Copenhagen
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 02:11:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Copenhagen
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Copenhagen  (Read 2048 times)
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 07, 2009, 06:52:48 PM »

It's opened.

Dunno in other countries, but here the noise about it for weeks now is "it is our last chance!!". And also, "ok, Americans are better, but they still don't do a lot, while they pollute the most by person". Also the tone is rather to pessimism here about a big deal there.

Anyways, no matter all of this, personally I think it could be one more step, would it be just psychologically, to a "global management" which is something good. For example the demand of technology transfer from Southern Countries to Northern Countries, just the fact there is a demand of "sharing" (damn, this word still exist) stuffs, can already been something, no matter the outcome of it.

Anyways, all what you would like to say about this "Meeting for the Planet" (the cause may have more impact if when they speak about ecology they first spoke about the "humanity" or the "life" than about the "planet"), you can put it here.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 07:37:37 PM »

It's a waste of time (and carbon emissions).

btw - "global management" = "massive power grab", regardless of whether it's about the environment or not.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 07:42:46 PM »

btw - "global management" = "massive power grab", regardless of whether it's about the environment or not.

In the present set up, certainly. But it can take other forms, I'm not particularly claiming for a World State. And by the way, even if I think ultimately a Global Governance can be possible, I also seriously wonder whether human can all gather themselves in only one entity, maybe we will always need at least 2, though I think a common background even if light can be possible in the end.

And anyways, outside of these considerations, I think it makes sense to have some global management of resources.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 07:54:01 PM »

In the present set up, certainly. But it can take other forms, I'm not particularly claiming for a World State. And by the way, even if I think ultimately a Global Governance can be possible, I also seriously wonder whether human can all gather themselves in only one entity, maybe we will always need at least 2, though I think a common background even if light can be possible in the end.

And anyways, outside of these considerations, I think it makes sense to have some global management of resources.

I was just being a smartass, not looking for a serious response because clearly there ain't much here to work with.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 12:13:02 AM »

Not very surprising, but the people at this conference who are lecturing about pollution, emissions, and all that stuff, are taking 140 private jets and using 1,200 limos, among other amenities, to get around.

The article put it best, "Copenhagen is preparing for the climate change summit that will produce as much carbon dioxide as a town the size of Middlesbrough." That means the 20,000 people attending this thing are making as CO2 as 143,000.

Ever notice how the limousine liberals, who pontificate about the evils of over-consumption and wasteful suburban lifestyles, are always the worst environmental offenders. They don't want to part with any of their conveniences and niceties. Yet they want to force the rest of us to change the way we live our lives.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 10:08:32 AM »

Yeah, pretty easy to hit that. But that remains a political summit before everything. Personally I prefer they waste some here and do the meeting more than they don't. Video-conferences surely are pretty cool but that may better they meet personally, would it be just psychologically, even if no one cares about it I think such summit are important psychologically in term of Global Governance, would it be just for things like resources, what we already do with wales for example. No matter the outcome of the summit.

Then, yeah, they could have done some efforts, sure. Our Greenies went by train there Grin.

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 10:49:03 AM »

Not very surprising, but the people at this conference who are lecturing about pollution, emissions, and all that stuff, are taking 140 private jets and using 1,200 limos, among other amenities, to get around.

The article put it best, "Copenhagen is preparing for the climate change summit that will produce as much carbon dioxide as a town the size of Middlesbrough." That means the 20,000 people attending this thing are making as CO2 as 143,000.

Ever notice how the limousine liberals, who pontificate about the evils of over-consumption and wasteful suburban lifestyles, are always the worst environmental offenders. They don't want to part with any of their conveniences and niceties. Yet they want to force the rest of us to change the way we live our lives.

That has nothing to do with what's right. But it's a nice conservative talking point, so keep going!
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 02:57:31 PM »

That has nothing to do with what's right. But it's a nice conservative talking point, so keep going!

It hurts their credibility, so yeah, it is relevant.

Anyway, I'm not sure if anything will happen because of "climate-gate". The IPCC is holding an investigation on the very data politicians will be using in this summit.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 03:23:11 PM »

It hurts their credibility, so yeah, it is relevant.

It's hypocritical, without a doubt, but it doesn't have anything to do with whether they're right or not.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 04:30:57 PM »

Obama will give a nice speech filled with bullsh**t and do nothing, Sarkozy will give a nice speech filled with nice fluffy words and do nothing, Harper will embarrass Canada on the world stage for the nth time.

These things get predictable very quickly.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 04:38:03 PM »

Here's hoping to its failure.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 05:01:24 PM »

Sarkozy is getting nervous:

Watch the vid: http://www.france24.com/en/20091217-copenhagen-sarkozy-world-leaders-climate-clinton-un-summit?autoplay=1

I think you haven't finished to see him making the nervous guy on big international affairs, he loves it.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 05:10:57 PM »

Stephen Harper's so-called 'environment' plan is awful, awful, awful, and awful. Canada which was once a leader in the world for environmental awareness is now the world's most regressive backwards country. Thank you, dear Tories, for humiliating Canada and destroying the environment!

Srsly, though 11% cut for 2020? I could do more for the environment by farting one time less per week.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 06:00:31 PM »

Stephen Harper's so-called 'environment' plan is awful, awful, awful, and awful. Canada which was once a leader in the world for environmental awareness is now the world's most regressive backwards country. Thank you, dear Tories, for humiliating Canada and destroying the environment!

Srsly, though 11% cut for 2020? I could do more for the environment by farting one time less per week.

Yea, that Harper is such a doofus, doesn't he know how progressive destroying one's country's economy is?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 06:17:18 PM »

Yea, that Harper is such a doofus, doesn't he know how progressive destroying one's country's economy is?

Harper also doesn't merit any praise for his economic policies. It's pork-barrel spending at its best.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 07:44:57 PM »

They've done nowt.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 02:25:59 PM »

Basically, it's punting the issue forward. A lot of people aren't happy.

COP 15 was a waste of valuable time.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 03:20:13 PM »

As I already said, nah. It has been one more preceding of global governance, in a realm in which global governance makes sense more of that.

And well, seems it really shew the weight of China too, that's mainly them who blocked apparently, seems that with the US credits and the African states they have a lot of things in their hands (and I don't speak of the numerous industries that he whole world has put there), and can act a bit in the way they want, at least in that realm. Wondering how this has been reported in US media.

Also, it pointed out the silliness of the process of the decision which requires a consensus in that model of governance, thus maybe pushing to make some change in that realm in the future.

So, it pointed out some flaws, it has been one more preceding, and it more clearly shew the weight of China.

On the realm of environment, yes, sure, the best it did could have been the fact to have been a fail, thus maybe making increasing the pressure about ecology in the future.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 03:27:08 PM »

I'll just say I wouldn't have been prepared to sign any real contract under these circumstances.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies