Ted Strickland is going to lose, right?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:07:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Ted Strickland is going to lose, right?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ted Strickland is going to lose, right?  (Read 3713 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 15, 2009, 01:00:00 AM »

makes me happy, though I admit to knowing nothing about his actual term thus far.  I still do have the Obama bug, at least in memory.  I had it VERY big in Jan-Feb of '08 last year.  Hillary-from-behind in NH put me in a dreadful mood.  I remember I missed the first four periods of class on Feb 06 2008 because I was up until 2-3am watching.  by the next Tuesday it was clear to those who were not mathematically ignorant that Obama was the odds-on favorite beyond reasonable doubt.

the Hillary campaign bugged me.  the Obama campaign did, faintly, too, but I was part of the target demographic so I was vulnerable.  in retrospect, it is anger-inspiring, the hoax Obama and his trust played on the people that bled for him.

the icons of the Hillary campaign bugged me, so I'll be glad to see Strickland tossed into the trash-bin of political follower history as part of the first ever Default Wave coming in '10, where the resurgent party is not actually liked but the governing party has been thoroughly rejected, so electorate defaults back to (R).  we may find out in the next few decades if the duopoly is so structurally sound that it can withstand/control fundamental disagreements with the general public.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 02:31:17 AM »

No, it's not over yet.  The GE campaign has not even started.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 04:47:39 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2010, 09:42:10 AM by Dave Leip »

I think to the thread question, we actually have to see, you know, Kasich emerge as a candidate and not suck first.  We know incumbents are unpopular, will Kasich run a good campaign?  I used to think he was a sacrificial lamb but looking back I sure do look ignorant*.

*My agent advises me to say that while this may be true for most things I post, it is all completely coincidental
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 04:49:59 AM »
« Edited: December 15, 2009, 04:55:46 AM by Lunar »

I had it VERY big in Jan-Feb of '08 last year.  Hillary-from-behind in NH put me in a dreadful mood.  I remember I missed the first four periods

your post is funnier like this

edit: MUCH funnier
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 04:58:18 AM »

makes me happy,  I still do have the Obama bug, at least in memory.  I had it VERY big in Jan-Feb of '08 last year. put me in a dreadful mood.  I remember I missed the first four periods of

bugged me. faintly, too, but I was  vulnerable.  in retrospect, it is anger-inspiring, the hoax

that bled

bugged me, so I'll be glad to see Wave

OK I'LL STOP please continue
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 11:43:52 AM »
« Edited: December 15, 2009, 12:33:43 PM by WEB Dubois »

It depends on what happens in that Kilroy race which is in Columbus and comes from a swing district.  Driehaus is very much done and will not return.  If Kilroy can make more gains than she did in 2008 than perhaps that will carry over to helping out Strickland. If she doesn't and she is defeated along with Zack Space Kasich will carry the day.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 12:16:23 PM »

Tweed got drunk last night.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 12:57:20 AM »

He did.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 01:28:42 AM »

I again feel a need to step in here, lest my silence proliferate a falsehood.  I did not use alcohol last night.
Stranger Than Fiction
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 02:15:53 AM »

It depends on what happens in that Kilroy race which is in Columbus and comes from a swing district.  Driehaus is very much done and will not return.  If Kilroy can make more gains than she did in 2008 than perhaps that will carry over to helping out Strickland. If she doesn't and she is defeated along with Zack Space Kasich will carry the day.
Driehaus is toast?  Really!?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 04:25:59 AM »

I again feel a need to step in here, lest my silence proliferate a falsehood.  I did not use alcohol last night.

Then what'd you use?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 06:29:22 PM »

Am I the only one who finds my PMS jokes hilarious here?!
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 12:25:32 AM »

I had it VERY big in Jan-Feb of '08 last year.  Hillary-from-behind in NH put me in a dreadful mood.  I remember I missed the first four periods

^^^^^^^^Hilarious, but we digress.

Strickland is far from being automatically thrown out.  At this point I'd give him a 55% chance of getting re-elected.  I think the anti-incumbent mood is strong enough for a decent challenger to topple Strickland but Kasich has yet to really define himself to the broader public.  He's still mostly working the GOP crowd as far as I can tell.  Anytime I see a quote from him it follows the same formula: an attack on Strickland followed by a noncommittal, wishy-washy answer about what he would do in the same situation. 

Here's his "what I stand for" webpage:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

1. Generic and non-specific GOP talking point.

2. Another generic GOP plank.  Nevermind the fact that Strickland has already done a pretty good job of streamlining government and reducing spending.  I think the part about regulation may be a glancing reference to our outdated construction contracting laws.

3. Requisite promise to reform education needed to win any governor's race in Ohio.

4. Empty political promise which ironically puts more blame on Republicans as prior to 2006 they had been in sole control of state government for over a decade and they still control the Ohio Senate.
Rococo4

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 01:44:07 AM »

id probably say the turnout will be driven the other way around.  a congressional campaign around columbus isnt going to determine wo wins governor.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 11:15:32 AM »

Well being tied to an unpopular governor isn't good for your base to come out and vote for you and being from swing areas is going swing statewide races no matter what office one should hold.

Strickland has done a poor job in getting jobs rebounded in OH and I think his chances are virtually tied to the economy.  That's why Steve Chabbot should win.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 08:34:53 PM »

Strickland is far from being automatically thrown out.  At this point I'd give him a 55% chance of getting re-elected.  I think the anti-incumbent mood is strong enough for a decent challenger to topple Strickland but Kasich has yet to really define himself to the broader public.  He's still mostly working the GOP crowd as far as I can tell.  Anytime I see a quote from him it follows the same formula: an attack on Strickland followed by a noncommittal, wishy-washy answer about what he would do in the same situation. 

2. Another generic GOP plank.  Nevermind the fact that Strickland has already done a pretty good job of streamlining government and reducing spending.  I think the part about regulation may be a glancing reference to our outdated construction contracting laws.

3. Requisite promise to reform education needed to win any governor's race in Ohio.

4. Empty political promise which ironically puts more blame on Republicans as prior to 2006 they had been in sole control of state government for over a decade and they still control the Ohio Senate.

#1 is actually far worse than that. He supports abolishing the state income tax--the source of over half the government revenue--and replacing it with---nothing.

Irresponsibility at it's worse. No wonder he was such a proponent of Reaganomics back in the day. Never learned to add and subtract since then I see.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 02:46:06 AM »

I had it VERY big in Jan-Feb of '08 last year.  Hillary-from-behind in NH put me in a dreadful mood.  I remember I missed the first four periods

#1 is actually far worse than that. He supports abolishing the state income tax--the source of over half the government revenue--and replacing it with---nothing.

Irresponsibility at it's worse. No wonder he was such a proponent of Reaganomics back in the day. Never learned to add and subtract since then I see.

He seriously wants to just abolish the income tax? No cutting spending or any such thing? I must say, that's pretty chilling.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 02:53:55 AM »

The race will be close.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 10:29:49 AM »

I had it VERY big in Jan-Feb of '08 last year.  Hillary-from-behind in NH put me in a dreadful mood.  I remember I missed the first four periods

He seriously wants to just abolish the income tax? No cutting spending or any such thing? I must say, that's pretty chilling.

Oh of course he wants to cut "wasteful spending", PiT. That's the standard BS line of every economic conservative. Along with "the added revenue from economic growth will make up for it soon", of course. Even there most economic conservatives at least leave some tax base left to "grow out of debt".

Kasich pushed these exact policies of Reagan's while in the Congress which resulted in vastly expanded deficits and doubling the national debt in 4 years. Ohio has a balanced budget amendment and doesn't have the luxury of playing games with Laffer Curve economic theories.

His proposal, on it's face, would never EVER add up. Kasich is either a bald face liar or a idiot who can't do basic math. Either way he's grossly unqualified to be governor, particularly compared to an actual responsible grownup like Strickland.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 12:35:19 AM »

Oh of course he wants to cut "wasteful spending", PiT. That's the standard BS line of every economic conservative. Along with "the added revenue from economic growth will make up for it soon", of course. Even there most economic conservatives at least leave some tax base left to "grow out of debt".

Kasich pushed these exact policies of Reagan's while in the Congress which resulted in vastly expanded deficits and doubling the national debt in 4 years. Ohio has a balanced budget amendment and doesn't have the luxury of playing games with Laffer Curve economic theories.

His proposal, on it's face, would never EVER add up. Kasich is either a bald face liar or a idiot who can't do basic math. Either way he's grossly unqualified to be governor, particularly compared to an actual responsible grownup like Strickland.

Speaking in platitudes is a favored way to run for office without actually having to have a plan to do so. Now if he said exactly where he's going to cut wasteful spending that would be one thing, but just pushing Reaganomics makes him look good with the Republican base & doesn't require thinking. I notice that Republicans never suggest cutting spending for the military, which is a genuine example of wasteful spending.
Stranger Than Fiction
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 03:38:41 AM »

Very well said.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2009, 02:13:57 AM »

Very well said.

Cut military spending!  How dare you suggest putting our troops in danger!  Terrorist lover! [/sarcasm]
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2009, 01:35:05 PM »

Very well said.

Cut military spending!  How dare you suggest putting our troops in danger!  Terrorist lover! [/sarcasm]

It depends on what you want to cut. If its waste in no bid contracts, and spending too much for too little, I am all for that. But I refuse to go along with Barney Frank's proposal to gut the military of 25% of its funding at a time when we are at war.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies