Kerry switches his opinion on Cuba.....again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:49:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Kerry switches his opinion on Cuba.....again
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kerry switches his opinion on Cuba.....again  (Read 2898 times)
ncjake
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 08, 2004, 12:45:36 PM »

Typical. Kerry said in a speech today he wants closer ties with Cuba, including removing the embargo. He originally switched to keeping sanctions. Now he's switched back. I dont have a site for that, I heard it on Fox News. If he keeps this mess up no Cuban will vote for him and he will lose Florida.

Heres a link regarding the original switch:
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/6666091.htm
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 12:53:34 PM »

Kerry is a war hero who has ZERO political courage.

"Woe to you when all men speak well of you, for their fathers used to treat the false prophets in the same way."  (Luke 6:26)

In other words:  Trying to please everyone is a sure sign you're full of crap.
elcorazon

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 01:14:53 PM »

Anyone who has any nuances in his positions is a waffler (if he's a democrat) according to the republicans.  Frankly, I don't see it.  While obviously a president has to make hard decisions, I prefer a president who is willing to analyze a situation as it occurs and changes over time to one who takes a position and sticks with it, whether the facts support it or not (Iraq, anyone?).

Of course, all political candidates make statements which are designed to help them get elected (Dubya included), this flip/flopping claim doesn't fly to me, at least with respect to this particular issue.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 01:16:00 PM »

Anyone who has any nuances in his positions is a waffler (if he's a democrat) according to the republicans.  Frankly, I don't see it.  While obviously a president has to make hard decisions, I prefer a president who is willing to analyze a situation as it occurs and changes over time to one who takes a position and sticks with it, whether the facts support it or not (Iraq, anyone?).

Of course, all political candidates make statements which are designed to help them get elected (Dubya included), this flip/flopping claim doesn't fly to me, at least with respect to this particular issue.

Good point. And pretty much all politicians lack principles, hazard of the trade.
California Dreamer

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004, 01:21:03 PM »

Bush sees the world in black and white, you are for us or against us, etc etc

Nuance, subltely, grey areas just go over his head.
ncjake
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2004, 01:26:35 PM »

Bush sees the world in black and white, you are for us or against us, etc etc

Nuance, subltely, grey areas just go over his head.

There are no grey areas, there are asolutes. Everything is black and white, right and wrong. Kerry doesnt change his opinions over long periods of time. They change every month
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2004, 01:47:34 PM »

There are no grey areas, there are asolutes. Everything is black and white, right and wrong. Kerry doesnt change his opinions over long periods of time. They change every month

Well, even I wouldn't go as far as to say, "Everything is black and white, right and wrong."  But, the point is that Kerry as no political backbone and repeatedly contradicts himself depending on the direction of the political winds.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2004, 02:04:29 PM »

Well, even I wouldn't go as far as to say, "Everything is black and white, right and wrong."  But, the point is that Kerry as no political backbone and repeatedly contradicts himself depending on the direction of the political winds.

Jmf, acting as a voice of moderation? Shocked Shocked Wink
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2004, 03:50:30 PM »

I have always been a voice of moderation, advocating the freedom of a clear conscience in any and every area that doesn’t run contrary to the council of God.

1Cor 6:12; 10:23
"Everything is permissible for me–but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible for me–but I will not be mastered by anything…Everything is permissible–but not everything is constructive.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2004, 03:53:48 PM »

I'm sure Cuba will be a big issue in this election.
ncjake
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2004, 03:56:31 PM »

I think that was sarcastic so I'll take it as such. There are two key states, Ohio and Florida. Cuba will definately be one of the big issues there because if Kerry doesnt swing some of Cubans to his side he wont win
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2004, 03:57:20 PM »

Knowing Miami, I think he was probably serious, but I too think we'll hear about Cuba more and more as the campaign in Florida heats up.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2004, 03:58:00 PM »

That was sarcasm
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2004, 04:54:28 PM »

I have always been a voice of moderation, advocating the freedom of a clear conscience in any and every area that doesn’t run contrary to the council of God.

1Cor 6:12; 10:23
"Everything is permissible for me–but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible for me–but I will not be mastered by anything…Everything is permissible–but not everything is constructive.

Lol...I was mostly kidding, with a half-serious undertone... Wink
Kghadial
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2004, 06:32:37 PM »

I think that was sarcastic so I'll take it as such. There are two key states, Ohio and Florida. Cuba will definately be one of the big issues there because if Kerry doesnt swing some of Cubans to his side he wont win

Very true, Clinton got over a third of the Cuban vote in '96 , and Dole would have probably won if it wasn't for Perot and the libertarian candidate (well it would have probably been 52-48 for Clinton, but it would have been in play)

I think Kerry might be giving up Florida with this Cuban thing, he needs a hardline with Castro to win Florida, but that hardline would hurt him in Iowa and possibly Ohio; they want to send their wheat and corn to to Cuba.
MarkDel

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2004, 08:04:05 PM »

If you guys don't think Cuba is and was a factor in Presidential politics in the state of Florida...then you understand NOTHING about the Cuban people and their deep commitment to their homeland, and their deep hatred of the Castro regime and all those who make EXCUSES for Castro...like Kerry.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2004, 08:47:37 PM »

I'm sure Kerry will find a way to be on all sides of the issue as he does with every issue.  Soft on Castro in northeast Florida and a real hardass anti-Castro policy in Miami.  Might also depend on what day of the week it is.
Kghadial
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2004, 09:59:01 PM »

I've always wondered why its considered that a hard line is the best way to deal with Castro. Could one of you enlighten me?

For instance China. Once just as communist as Cuba. Now through normalization of relations and trade, China has seen the capitalist light. Conditions are improving in China, and personal freedom is getting harder and harder to limit.

While in Cuba, the people have had little if any way to obtain life - saving American foodstuffs and medicine. And Castro is just as much of a crazy psychopath and still ruling with an iron fist.

It seems to me that through our embargo, all we do is hurt the Cuban people and help Castro rule ruthlessly.

But like I said, could one you shed some light on this for me?
MarkDel

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2004, 12:46:17 AM »

Kghadial,

Personally, I was opposed to trading with China as well, but that's another issue. The embargo of Cuba does not work because our alleged European allies have not embraced the embargo, much like the embargo of Iraq which was a disaster because it was too easy for Saddam to work around it. If we lifted the embargo, the Cuban people would see little or no benefit. They have had European dollars flowing into Cuba for many, many years and it has done nothing to soften Castro's approach.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies