Getting a little worried... (Attention whoring, but a serious topic)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:31:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Getting a little worried... (Attention whoring, but a serious topic)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Getting a little worried... (Attention whoring, but a serious topic)  (Read 6494 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2009, 03:49:21 PM »

He banged a fat whore without wearing a condom- what do you think?

Dude, that's just wrong.  He obviously fell hard for her.  At least he's making every effort not to go through that sh**t ever again.  We have to support him.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2009, 04:28:32 PM »

Get back together with Tiffanye.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 06:10:17 PM »

Dude, that's just wrong.  He obviously fell hard for her.  At least he's making every effort not to go through that sh**t ever again.  We have to support him.

Thank you, Flyers.  I did pretty good today, I didn't have any pop at work today and had all kool-aid and water.  However, I doubt that kool-aid was sugar free which is probably just as bad as pop.  Oh well, at least I felt better psychologically.  Isn't that a lot of the battle?  Where my mindset is?

Anyway, I'm not going to get overly worried about it.  I can't see the doctor until January since I don't have any leave to take until then, but I'll try to see him in January, if not then definitely on February 5, which is only 8 weeks away.  I think I can hold out until then, because I don't have any real diabetic symptoms other than the occasional shaking.  I'm not dizzy, my feet don't hurt, I can see well.  I'm not going to drag this out any later than February 5, but I don't see any need to get it checked immediately.  However, I am going to start watching what I eat and drink now, so I can have a head start on any treatment that may be needed.  Who knows, if I can do really good these next 8 weeks, while being mindful that Christmas is coming up, then I might be able to nip the diabetes in the bud.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2009, 06:26:27 PM »

Thank you, Flyers.  I did pretty good today, I didn't have any pop at work today and had all kool-aid and water.  However, I doubt that kool-aid was sugar free which is probably just as bad as pop.  Oh well, at least I felt better psychologically.  Isn't that a lot of the battle?  Where my mindset is?

Anyway, I'm not going to get overly worried about it.  I can't see the doctor until January since I don't have any leave to take until then, but I'll try to see him in January, if not then definitely on February 5, which is only 8 weeks away.  I think I can hold out until then, because I don't have any real diabetic symptoms other than the occasional shaking.  I'm not dizzy, my feet don't hurt, I can see well.  I'm not going to drag this out any later than February 5, but I don't see any need to get it checked immediately.  However, I am going to start watching what I eat and drink now, so I can have a head start on any treatment that may be needed.  Who knows, if I can do really good these next 8 weeks, while being mindful that Christmas is coming up, then I might be able to nip the diabetes in the bud.

It really is a shame we have to go through this sh**t at our age.  Again, in my case and probably yours, it was in large part self-inflicted.  I drink and have bad eating habits with bar food and of course in Philadelphia there's the 'chessesteak nightcap'.  I could be close to diabetes myself for all I know.  I'd avoid the sugary drinks too, but what am I saying- I like iced coffee on occasion.   

As for the women, well.. I know what you mean.  To get snubbed badly by women you didn't think were all that attractive and heavy to boot.  I've been there, it hurts.  And yet when you, on occasion, date a slender, attractive woman, you think to yourself "WTF does she want me for?" but you try not to tell her that of course.  One thing it seems you're making progress on is not being needy and tying yourself to how a woman values you.  You and I have our own sh**t to take care of.  I'm not going back on match.com until I have a job and have shed a few pounds.  I'm tired of dating the crap I did in the past.  Yeah, there were some 'booty calls', and they were fun, but not something I would want to go through for the rest of my life.     
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2009, 06:29:28 PM »

Honestly, all I can say is just stop eating all the shit already.  I don't know how many times I've suggested the simplest dietary changes and instead you prefer to simply drink lighter soda.  It's honestly not that hard.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2009, 06:32:48 PM »

Honestly, all I can say is just stop eating all the shit already.  I don't know how many times I've suggested the simplest dietary changes and instead you prefer to simply drink lighter soda.  It's honestly not that hard.

Are you a registered dietician?

You are right.  Dropping soda drops 12 lbs. per year on average.  I no longer eat fast food during the week or anywhere near what I did in the past.  I have friends who don't have to worry about this at my age which sucks because I have to.  They can eat twice what I can and not gain an ounce.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2009, 06:38:31 PM »

Jeff - Flyers and Fezzy hit it on the head perfectly.  I know several Soldiers who simply cut out the soda and dropped a good deal of weight. Keep it simple, drink water. Kool-aid isn't the best thing. I would suggest the green tea drinks to cleanse your system.  

Also, if you drink coffee, just drink it black - good way to regulate yourself.

And of course - exercise.  If you got $$$, get yourself a gym membership.  If you pay for it, it might motivate you to ensure you spent your money wisely.

But I feel like we have gone down this road before with you.  Grow a set and stop having a lack of will and do it!
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2009, 06:41:46 PM »

You are right.  Dropping soda drops 12 lbs. per year on average.  I no longer eat fast food during the week or anywhere near what I did in the past.  I have friends who don't have to worry about this at my age which sucks because I have to.  They can eat twice what I can and not gain an ounce.

No, all I've got is a profound interest in health and fitness.

In my opinion people need to drop the fixation on weight.  Yes, it is an important factor in overall health, but it is not the root of the problem.  The focus should be on living a healthy lifestyle altogether, not just eating little enough in one month to drop 10 pounds and continuing on the same diet.

MikeyMike brings up another good point.  Change the way you do the things you already do.  Walk places more, find a way to stay active, cut out the easiest things to cut out first (like milk and sugar in coffee for example).  And just stay completely away from things you know are unhealthy or do not benefit you in any way.  There are plenty of things that taste good and are wonderful for your body, you don't need soda and fast food.

There is no cushy way about it unfortunately.  The only thing that helps is to just get rid of all the crap and getting up off your ass and doing what you now need to do.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2009, 06:46:10 PM »

In my opinion people need to drop the fixation on weight.  Yes, it is an important factor in overall health, but it is not the root of the problem.  The focus should be on living a healthy lifestyle altogether, not just eating little enough in one month to drop 10 pounds and continuing on the same diet.

MikeyMike brings up another good point.  Change the way you do the things you already do.  Walk places more, find a way to stay active, cut out the easiest things to cut out first (like milk and sugar in coffee for example).  And just stay completely away from things you know are unhealthy or do not benefit you in any way.  There are plenty of things that taste good and are wonderful for your body, you don't need soda and fast food.

There is no cushy way about it unfortunately.  The only thing that helps is to just get rid of all the crap and getting up off your ass and doing what you now need to do.

I tell people that with weight.  Mind you mine is high @ 5-10, 265, BUT my body fat % has dropped a lot because I've gained muscle.  I'm now at 22%- still high, but now below obese at least in that category and I'm fitting into my 42 waist jeans.  Still not good, but it's gotten better.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2009, 06:48:37 PM »

I tell people that with weight.  Mind you mine is high @ 5-10, 265, BUT my body fat % has dropped a lot because I've gained muscle.  I'm now at 22%- still high, but now below obese at least in that category and I'm fitting into my 42 waist jeans.  Still not good, but it's gotten better.

22% BF for being 5' 10", 265?!?

If that is the case, you would make height/weight standards for the Army - although you would be tapped.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2009, 06:58:01 PM »

I definitely think that's good, Flyers.  You're obviously making choices that are benefiting your body.  That's what really matters, not getting a body like freakin Mario Lopez.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2009, 07:40:28 PM »

I kinda know how you feel. In a visit to the doctor's in April of this year, i found out that i was more overweight that i thought. So i've cut out basically all drinks with added sugar, chocolate, candy, pastry foods. I now mostly drink water and fruit juice, eat more wholegrain bread, eat Weetabix, and try to do more exercise for a few minutes a day.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2009, 11:29:17 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2009, 11:32:38 PM by Flyers2010 »

Honestly, all I can say is just stop eating all the shit already.  I don't know how many times I've suggested the simplest dietary changes and instead you prefer to simply drink lighter soda.  It's honestly not that hard.

You are right.  Dropping soda drops 12 lbs. per year on average.  I no longer eat fast food during the week or anywhere near what I did in the past.  I have friends who don't have to worry about this at my age which sucks because I have to.  They can eat twice what I can and not gain an ounce.

In my opinion people need to drop the fixation on weight.  Yes, it is an important factor in overall health, but it is not the root of the problem.  The focus should be on living a healthy lifestyle altogether, not just eating little enough in one month to drop 10 pounds and continuing on the same diet.

MikeyMike brings up another good point.  Change the way you do the things you already do.  Walk places more, find a way to stay active, cut out the easiest things to cut out first (like milk and sugar in coffee for example).  And just stay completely away from things you know are unhealthy or do not benefit you in any way.  There are plenty of things that taste good and are wonderful for your body, you don't need soda and fast food.

There is no cushy way about it unfortunately.  The only thing that helps is to just get rid of all the crap and getting up off your ass and doing what you now need to do.

I tell people that with weight.  Mind you mine is high @ 5-10, 265, BUT my body fat % has dropped a lot because I've gained muscle.  I'm now at 22%- still high, but now below obese at least in that category and I'm fitting into my 42 waist jeans.  Still not good, but it's gotten better.

22% BF for being 5' 10", 265?!?

If that is the case, you would make height/weight standards for the Army - although you would be tapped.

Not sure if the caliper was right.  I've been as high as 28% before and my last was 25%.
Not to brag, but I can leg press over 800 pounds and bench 230 max, which I'd like to be higher still.  I also wear a 20-21 neck for my shirts.  Not sure I'm in military shape though.  It takes me 12 minutes to do a mile, I have high blood pressure, and I have other medical issues so I'd probably be 4Fed.  My BMI is also off the charts @ 38.1 still and 40 is morbidly obese.  I don't think BMI is that accurate though.  I know I have issues, but shouldn't be classified that severely.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2009, 11:39:58 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2009, 11:42:46 PM by Torie »

My fat percentage has gone down from about 30 to 16, in about 14 months. I love to brag about it all, because it seems like a miracle. I had no idea that I could do it, but when I really want something, I usually get it. It is fortunate for society that I doubt that I am a sociopath.  Tongue

By the way, I can do  about 40 man push ups at one time now. 14 months ago, it was 3.  Smiley
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2009, 11:45:47 PM »

My fat percentage has gone down from about 30 to 16, in about 14 months. I love to brag about it all, because it seems like a miracle. I had no idea that I could do it, but when I really want something, I usually get it. It is fortunate for society that I doubt that I am a sociopath.  Tongue

That's impressive!  Another issue with me is most of it likes to reside in the stomach.  I'm pretty solid elsewhere- arms and legs especially.  Chest could use a little work and I have some definition there, but my stomach is HORRIBLE.  My genes aren't exactly the best for it either- my father's entire fat content resides there, which isn't much, despite being in really good shape otherwise and my grandfather's seemed to like to reside there as well.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2009, 02:22:13 AM »

One of my biggest problems started when I was a kid.  I have a very poor metabolism.  As a kid, I never really liked to go outside and play, never liked to mow the lawn, and never really did anything really active.  I basically stayed in front of the computer as a kid.  I would come home from school, do homework, and then sit in front of the computer and TV until bed time.  I really wish I had gotten outside more as a child, and perhaps I would have, but I had no kids my age really close by and my brother was six years older than me and left for the Navy when I was only 12.  What I did (or didn't do) as a child is probably going to haunt me the rest of my life in making it that much harder to lose weight and keep it off.  However, I will not use that as an excuse.  I will just have to persevere and work through it.  I did better on Friday, at least psychologically on the soda.  I didn't have any at work and only had two or three glasses at dinner and throughout the evening.  That's still not great, but considering I would generally have at least 5-6 glasses a day, no joke.  The same friend who first brought this to my attention Thursday night, told me tonight to not cut out carbonation completely, but switch to Coke Zero if I need something sweet or find some sugar-free kool-aid.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2009, 03:27:03 AM »

One of my biggest problems started when I was a kid.  I have a very poor metabolism.  As a kid, I never really liked to go outside and play, never liked to mow the lawn, and never really did anything really active.  I basically stayed in front of the computer as a kid.  I would come home from school, do homework, and then sit in front of the computer and TV until bed time.  I really wish I had gotten outside more as a child, and perhaps I would have, but I had no kids my age really close by and my brother was six years older than me and left for the Navy when I was only 12.  What I did (or didn't do) as a child is probably going to haunt me the rest of my life in making it that much harder to lose weight and keep it off.  However, I will not use that as an excuse.  I will just have to persevere and work through it.  I did better on Friday, at least psychologically on the soda.  I didn't have any at work and only had two or three glasses at dinner and throughout the evening.  That's still not great, but considering I would generally have at least 5-6 glasses a day, no joke.  The same friend who first brought this to my attention Thursday night, told me tonight to not cut out carbonation completely, but switch to Coke Zero if I need something sweet or find some sugar-free kool-aid.

See I at least made an attempt to play sports.  Not that I was a stellar athlete or anything, but there were kids to play with.  Problem I had growing up was yeah I lived in Philly and I lived very close to multiple fast food places, pizza places, a Hostess/Wonder Bread store, and of course bars would serve you if you could grow facial hair in the pre-swipe carding days.  I wasn't obese, but even younger I could have stood to lose a few.  Mine accelerated when I had to take Prednisolone and I had the desire to eat a horse.  I gained 40 pounds in only 3 months as a result.  Are you a member of a gym?  If so, how long are you on the treadmill/elliptical machines? Weights?  Hey, I'm tired of getting passed over for women or even good jobs.  It sucks, but I'm finding employers are even getting harsher on heavier employees than thinner ones.  And unlike race, religion, sexual orientation, you got nothing to fight it with except in Michigan and I think a few localities.   
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2009, 03:36:39 AM »

Tonight, I was at a friends house playing Wahoo with another friend and his son.  When we were getting ready to leave, this friend noticed i was shaking while I was taking a drink of coke that I had gotten from Burger King on the way over there.  I knew I had been shaking, but wasn't too worried about it.  So, he quizzed me a little bit and asked me if I was hypoglycemic or close to being diabetic, I told him I didn't really know as I had never been tested.  He then asked me if I had a family history and I told him that my late maternal grandfather had it and my mother even has it, but is controlling it really well.  So, he advised me to get tested for it at my next doctor's appointment.  I told him my next scheduled appointment isn't until Friday, February 5, and he said keep that appointment unless I start feeling dizzy or light-headed.  February 5 is a little over a month and a half away, so not too far.  So, I thought to myself on my way home that I need to make some drastic life-style changes BEFORE the first of the year.  The two main things I'm going to try to focus on will be switching my beverage choices from Coke and Dr. Pepper to water and sugar-free kool-aid and the second thing I'm going to do is try to stop going out to eat every night, which would also help my blood pressure.

Any constructive advice you can give me would be greatly appreciate it along with your prayers!!.

First, yes, by all means get off the sugary soda.

Second, there are a lot a places (including fast food places) to go out to eat where the food is not high calorie.

Third, good luck on your diet.  Hope you get better.

TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2009, 05:53:23 PM »

Tonight, I was at a friends house playing Wahoo with another friend and his son.  When we were getting ready to leave, this friend noticed i was shaking while I was taking a drink of coke that I had gotten from Burger King on the way over there.  I knew I had been shaking, but wasn't too worried about it.  So, he quizzed me a little bit and asked me if I was hypoglycemic or close to being diabetic, I told him I didn't really know as I had never been tested.  He then asked me if I had a family history and I told him that my late maternal grandfather had it and my mother even has it, but is controlling it really well.  So, he advised me to get tested for it at my next doctor's appointment.  I told him my next scheduled appointment isn't until Friday, February 5, and he said keep that appointment unless I start feeling dizzy or light-headed.  February 5 is a little over a month and a half away, so not too far.  So, I thought to myself on my way home that I need to make some drastic life-style changes BEFORE the first of the year.  The two main things I'm going to try to focus on will be switching my beverage choices from Coke and Dr. Pepper to water and sugar-free kool-aid and the second thing I'm going to do is try to stop going out to eat every night, which would also help my blood pressure.

Any constructive advice you can give me would be greatly appreciate it along with your prayers!!.

First, yes, by all means get off the sugary soda.

Second, there are a lot a places (including fast food places) to go out to eat where the food is not high calorie.

Third, good luck on your diet.  Hope you get better.

Good luck with the fast food thing.  It's basically ALL high calorie, even the salads.  Even if you don't use ranch dressing, you're better off ordering a regular cheeseburger.  I think you gain calories just from walking by a McDonalds.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2009, 08:02:29 PM »

Just stop buying/drinking Coke/soda/anything that isn't skim milk/100% juice with no added sugars/water. That will have a huge benefit and isn't really that difficult, compared to things like exercise or drastic diet changes (both of which are probably necessary in the long term).

Actually, fruit juice is not generally a good idea with diabetes.   Especially orange juice.  (at least according to my doctor).  Since it has fructose - a naturally occurring simple sugar - it tends to create a spike in blood sugar levels.  (It is however handy if you are hypoglycemic - that is have low blood sugar - to bring it back up to normal).

There are a number of things that can cause shakiness, so it would probably be best to talk with your doctor about it.   
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2009, 10:20:15 PM »

Just stop buying/drinking Coke/soda/anything that isn't skim milk/100% juice with no added sugars/water. That will have a huge benefit and isn't really that difficult, compared to things like exercise or drastic diet changes (both of which are probably necessary in the long term).

Actually, fruit juice is not generally a good idea with diabetes.   Especially orange juice.  (at least according to my doctor).  Since it has fructose - a naturally occurring simple sugar - it tends to create a spike in blood sugar levels.  (It is however handy if you are hypoglycemic - that is have low blood sugar - to bring it back up to normal).

There are a number of things that can cause shakiness, so it would probably be best to talk with your doctor about it.   

Actually, it is NOT unusual for a diabetic seriously pursuing a diet to get low blood sugar and orange juice is a good way to quickly raise the blood sugar level.
Lee Atwater
Rookie

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2009, 11:55:11 PM »

Is this caused by being overweight/obese?

If so, making drastic lifestyle changes can make big improvements to one's health. Many people who have lost weight have had their diabetes and other illnesses cured. I suggest you start on a 2000 calorie a day diet and do cardio in the gym 5 days a week. The pounds will melt off if you stay disciplined and put in the hard work to succeed and in no time you will be a seemingly new person.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2009, 12:13:58 AM »

If you want orange juice really bad, eat an orange.  The flesh of the fruit will fill you up more and besides... we all know the juice from an orange is way better than the crap you buy at the grocery store.

Anyway, I know it's possible to lose the weight.  There was a guy who got rid of his car and started biking everywhere... at 450 lbs.  In Minneapolis (so I don't wanna hear you complain about the "cold").

In a year he was at 280 lbs, a good portion of which was muscle buildup.  Most of his health problems went away.

If you honestly honestly can't lose the weight and you are looking at very bad health concerns, you could consider gastric bypass.

I don't recommend that lightly as it will ruin your ability to recover quickly from illness, you won't be able to digest anything fibrous... there are soooo many complications with the surgery that your doctor will never tell you.  You will basically be confined to a life of soft stools and vitamin taking.

But if you're looking at early death due to high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart disease, not being able to eat raw celery might be worth it.

I know a lady who was extremely unhealthy and after losing about 70 lbs from gastric bypass went from 4 insulin shots per day to 1, her blood pressure went back to normal, and her cholesterol levels went through the floor.  She's a different person.. more energetic and enjoying things she hasn't been able to do since she was a teen.

Another severely obese woman who was 480lbs lost about 250 lbs from gastric bypass and sat in a booth at a restaurant for the first time in 20 years and she kept the weight off and her weight related health problems have gone away.

Face it, Bushok, you'll never look like the tight pants wearing super skinny cuz I don't eat nuffin guy.  So set realistic goals.  And get help from your doctor if you can't do it on your own.  There are options for even the most stubborn of people.

Oh.. and to Atwater:  I don't know that diabetes can be cured.. once you ahve it, you have it.  But its symptoms can be so reduced that it's almost as if you don't have it.  But the second you start eating like you were before again, you can bet the symptoms of diabetes will rear its ugly head even if you aren't fat anymore.

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2009, 09:42:22 AM »

Earlier in 2009, I was doing really well losing weight, I had gone from 261 to 240, a drop of 21 pounds, and I thought I was on my way.  I was still eating fast food, but I was leaving off the fries and the cheese and I was limiting my coke intake.  Now, I've gone back to my old ways and I was back to 257 the other day.  Today, I'm "down" to 256, which is only a drop of a pound, but it makes me feel a little better.  I think if I can just get back to what I was doing this past Spring when pounds were just melting, I would feel much better.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2009, 11:04:14 AM »

Earlier in 2009, I was doing really well losing weight, I had gone from 261 to 240, a drop of 21 pounds, and I thought I was on my way.  I was still eating fast food, but I was leaving off the fries and the cheese and I was limiting my coke intake.  Now, I've gone back to my old ways and I was back to 257 the other day.  Today, I'm "down" to 256, which is only a drop of a pound, but it makes me feel a little better.  I think if I can just get back to what I was doing this past Spring when pounds were just melting, I would feel much better.

Once again, don't bet on it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies