Death of the Religious Right?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:41:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Death of the Religious Right?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Death of the Religious Right?  (Read 8820 times)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 11:07:11 PM »

Thankfully, the Religious Right will never go away.  It may seem like they are losing right now, but ultimately their cause will win the war.

Thankfully, the growing number of non-religious Americans are going to finally save this country from the clutches of theocracy.

The clutches of theocracy?  America has never been anything close to a theocracy.

I shouldn't have worded my post that way, it came off as meaning something else. Right now there is a very large portion of the electorate that supports theocracy, or at least their meaning of it.

Taking the law straight from the Bible, or having Biblical values dictate the law, is the very backbone of the religious right. Once decisions start being made with 'god's word' being counseled, we are in a form of theocracy.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 11:09:54 PM »

Thankfully, the Religious Right will never go away.  It may seem like they are losing right now, but ultimately their cause will win the war.
You consider yourself to be part of the 'Religious Right'?

No, but I used to be one and I still have a great many friends on that side and I agree with most of their theology, I just don't like the way they try to shove it down people's throats.  The ideology will never die, but the way they go about it is wrong and unbiblical.  A prime example of someone who I am great friends with and agree with her theology, but disagree of how she's trying to get it across is Rep. Sally Kern.  I know her really well and her eldest son used to be my music minister back in the middle 1990s.  I went with her church to church camp during the summer of 1996.  Her husband is the pastor of that church.  I am really good friends with her and we agree on a lot of points, but not on delivery of those points.

You agree with Sally Kern?
Yuck mate.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2009, 11:12:38 PM »

No, but I used to be one and I still have a great many friends on that side and I agree with most of their theology, I just don't like the way they try to shove it down people's throats.  The ideology will never die, but the way they go about it is wrong and unbiblical.  A prime example of someone who I am great friends with and agree with her theology, but disagree of how she's trying to get it across is Rep. Sally Kern.  I know her really well and her eldest son used to be my music minister back in the middle 1990s.  I went with her church to church camp during the summer of 1996.  Her husband is the pastor of that church.  I am really good friends with her and we agree on a lot of points, but not on delivery of those points.

Yuck mate.

On some things, certainly not all things.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2009, 12:54:14 AM »

Yuck mate.

On some things, certainly not all things.

Well thank god..............
I have no problems that you actually know her (on the contrary I think it's hilarious), just kind of freaked out about you agreeing with her.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2009, 12:56:59 AM »

Thankfully, the growing number of non-religious Americans are going to finally save this country from the clutches of theocracy.

The clutches of theocracy?  America has never been anything close to a theocracy.

I shouldn't have worded my post that way, it came off as meaning something else. Right now there is a very large portion of the electorate that supports theocracy, or at least their meaning of it.

Taking the law straight from the Bible, or having Biblical values dictate the law, is the very backbone of the religious right. Once decisions start being made with 'god's word' being counseled, we are in a form of theocracy.

Basing laws off of moral/religious standards and values is not theocracy.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2009, 09:55:53 AM »
« Edited: December 16, 2009, 10:01:07 AM by ShadowOfTheWave »

Thankfully, the Religious Right will never go away.  It may seem like they are losing right now, but ultimately their cause will win the war.

The clutches of theocracy?  America has never been anything close to a theocracy.

Basing laws off of moral/religious standards and values is not theocracy.

Yes, yes it is. If the laws and standards are taken from the Bible, which is 'god's word', we are essentially being run by the Christian god.
Darth Kieduss the Wise
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2009, 10:05:48 AM »

We are losing our religious rights. I started to pray at my school and I got sent to the office.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2009, 10:11:02 AM »

We are losing our religious rights. I started to pray at my school and I got sent to the office.

You are obviously being sarcastic, considering that it is your civil liberty to pray in school. Do not attempt to spew the ridiculous lies the churches have spread about the ACLU.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2009, 10:28:39 AM »

Man, I know how you must feel. I don't have the right to marry because my religious beliefs seem to conflict with those of the majority.  Sadface!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2009, 06:16:33 PM »

You are obviously being sarcastic, considering that it is your civil liberty to pray in school. Do not attempt to spew the ridiculous lies the churches have spread about the ACLU.

And, don't believe the ridiculous lies the ACLU have spread about us religious types.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2009, 06:21:52 PM »

And, don't believe the ridiculous lies the ACLU have spread about us religious types.

The ACLU actually fights for freedom, in stark contrast to most churches.
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2009, 11:19:32 AM »

I don't know if he is being sarcastic, but I tried the same thing at my school with a group of students, just to test it. More or less it was broken up and we were told not to try it again within the school.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2009, 12:26:44 PM »

And I will give up my American citizenship if that ever happens. Thankfully it won't, so I have nothing to worry about.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2009, 12:44:29 PM »

And I will give up my American citizenship if that ever happens. Thankfully it won't, so I have nothing to worry about.

Did you give it up in 2000 or again in 2004 (I doubt you were old enough to do it in  1994)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2009, 01:21:54 PM »

To subject the people of the United States to the rules of an invisible God?
Not if I have anything to say about it.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2009, 01:24:53 PM »

The issue may not be the death of the Religious Right so much as its impending irrelevance as it shrinks.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2009, 02:12:35 PM »

ACLU reads the Constitution, Churches read bibles.

ACLU > Churches
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2009, 02:16:39 PM »

Are we talking about the nut-wing of the religious right or the religious right? They are two different groups. I'm part of the religious right, but not the nut-wing of it.

Also, ACLU is a joke. They are bias, and never fight for Christians rights, which are being taken away faster then you can blink.

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2009, 02:37:58 PM »

Are we talking about the nut-wing of the religious right or the religious right? They are two different groups. I'm part of the religious right, but not the nut-wing of it.

Also, ACLU is a joke. They are bias, and never fight for Christians rights, which are being taken away faster then you can blink.

The ACLU certainly does have a pro-secular bent in the cases they take, but it's hardly true that they've never taken any; terrible '90s HTML layout aside, this demonstrates that they have.

What rights are Christians losing en masse, anyway?  That is, that aren't applied to any other (non-)faith group.  "Faster than you can blink" is a strong claim.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2009, 02:44:54 PM »

Wait are you trying to say Bill O'Reilly might be cherrypicking his battles with the ACLU?
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2009, 02:59:59 PM »

The ACLU has done some good things, like their PATRIOT Act case. They deserve to be recognized for that.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2009, 03:19:12 PM »

The ACLU has done some good things, like their PATRIOT Act case. They deserve to be recognized for that.

The ACLU's hatred of the Patriot Act is, in my view, one of the few good things about them.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2009, 06:34:01 PM »

ACLU > Churches

The Bible is greater than the Constitution.  The Bible tells us to obey our Government as long as it doesn't interfere with the Word of God, therefore the Constitution is great, the Bible is greater.  Even the ACLU picks and chooses and interprets the constitution to suit them and their agenda.

I will always read my Bible before the Constitution and will teach my kids such.

Oh, and Duke is right that our rights are being taken away at lightning speed.  The biggest thing is the ACLU is trying to make it a hate crime to preach against homosexuality, even behind the pulpit.  They want nothing better than to stamp out every Christian and every Christian ideal.  They favor Parent Parenthood which hates babies.  They hate everything the Bible says.  They also succeeded in taking prayer out of schools.  You can even be arrested for praying on the steps of the US Capitol.  They detest us trying to live out and share our Christian faith with others.  If they can't stomp us out entirely, they will try everything they can to shut us up so we can't even say "Jesus Saves" or "God Loves You" in public.  They also try to take the Christ out of Christmas.  They replace Christ with X, which is abhorrent.  They shun businesses from wishing their customers Merry Christmas.  The term Happy Holidays could mean Easter or Fourth of July as easily as anything in the winter.  The ACLU is an evil, evil organization, and they will one day get their just reward.

The ACLU is not the American Civil Liberties Union, rather it is the Anti-Christian Litigation Unit.

One day, and this is a guaranteed fact, not the beliefs of Christians, that Jesus Christ will come again and will set up his Kingdom and will eradicate all evil and all ungodliness from this world and will destroy this earth and set up a new heaven and a new earth.  You can take that to the bank.

We Christians will NOT back down from our beliefs no matter what the evil ACLU tries to do.  We will even go to prison or to the death chamber if we have to for the cause of our Lord Jesus Christ.  I hope it doesn't come to that, but I'm afraid it will.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2009, 06:41:27 PM »

ACLU > Churches

The Bible is greater than the Constitution.  The Bible tells us to obey our Government as long as it doesn't interfere with the Word of God, therefore the Constitution is great, the Bible is greater.  Even the ACLU picks and chooses and interprets the constitution to suit them and their agenda.

I will always read my Bible before the Constitution and will teach my kids such.

Oh, and Duke is right that our rights are being taken away at lightning speed.  The biggest thing is the ACLU is trying to make it a hate crime to preach against homosexuality, even behind the pulpit.  They want nothing better than to stamp out every Christian and every Christian ideal.  They favor Parent Parenthood which hates babies.  They hate everything the Bible says.  They also succeeded in taking prayer out of schools.  You can even be arrested for praying on the steps of the US Capitol.  They detest us trying to live out and share our Christian faith with others.  If they can't stomp us out entirely, they will try everything they can to shut us up so we can't even say "Jesus Saves" or "God Loves You" in public.  They also try to take the Christ out of Christmas.  They replace Christ with X, which is abhorrent.  They shun businesses from wishing their customers Merry Christmas.  The term Happy Holidays could mean Easter or Fourth of July as easily as anything in the winter.  The ACLU is an evil, evil organization, and they will one day get their just reward.

The ACLU is not the American Civil Liberties Union, rather it is the Anti-Christian Litigation Unit.

One day, and this is a guaranteed fact, not the beliefs of Christians, that Jesus Christ will come again and will set up his Kingdom and will eradicate all evil and all ungodliness from this world and will destroy this earth and set up a new heaven and a new earth.  You can take that to the bank.

We Christians will NOT back down from our beliefs no matter what the evil ACLU tries to do.  We will even go to prison or to the death chamber if we have to for the cause of our Lord Jesus Christ.  I hope it doesn't come to that, but I'm afraid it will.

I don't mean to offend anybody, I'm just trying to explain my beliefs.

I'm just sick and tired of the secular world trying to reduce and eradicate the Christian faith.

Mind you, I'm not really a part of the religious right, but I'm just as fervent in my beliefs as they are, even if my political views are somewhat more liberal.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2009, 06:41:51 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Matter of opinion. You have no right for force your views on me.

everything they can to shut us up so we can't even say "Jesus Saves" or "God Loves You" in public.  They also try to take the Christ out of Christmas.  They replace Christ with X, which is abhorrent.  They shun businesses from wishing their customers Merry Christmas.  The term Happy Holidays could mean Easter or Fourth of July as easily as anything in the winter.  The ACLU is an evil, evil organization, and they will one day get their just reward.

Your business, but I feel sorry for your kids.

You're absolutely insane. There's nothing I can say to that comment. Do you really believe that? Do most people in Oklahoma believe that?

Incorrect. It is definitely Christian belief. Please don't confuse this with fact, they're very far away from each other.

Cut the drama damn it. You are not being persecuted. It's the other way around in America, but christians seem to be much to arrogant to see that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies