fantasyland.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 04:41:12 PM »

4 Ayes to table, let's keep it moving, gentlemen.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 06:36:57 PM »

Aye
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 06:44:25 PM »

Gee - a motion to table before I even get to speak out in favor of my bill.  How unexpected!  I can't say I'm surprised.

The reason for this bill is simple - Those who enact policies that hurt innocent Atlasians who have done nothing wrong should feel the same pain, so that they think twice before doing so.  Whatsoever you do to the least of our people shall be done unto you.

Section 1 aligns the tax rate charged on Senators with the top marginal tax rate.   This makes sure that any income tax hike will be equally felt by our elected class and the so-called rich.  You know, the so-called rich who otherwise would be spending the money confiscated and squandered by the government hiring employees or buying Atlasian-made goods.

Section 2 is intended to stop the phase-out madness that makes completing Atlasian federal income tax forms much more complicated than it should be.  There's no reason why, for example, a child care credit should be phased out based on income.  The reason for the credit is to offset the cost of caring for a child - which is borne regardless of income.  This section makes sure that our elected officials will face whatever needless complexity is added to the Atlasian tax code due to these phase-outs based on income, too.

Section 3 would prevent the hypocritical practice of the Atlasian federal government doling out bonuses while complaining about and preventing the private sector from doing the same thing.

Section 4(a) creates a Tax Me More fund for politicians - and other Atlasians - who think taxes are too low to put their money where their mouth is.  Payments to this fund aren't tax deductible - that would defeat the purpose.  Section 4(b) requires the PPT maintain a "hypocrites list" of Senators who vote for tax hikes but don't contribute to this fund.  There's no mechanism in the bill to force Senators to bear the cost of increases in non-income taxes.  But, for example, if a non-smoking Senator wants to increase taxes on cigarette smokers or corporations, they should contribute to this fund.

No, Senators must be charged with the rate corresponding with their income. There is no reason to overtax them.

2 is ridiculous. Government money should go to people who needs it, not to millionaires.

3 makes sense, for sure.

For 4, smokers deserves to pay more, since they cost more to the healthcare system. They voluntary cause a higher cost for healthcare, so they must pay more. Smoking and drinking is a choice, other health problems aren't.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 06:45:56 PM »

Why not offer an amendment to strike all but Section 3, then, Max?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 06:50:13 PM »

Why not offer an amendment to strike all but Section 3, then, Max?

I am not the one who proposed to table this bill and now, it would be quicker to table it and introduce a new bill.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 07:34:08 AM »

I have introduced an amended bill (gutted to 'build back up')

Aye to table this bill.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 10:54:14 PM »

Aye to table
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States