Opinion of Slavoj Zizek
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:00:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Slavoj Zizek
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See above
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 5

Author Topic: Opinion of Slavoj Zizek  (Read 1226 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2009, 03:12:55 PM »

I know next to nothing about this contemporary Eastern European philosopher.  A good friend of mine, years ago (must've been 2003) told me that reading Zizek would change my life.  I never took him up on that and I'm starting to wonder if I should.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 03:17:38 PM »

A vagina lacking in gorm.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 04:06:57 PM »

Lacanian Neo-Leninist (Maoist? Stalinist?) Nutter who is seemingly unable to ever structure more than three sentences into a coherent paragraph about anything at all. In short if you like Byzantine self-contradictory political theory explained through even more Byzantine self-contradictory French Psychoanalysis, then Zizek is for you.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 05:33:00 PM »

Lacanian Neo-Leninist (Maoist? Stalinist?) Nutter who is seemingly unable to ever structure more than three sentences into a coherent paragraph about anything at all. In short if you like Byzantine self-contradictory political theory explained through even more Byzantine self-contradictory French Psychoanalysis, then Zizek is for you.

I have my answer.  I will not be picking up Zizek.
Mariborchan
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 06:00:46 PM »

I have my answer.  I will not be picking up Zizek.

Wow, you're easy to convince, aren't you? Or do you know the person you're talking to that well, that you're willing to take his word for it? Considering this is a politics forum is it really so surprising that people would react so negatively to a political thinker?

He recently published a really short, readable book where he basically explains his politics. The book is called First as Tragedy, Then as Farce and I truly recommend it. Žižek may be called a Leninist but is in no way a Stalinist. And these labels themselves can't tell you much about a thinker.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 06:08:01 PM »

An FF with a few waffles.

I really can't recommend his articles enough. Many of them are very coherent.

On the West Bank

Various
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 06:10:19 PM »

HP.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 06:13:32 PM »

An FF with a few waffles.

I really can't recommend his articles enough. Many of them are very coherent.

On the West Bank

Various

To be honest I was mostly basing my opinions on that work he did on Lenin and a book entitled something like You call that Totaltarianism, oh and some of the film commentary he did. When he's not using Lacan as a crutch for his arguments or trying to fit into the fashionable beardy-lefty cliche he can be interesting.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 06:37:25 PM »

I remember highschool debaters liked him partially because of how obtuse and difficult to understand he is (while at the same time arriving at bold conclusions).
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 03:48:03 PM »

I remember highschool debaters liked him partially because of how obtuse and difficult to understand he is (while at the same time arriving at bold conclusions).

Now that's definetly true.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 04:08:47 PM »

Read that before. Perfectly true, and nothing new of course, but hardly philosophy or political theory. Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies