There's no way Bayh will get the VP spot
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:43:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  There's no way Bayh will get the VP spot
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: There's no way Bayh will get the VP spot  (Read 6581 times)
MarkDel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2004, 07:50:43 PM »

Evan Bayh will NOT be the Vice-Presidential nominee for one VERY simple reason...he's way too conservative for rank and file Democratic voters, especially on foreign policy matters.

Unlike Kerry who voted in favor of the War in Iraq because he thought it was the right "political" move, Evan Bayh actually KNOWS SOMETHING about foreign policy. Have any of you Democrats ever listened to the guy talk about international relations??? He's well to the right of many in the Republican Party, and possibly more hawkish than Joe Lieberman. His views on social and economic policies are closer to mainstream Democratic Party views, but when it comes to foreign policy, this guy is actually rooting for America to win, hence not a good fit with the Dean/Kucinich wing of the Democratic Party...who with Bayh on the ticket would start to look very seriously at Ralph Nader.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2004, 07:54:05 PM »

I like Evan bayh very much, I am from the "Dean-Kucinich" wing of the party.

BTW, what does that statement of "actually rooting for America to win" mean?
MarkDel

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2004, 08:01:03 PM »

That means that once a decision has been reached regarding a war, whether you agree with it or not, you support the Armed Forces and their Commander in Chief in their efforts to bring about a successful conclusion to that war. If you think that all/most members of the Dean/Kucinich wing of the party are "rooting" for a US victory in Iraq then I suggest you go to www.democraticunderground.com and read about 1000 threads about the Iraq War over the past 12 months.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2004, 08:13:27 PM »

I do not wish for harm to the troops deployed overseas, and to say I do is absurd.  There is a difference in wishing harm to them and believeing that they don't belong there.
zachman

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2004, 08:15:04 PM »

The Bush team applied the rooting for America concept before the war had even begun. That was how they had so much support at the beginning of the war. I hated how the right-wingers used, "We have to support our troops," as the explanation for going to war. How loony was that.  Only Chris Rock took them down on that, but his critisicm was after the war started.
MarkDel

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2004, 08:19:22 PM »

Miami,

Don't blame me for what your Democratic colleagues say on that website...it's their words not mine. Did I mention you by name? I said that many Dean/Kucinich supporters expressed this opinion, and that is obviously true if you go read their comments.

Zachman,

Yes, you should continue to get your political opinions from the likes of Chris Rock...and Michael Moore...and Al Franken...
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2004, 08:22:55 PM »

Markdel,

Do you believe I am wishing for harm on the troops overseas?  Because, if you do, I take personal offense to that.

---

I have left-wing message boards like Demunderground or GWBush.com, because they are counter-productive and the members for the most part are loonies.  I was kicked off of GWBush.com fairly quickly because I was too right-wing.
MarkDel

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2004, 08:24:56 PM »

Miami,

I have not seen any evidence that YOU personally are rooting against the US in Iraq. I have, however, seen much evidence to suggest that there are a frighteningly high number of left wing Democrats who HAVE expressed this view...hence my point all along.
Kghadial
Rookie

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2004, 08:31:08 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2004, 08:35:42 PM by Kghadial »

Yes, you should continue to get your political opinions from the likes of Chris Rock...and Michael Moore...and Al Franken...

They are funny guys. Liberals like to laugh. Basically since the previous sentence is alliterative.

At least our nut cases come off as funny rather ing scary like Ann Coulter .
MarkDel

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2004, 08:39:49 PM »

Kghadial,

Chris Rock IS funny...
Al Franken USED TO BE funny...
Michael Moore was NEVER funny...
Howard Dean is funnier than all of them...
Dennis Kucinich is the funniest man alive...

As for Ann Coulter..yep, she's a nutcase. I don't see her being a serious Presidential candidate any time soon though. In the Democratic Party, you have Howard Dean who is also a nutcase, and Al Gore who at this point is a quasi-functional lunatic who may end up in a padded cell before his life is over.

The difference is our lunatics work on talk radio, your lunatics end up as Presidential Candidates (Dean, Gore, Kucinich) or prominent Senators (Ted Kennedy, Robert Byrd).
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2004, 08:55:40 PM »

Byrd should have retired when he lost the ability to drink a glass of water with one hand while standing at his podiuma and gesticulating with the other hand.
Kghadial
Rookie

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2004, 08:59:26 PM »

Markdel,

I was talking about Chris Rock, Michael Moore, and Al Franken.

Bowling for Columbine has its funny moments. With him opening peoples doors in Canada, and getting a gun in a bank.

Al Franken's book, Lying Liars ....   , while horribly partisan it also has its funny moments.

Ann Coulter is only funny because one thinks that no one could be so ing scary.

Dennis Kucinich isn't a serious candidate, yeah sure he's nuts but at least he is harmless.

Dean's Scream was overplayed by the media.  It wasn't a crazy scream at all.  Dean was just the candidate of Democratic anger. Few if any of his actions come off as freaky nut case.

If what happened to Al Gore had happened you, you would be justified to lose your sanity for a while.  In any case in September 2001 , he spoke about how Bush was his commander and chief.  It might have been the beggining of his election campaign, but instead he supported Bush and since he didn't start running that early, it was basically too late for him to come back.  If Al Gore is insane, why would he have done that?

If you want to talk about insane candidates ...

Pat Robertson ran for your nomination once, tell me that he hasn't said anything nutty .

What about dubya's calling the war on terror "a crusade", he was saying how this wasn't a war on Islam, and yet he calls it A CRUSADE!!! That's insane

half trillion dollar deficits are pretty damn insane
ncjake
Rookie

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2004, 09:06:24 PM »

They are funny guys. Liberals like to laugh. Basically since the previous sentence is alliterative.

At least our nut cases come off as funny rather g scary like Ann Coulter .

I don't think many real conservatives even like Ann Coulter. Her Treason book made a good case for Joe Mcarthy, but shes screws up her good points by making extremely moronic statements and trying to state opinion as fact. She is crazy, although its funny to hear her rip into people when they deserve it.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2004, 09:11:05 PM »

Pat Buchanan is a nutcase and ran for President as a Republican, same with Pat robertson.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2004, 11:13:45 PM »

but then ou have dear old Lyndon...

both parties are full of nutcases. i just prefer ones I agree with Tongue
MarkDel

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2004, 12:51:56 AM »

Miami,

Pat Robertson is NOT a nutcase. I know you Democrats hate all fundamentalist Christians, but he is NOT a nutcase. Pat Buchanan...well, we have to plead GUILTY on that front...

You're right about Buchanan, he's as crazy as they come and I was always ashamed to have an anti-semitic pig like Buchanan as a prominent member of the Republican Party...but remember, he was NEVER elected to any office. And now that the Democratic Party is embracing the United Nations as the defining body of what the US should and should not do in the world, you guys can enjoy having your party tied to anti-semitism as well...and based on what I saw at an anti-war rally last Spring, there is PLENTY of room for anti-semitism in the modern Democratic Party...
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2004, 03:43:36 AM »

Miami,

Pat Robertson is NOT a nutcase. I know you Democrats hate all fundamentalist Christians, but he is NOT a nutcase. Pat Buchanan...well, we have to plead GUILTY on that front...

You're right about Buchanan, he's as crazy as they come and I was always ashamed to have an anti-semitic pig like Buchanan as a prominent member of the Republican Party...but remember, he was NEVER elected to any office. And now that the Democratic Party is embracing the United Nations as the defining body of what the US should and should not do in the world, you guys can enjoy having your party tied to anti-semitism as well...and based on what I saw at an anti-war rally last Spring, there is PLENTY of room for anti-semitism in the modern Democratic Party...

You want to talk about anti-Semites look at Robertson... Robertson has said that Bush has been endorsed by God, that Orlando Florida will be washed away "Sodom and Gomorra style" by a great flood for its toleration of gays, Mother Teresa was not a true Christian and oh yeah only born again Christians can get to heaven...seem pretty far out to me...
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2004, 09:58:22 AM »

Robertson is a nutcase, he has 'conversations with god' and prays for supreme court justices to step down...
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2004, 10:04:19 AM »

I'm going to have to agree that Robertson is a huge nutcase.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2004, 04:36:43 PM »

I have no idea where to begin, since this therad have developed into so many topics...who's funny and who's not, who's crazy and who's not, should one support the troops or not...

I believe that the support the troops thing is a weak argument for those supporting a war, simply b/c if opposition against the war was so high that it might damaga morale and hurt the troops, then maybe it shouldn't have been started? I think it's an unfair argument basically. Even though I'll admit that I'd probably use it if it was MY country involved, etc.

Partisan nutcases usually aren't very funny, in my esperience. I saw this guy Maher the other day, and he was just offenseive. I had to switch channels in disgust. I read a book by O'Rourke though, he was pretty funny... Michael Moore also seems fairly funny, from what I've seen that is.

And I'd say most of the mentioned nut-cases are pretty nutty. But Dean and Kucunich ess so than Buchanan, for example.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2004, 04:39:11 PM »

Sorry for the ignorance... but who was/is O'Rouke?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2004, 04:40:35 PM »

Sorry for the ignorance... but who was/is O'Rouke?

Some Conservative comedy fellow...I just have a book by him, that's all. He seemed fairly libertarian to me, but it was a while back and all that.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies