Have you ever used a typewriter? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:26:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Have you ever used a typewriter? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Have you ever used a typewriter?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Have you ever used a typewriter?  (Read 1927 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: December 16, 2009, 02:21:36 PM »

I typed a 20+ page paper on the history of third parties in the US on a typewriter.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 12:06:13 AM »

As I said, I never suffered the gross misfortune of having to use one. But I don't see how white-out would help if you omitted a word or two. I guess you could white out the entire line and hope there is enough space in the margin—or white out the entire paragraph, and hope (in most cases, with more confidence) that there is enough space in the sum of the remaining margins.

In the above paragraph, the "in most cases, " and "remaining" bits were added at the end. I doubt it would be pleasant to make that change on a typewriter.
Generally you didn't start typing until the paper was done done.  Like others said, you had white out or a second white ribbon to type over the typo or whatever...but for the most part you were just really, really careful when typing.  It was a serious pain in the ass, but it was all we knew.  Word processors were out by this time, but they were expensive for a High School kid (as were early PCs).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies