Expected Utilities of Lotteries (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:21:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Expected Utilities of Lotteries (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Choose what best describes your preferences
Gamble A and Gamble C

Gamble A and Gamble D

Gamble B and Gamble C

Gamble B and Gamble D

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Expected Utilities of Lotteries  (Read 8321 times)
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: December 20, 2009, 01:21:18 PM »
« edited: December 20, 2009, 01:30:44 PM by Torie »

It is all about the marginal utility of money. Most people would ascribe a much higher marginal utility to the first one million, then to subsequent millions, but the odds here are so extreme, and the expected cost of risk reduction so high, ie the expected return from taking more risk so high, that even given our marginal utility curve, most would still prefer to take more risk for more money here.

The posited paradox (which is not really a paradox, just that the marginal utility of money is not linear), is about folks willing to take more risk if the chances of landing a substantial amount of money are small anyway, as opposed to being in the bag, so in that sense if you lose, the odds are with the second bet that you would have ended up with nothing anyway whichever bet you picked, while in the first the odds of getting a substantial amount of money taking the safer bet were 100%.  Most of us would fall for the paradox if the numbers were considerably less extreme, because if the sum of money is large enough, it would take a very high rate of return indeed for us being willing to risk losing it all. That is why we buy insurance, which has a negative expected rate of return (administrative costs have to be paid for), but we still consider it worth it.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 06:38:38 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2009, 06:40:41 PM by Torie »

What do you call the thingy then, when it is far more painful to your when you net worth drops from 1 million to zero, than from 2 million to 1 million, if not something that involves the word "utility."  The balance of your post I did not understand very well, and I think my insurance analogy is apt. One pays something to avoid a catastrophic loss, and giving up a bunch of money if one gets lucky to secure avoiding a  catastrophic loss, is what drives the need for insurance.

Sometimes, intuitive common sense cuts to the chase better than complex formulas, in my experience. I am reasonably confident I have this one right, but perhaps not.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 07:04:43 PM »

I will ponder that comment. I still think I am right and you are wrong, but I need to put my lawyer hat on to try to tackle it all, and well, I don't "work" on Sundays. And if you are right, I will have learned something, so it is a win win for me either way, since this is an issue that really interests me, the risk and reward thing. It is what drives my important choices in life. Thanks Ag.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 08:58:27 PM »

I understand the expected return thing, but my point is that risking a sure thing, is different than risking something that is a long shot anyway. That is entirely sensible. That indeed is the way most of us run our lives really, who are rational when it comes to money matters.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies