Armey: Pawlenty on 'safest ground'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:25:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Armey: Pawlenty on 'safest ground'
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Armey: Pawlenty on 'safest ground'  (Read 2098 times)
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 14, 2009, 12:53:14 PM »

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1209/30567.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 05:17:15 PM »

The good, the bad, and the ugly:

The good:
Thus far, Pawlenty doesn't seem to be carrying much baggage - which is generally considered a plus for a candidate.  (or does it?  Our last three presidents came with considerable baggage).

The bad:
Trying to equate Palin and Clinton somehow.  The criticism that Clinton got an unfair boost due to who she was married to has some merit - but it is not uncommon for people to marry someone who is an intellectual equal in many ways.   He overstates Palin's case a bit - a one-term governor who quit in the middle of their first term  (not to take on higher office, but just, because...).

The ugly:
Confusing nuance and addressing the US as intelligent adults with being wishy-washy and obtuse.  Perhaps for the teabaggers being a simple minded zealot is considered a blessing, but in the real world it only leads to trouble.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 09:01:17 PM »

Armey gets paid to garner publicity for his clients. Not much more to read into this.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 09:03:43 PM »

Why, I'll be happy to vote against Pawlenty if he gets the nomination. I'll consider it my civic duty to the nation.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 09:06:59 PM »

I was reading an article somewhere about the Vikings and how they're likely to have problems getting state funding for a new stadium because of the money spent on the UMinn field and Target Field...and it mentioned Minnesota is running one of the largest budget deficits in the country ($2b?)  True?

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 10:00:16 PM »

I was reading an article somewhere about the Vikings and how they're likely to have problems getting state funding for a new stadium because of the money spent on the UMinn field and Target Field...and it mentioned Minnesota is running one of the largest budget deficits in the country ($2b?)  True?

Yes.

Why, I'll be happy to vote against Pawlenty if he gets the nomination. I'll consider it my civic duty to the nation.

I already voted against him. Twice. Smiley
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 10:07:58 PM »

Only a 2 billion deficit? We're jealous over here.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 10:49:22 AM »

Only a 2 billion deficit? We're jealous over here.

Bah, what you've got is nothing.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 11:08:07 AM »

Because he hasn't run yet.  Just wait for the campaign to really start and the ground will start to crumble beneath him.  Especially if everyone thinks he's the safest.  Romney, Palin, and Huckabee are iffy because they've been through the Presidential campaign ringer already.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 11:01:50 PM »

It's easy to be on safe ground when you're so damn boring.  Sam's Club Republicanism?  No thanks. 
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 11:03:38 PM »

He could not win his homestate in an even election, and he is the very definition of dull. Why would the GOP nominate him? Tommy Thompson would probably have a better chance of flipping MN.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 11:57:18 AM »

Pawlenty does not have my vote by default.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 11:58:21 PM »

Armey is right. Pawlenty is the safest candidate for the GOP in 2012, possibly with the expection of Romney. Not that it matters, since Obama will win in a landslide regardless of who his opponent is.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 09:29:19 AM »

What does Armey mean by "safe", anyway? Is it that he is least likely to make some stupefying gaffe? That he is ideologically compatible with Armey? That he is least likely to give up on politics before 2012 or even go into political hibernation? That he is most likely to quit politics and no longer challenge some up-and-coming GOP candidate in 2016? That he is less venal than the alternatives and has no hidden scandal that Armey knows about?

Sometimes the simplest of words and their obvious derivatives (like free and freedom) have great ambiguity hidden within them.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 02:07:55 PM »

What does Armey mean by "safe", anyway? Is it that he is least likely to make some stupefying gaffe? That he is ideologically compatible with Armey? That he is least likely to give up on politics before 2012 or even go into political hibernation? That he is most likely to quit politics and no longer challenge some up-and-coming GOP candidate in 2016? That he is less venal than the alternatives and has no hidden scandal that Armey knows about?

Sometimes the simplest of words and their obvious derivatives (like free and freedom) have great ambiguity hidden within them.

I think Armey is trying to say that Pawlenty has the best shot at beating Obama.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies