Are you an Alexander Hamilton Republican (or non-Republican)?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 06:08:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Are you an Alexander Hamilton Republican (or non-Republican)?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are you an Alexander Hamilton Republican (or non-Republican)?  (Read 2070 times)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2009, 03:51:32 AM »

1. It should not be the job of the government to force employer mandates. Health insurance should be an open market regardless of location. Tort reform should be implemented to keep costs down and basic public health insurance should be made available to maintain a healthy and viable workforce.

2. Welfare should be cut back, restricted, limited, and managed efficiently. Funds should be allocated to those truly in need, not those looking to live off of a handout.

3. Abortion is a complex issue best left to an entity other than the federal government. Tax dollars should never fund abortions. There is a moral argument to be made for both sides, namely the murder of a human life and alternately forcing a child to be raised by unwilling parents who likely will not provide a decent environment for the unwanted child.

4. Recognition of the fact that we owe Israel nothing, and make clear that we will no longer fund their warmongering.

5. Affirmative action is a flawed program and we must not discriminate against any groups regardless of race, sexuality, religion, gender, ableness, or social class.

6. There is no reason to keep psychotic murderers alive on taxpayer money. Put the lesser offenders to work and axe the repeat offenders immediately.

7. Unions are a threat to the national economy, hamper free markets, and kill jobs by forcing outsourcing.

8. It is important that the government work for the people, not the other way around.

9. The state should not be involved in marriage, rather, individuals should be free to enter into their own contracts that they may opt to submit as legally binding.

10. Communism was always pathetic and never would have been able to "take over America." Instead we should focus on real threats, like China's invasion of our economic security.

11. Free trade should be given the shaft for fair trade. We must not allow nations who subsidize and close their home markets to freely sell products in our market. Resources must be traded internationally on a level playing field free from currency and market manipulation. Outsourcing should be penalized with higher taxes and enforcement of said taxes, recognizing that the government's obligations are to its people and not multinational corporate interests.

12. Torture is never acceptable as a means of obtaining information.

13. The War on Drugs is ineffective and should be ended. Less harmful substances should be decriminalized and the hardest of drugs should be kept under control, closely monitored, and hopefully removed from society.

14. Social spending should be streamlined. It is unfair to taxpayers to waste dollars on administrative fees and providing funds to the undeserving and/or well-off. Funds should be focused and efficiency should be mandated.

15. Illegal immigrants from any nation will not be tolerated. They will not be taught by our teachers, they will not be cared for in our hospitals.

16. A reasonable minimum wage is necessary to promote economic individualism and protect workers from corporations' interests.

17. Income taxes should be lowered and maintained at a relatively flat rate, except on the lowest of incomes.

18. Military spending should be cut drastically and military force should only be used in case of a national emergency/attack on the homeland.

19. Global warming is not caused by man. The environment, however, is still threatened and we must maintain sustainability of resources such as fresh water, lumber, and biodiversity of wildlife. Pollution must be limited to keep a clean atmosphere and water supply.

20. Our present leadership is horrible and should be voted out at the next possible opportunity. They are nothing but collectivist warmongers.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 03:59:32 AM »

1. It should not be the job of the government to force employer mandates. Health insurance should be an open market regardless of location. Tort reform should be implemented to keep costs down and basic public health insurance should be made available to maintain a healthy and viable workforce.

No.

2. Welfare should be cut back, restricted, limited, and managed efficiently. Funds should be allocated to those truly in need, not those looking to live off of a handout.

Nobody's looking to live off a handout.

3. Abortion is a complex issue best left to an entity other than the federal government. Tax dollars should never fund abortions. There is a moral argument to be made for both sides, namely the murder of a human life and alternately forcing a child to be raised by unwilling parents who likely will not provide a decent environment for the unwanted child.

Meh.

4. Recognition of the fact that we owe Israel nothing, and make clear that we will no longer fund their warmongering.

Yes.

5. Affirmative action is a flawed program and we must not discriminate against any groups regardless of race, sexuality, religion, gender, ableness, or social class.

Social class is a valid reason for discrimination. Agree on the rest.

6. There is no reason to keep psychotic murderers alive on taxpayer money. Put the lesser offenders to work and axe the repeat offenders immediately.

Incredibly vague.

7. Unions are a threat to the national economy, hamper free markets, and kill jobs by forcing outsourcing.

No.

8. It is important that the government work for the people, not the other way around.

Meaningless.

9. The state should not be involved in marriage, rather, individuals should be free to enter into their own contracts that they may opt to submit as legally binding.

Yes.

10. Communism was always pathetic and never would have been able to "take over America." Instead we should focus on real threats, like China's invasion of our economic security.

Yeah.

11. Free trade should be given the shaft for fair trade. We must not allow nations who subsidize and close their home markets to freely sell products in our market. Resources must be traded internationally on a level playing field free from currency and market manipulation. Outsourcing should be penalized with higher taxes and enforcement of said taxes, recognizing that the government's obligations are to its people and not multinational corporate interests.

Is this fair trade a euphemism for protectionism?

Obviously.

13. The War on Drugs is ineffective and should be ended. Less harmful substances should be decriminalized and the hardest of drugs should be kept under control, closely monitored, and hopefully removed from society.

Yeah.

14. Social spending should be streamlined. It is unfair to taxpayers to waste dollars on administrative fees and providing funds to the undeserving and/or well-off. Funds should be focused and efficiency should be mandated.

One of those things you can't diagree with.

15. Illegal immigrants from any nation will not be tolerated. They will not be taught by our teachers, they will not be cared for in our hospitals.

They will not be tolerated in a house, they will not be tolerated with a mouse.

No.

16. A reasonable minimum wage is necessary to promote economic individualism and protect workers from corporations' interests.

Sure.

17. Income taxes should be lowered and maintained at a relatively flat rate, except on the lowest of incomes.

No.

18. Military spending should be cut drastically and military force should only be used in case of a national emergency/attack on the homeland.

Sure.

19. Global warming is not caused by man. The environment, however, is still threatened and we must maintain sustainability of resources such as fresh water, lumber, and biodiversity of wildlife. Pollution must be limited to keep a clean atmosphere and water supply.

Agree on the principle.

20. Our present leadership is horrible and should be voted out at the next possible opportunity. They are nothing but collectivist warmongers.

Voted out in favor of whom, I wonder?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 04:06:04 AM »

Naturally, fair trade and protectionism are very dissimilar. Fair trade supports free trade with reciprocity. Protectionism is the idea that we should close our markets to protect our own industries from competition. I think there is a big difference between forcing Americans to compete with closed foreign markets and simply reciprocating trade policies with trade partners. For instance, Japan, who have closed markets and heavy subsidies, should not be able to freely market goods here in America without penalty. Of course, I also support removing subsidies from American companies, so make of that what you will.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 04:14:40 AM »

Agree on pretty much everything but the last one. Just provide funds for charity hospitals or people who literally would have no way of paying under market conditions (AIDS comes to mind). In any case government's clearly driven up the cost of healthcare. Classic example: HMO mandates. Just compare the price of insurance and procedures before the government mandated HMO coverage in 1973. Even adjusted for inflation it's ridiculous.

Vague enough that I agree. Tongue Welfare should be state run and limited to the disabled, everyone else should pay into unemployment insurance or savings accounts so if their companies go belly up they can pull their money out.

I disagree, at least taking a long term view of things. I would honestly like to see an amendment made to protect the fetus but until there's a fundamental change society's viewpoint I recognize returning this to the states is the most the pro life side can hope for.

Agree, america should be neutral.

Agree, it is unconstitutional regardless of whatever positive effects it may have.

I disagree, even putting aside issues like race/income and standards of evidence I do not see how anyone can honestly argue for such a thing as 'humane capital punishment.' That said I do support making prisoners work, simply warehousing them because local businesses or unions are worried they'll under cut their wages is moronic.

I take a more mixed view. Unions have destroyed a lot of states, my own included, and people like the UAW do go way too far. But let's remember things like the 8 hour work week, safety regulation, etc. would not be possible without unions. Also I'd point to the decline in real wages since the 1970s as being due, in part, to the decline of organized labor.

Duh.

Absolutely!

Well, it's a bit late for that.

I agree on the first part, although I have no objections obviously to having low tariffs with countries that choose to do the same with us. I don't think outsourcing is inherently bad though, it can often work with existing laborers. An example I can cite in my own life is my father's work with the NightHawk service, they haven't really had any serious cuts in labor force yet a large amount of hospital exams are now being done by them at late hours. Pretty much everyone's better off because of that arrangement. Plus the number of jobs outsourced is fairly negligible, off shoring is far more of a problem.

Agree.

Agree.

Agree.. Which is why I advocate ending federal entitlements. States can determine what programs if any that they want.

Agree.

I think minimum wage is problematic. If set too low it's rendered pointless, if set too high it artificially drives up unemployment, and in general almost no one actually requests to work for it other than teenagers.. They know enough to ask for the market rate.

I'd prefer no federal income tax but I could settle for this.

Agree.

Agree.

Agree.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 04:19:00 AM »

Read my second post in this thread for clarification of my trade stance.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 05:02:55 AM »

I know, just re iterating my own.

17.5 out of 20, that's pretty good.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 05:38:17 AM »

2. Welfare should be cut back, restricted, limited, and managed efficiently. Funds should be allocated to those truly in need, not those looking to live off of a handout. the responsibility of charity.

3. Abortion is a complex issue best left to an entity other than the federal government. Tax dollars should never fund abortions. There is a moral argument to be made for both sides, namely the murder of a human life and alternately forcing a child to be raised by unwilling parents who likely will not provide a decent environment for the unwanted child. ought to remain legal.

6. There is no reason to keep psychotic murderers alive on taxpayer money. Put the lesser offenders to work and axe the repeat offenders immediately. Needs clarification

8. It is important that the government work for the people, not the other way around. be disbanded

13. The War on Drugs is ineffective and should be ended. Less harmful all substances should be decriminalized and the hardest of drugs should be kept under control, closely monitored, and hopefully removed from society.

17. Income taxes should be lowered and maintained at a relatively flat rate, except on the lowest of incomes. abolished

Not too bad.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 04:10:49 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed.  Ideally, it is an issue for the states.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Meh.  I think the death penalty should be reserved for the most heinous criminals, like spree killers and serial baby-rapists.

Agreed.  Although, see my response to DWTL.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Hmm...agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Until we can eliminate the need for an income tax.  Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Eh.  If they're voted out, the people who are voted in will just be collectivist warmongers like the last guys.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 04:17:40 PM »

Geez... how dare this asshole who created this thread use my name?, Alexander Hamilton thought in heaven
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 04:54:35 PM »

I think that's wishful thinking...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 10:47:43 PM »

I'd take this over the current system, though single payer would be better.

No

I don't care if tax dollars are banned for abortion, but not on spending them either. Keep it legal everywhere.

Completely agree!

Social class I could see. Agree on the others.

No, end the death penalty.

Disagree

Meaningless platitude

I'd prefer civil unions for all couples, but there should be a standard definition.

Irrelevant today.

11. Free trade should be given the shaft for fair trade. We must not allow nations who subsidize and close their home markets to freely sell products in our market. Resources must be traded internationally on a level playing field free from currency and market manipulation. Outsourcing should be penalized with higher taxes and enforcement of said taxes, recognizing that the government's obligations are to its people and not multinational corporate interests.This sounds pretty good.

Agree.

Agree. The Portuguese model is a good one.

This would be nice but it doesn't happen for non-political reasons.

No, that's inhumane.

Yes

Disagree.

Agree

First sentence strongly disagree. Fine with the rest.

LOL, yeah the Republicans are so much better.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 01:01:39 AM »

For purposes of keeping it simple, I'll do this in Agree/Disagree answers for each plank.

1. Disagree
2. Disagree
3. Disagree
4. Agree
5. Agree on everything except social class
6. Disagree
7. STRONGLY DISAGREE (Since I belong and all)
8. Agree, sure.
9. Disagree. Marraige is a universal right.
10. Irrelevent
11. Strongly Agree
12. Agree
13. Agree
14. Agree (But not realistic)
15. Disagree
16. Agree
17. Strongly Disagree (This is coming from someone in an upper tax bracket)
18. Agree
19. Disagree with the first part, Agree with the rest
20. Disagree. It's too soon to judge this Presidency at this point...
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 02:18:06 AM »

Disagree on principles of economic federalism. If the state of Massachusetts wants to have a singlepayer system the federal government has no right to get rid of it. Pretty much I believe healthcare should be decided on the state or local levels.

If your view is that it gradually needs to be phased out then yes I agree.

I agree about tax dollars not funding abortion, and I agree that the government should stay out of this matter. However, in my view the fetus is an invading organism who gives nothing back to the mother, therefore it is (just by being there) violating the non-aggression principle.

Agree.

Affirmative opinion!

Combating death with death is not only illogical but morally and ethically wrong. A majority of offenders are in jail because of the thing we call "the War on Drugs", once they are out due ot legalization or decriminalization we will have enough room to keep these murderers in a very small cell being some other guy's bitch for the rest of their lives (if crime is bad enough). I believe that while in prison criminals should be made to literally pay back their debts to society by being put to work on infrastucture projects and the like. Yes I'm a bleedinheart liberal on this issue.

I agree, yet you don't mention how they are also the biggest pushers for idiotic protectionist policies (see "Chicken Tariff")

Durdurdurdur!

Exacto mundo.

Or more like how our idiot spending policies got us there in the first place. It is time for us to stop pointing fingers and look inward to see what we can do to prevent us from entering such situation in the first place.

I'm not really sure of this view, generally I lean towards free trade, but I do admit that "Fair Trade" (at least what I've read from Wikipedia) might just be a rational middle ground between free trade and full on protectionism.

Preach it preacher!

Disagree, all drugs should be legalized. No explanation, I'm just that f***ing crazy.

Agree, for the most part.

Quote from: Restricted
I obviously disagree.

I agree.

Agree, except that 10% to someone earning 75,000 a year is still different to 10% to someone earning 7,500,000 a year. To the 7,500,000 person it is one less boat, to the 75,000 person it is a year of college for their kid. I agree we need to drastically decrease the income tax across all brackets, but (not to sound liberal) the top income brackets should still pay the brunt of the burden. We decrease taxes across the board for all income brackets as spending decreases pretty much (my ideal tax structure would look like Coolidge's, except lower).

I believe that the military itself should be abolished and the people should be granted the undisputed right of their own defense. But realistically, yeah I agree.

Exactly.

Telling it like it is.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 02:22:36 AM »

Kind of......
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 03:00:11 AM »

Yes, opening up the health insurance market and freeing it from government constraints would improve quality for all parties involved.

Tort reform is also vital; the costs involved with practicing medicine and providing quality healthcare services have gotten insane thanks to predatory lawyers.

No government health insurance though. Religious organizations and private charities should and do in fact provide basic healthcare needs to those who need them.

Abolish government welfare programs funded by taxation. Use a fund of voluntary contributions instead.

The federal government should not exist, so that is not an issue. As for the moral arguments you bring up, the murder of a human life, which is what abortion is, is definitely wrong, agreed.

Forcing a child to be raised by unwilling parents should not be an issue since there are plenty of available opportunities to put unwanted children up for adoption.

Yes, though we might need to be prepared to defend ourselves if Israel threatens the U.S. and the world with destruction at the hands of their nuclear arsenal.

Yes, affirmative action is bad for all parties involved.

Putting them to work is a much better idea than capital punishment, unless they are absolutely savagely and uncontrollably violent.

Yes, agreed.

Yes, in an ideal world. But the government never actually does.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Rather than closing off trade, we should work to further  the development of a free and fair global marketplace.

Agreed.

The government doesn't have the right to restrict an individual from consuming any substance, no matter how 'hard' the drug is. It's the individual's own responsibility.

Yes.

Yes, if legal citizens are paying for such services, illegal immigrants have no right to them.

Minimum wage only hurts labor in the long run. There are better ways to protect workers from corporate abuse.

Or abolished...

Strongly agree.

I agree, though protection of the environment should be primarily an individual initiative, not a state one.

Strongly, strongly, strongly agree!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies