Nomination Thread: Peter for HAEV [confirmed]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:43:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Nomination Thread: Peter for HAEV [confirmed]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Nomination Thread: Peter for HAEV [confirmed]  (Read 3579 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 18, 2009, 02:31:39 PM »
« edited: December 21, 2009, 05:05:57 PM by Bacon Veep »

Please question the nominee here.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 03:28:37 PM »

What is your defination of a zombie voter?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 09:23:03 PM »

If the choice was yours alone, how many of the following would you deregister?

Name of the Zombie - Person he voted for in the most recent election

Mart - Badger (JCP)
Sensei - Badger (JCP)
Smash255 - Badger (JCP)
CultureKing - Badger (JCP)
Rob - Badger (JCP)
Cosmo Kramer - Badger (JCP)
Ogre Mage - Badger (JCP)
KyleGordon2016 - Badger (JCP)

FallenMorgan - Mint (ARC)
Lahbas - Mint (ARC)
rebel_libertarian - Mint (ARC)
phknrocket1k - Mint (ARC)
ajc0918 - Mint (ARC)
Elvis Republican - Mint (ARC)
azmagic - Mint (ARC)
Earth - Mint (ARC)

liberalrepublican - Duke (RPP)
Torie - Duke (RPP)
dead0man - Duke (RPP)
A-Bob - Vepres - #2=Duke (RPP)
Ronnie - Duke (RPP)
MagneticFree - self - Vepres - #2=Duke (RPP)

BRTD - Fritz (JCP)
xavier110 - Fritz (JCP)
Boris - Fritz (JCP)
Eraserhead - Fritz (JCP)

Deldm - Afleitch (DA)
Frodo - afleitch (DA)
Gustaf - afleitch (DA)

titaniumtux - Prodigy - #2 Sewer (LNF)
jfern - Sewer (LNF)

Daniel Adams - DWTL (RPP)

Senator Conor Flynn - Jas (LNF)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 09:26:05 PM »

I ask your opinion of my personal assessment of what "zombies" are.

Unfortunately I take issue with a great deal of your list.
The facts are the facts. These people contribute nothing yet have the same vote as you and I.

Okay I didn't really want to do this because there's the possibility something concerning zombies could come before the court because of HAEV and all that nonsense, but taking a liberal interpretation of that basically means I can't comment on anything, so let me just explain why I think alot of this list is ridiculous.

In our statute, we deal with activity requirements for voting in elections with this language:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Now, it's actually 25 now because of a bill from Hashemite that I supported, but stay with me. When it says "who have posted at least 15 times" it is referring to the Atlas forum at-large. These are the sort of activity requirements that we deal with. The same is upheld in various office-holding rules (I believe it's like 200 or something to be a Senator now?) for post counts, the posts in the at-large forum.

Here are the three criteria for how I judge (personally, not officially) a "zombie" with some exceptions.

Someone who doesn't post on the forum at-large or exclusively posts in Atlasia (or it seems like they were recruited for the sole purpose of participating in Atlasia).

Someone who is not an established member of Atlasia (meaning, someone you can point out in a crowd of Atlas members).

Someone who doesn't post intelligently, causes trouble, etc.

People like BRTD, Smash, phknrocket1k, Boris, CultureKing, Eraser, Gustaf, Torie (Seriously? Torie is a zombie to you?), Ronnie, Dead0man, etc, do not qualify in my humble opinion. They have a long history in Atlasia, the Atlas forum in general for the most part, are well established members, post often on the Atlas forum at large, and many of the people on your list are former office-holders for heaven's sake.

Not longer than earlier this year, CultureKing was my Governor! Torie was once my Senator for two terms! Obviously these are not exemptions on their own, but they are, in combination with other factors, evidence that they are not zombies. They don't not post (grammar attack) on the forum at large, they don't cause trouble or get in trouble alot, they weren't recruited to Atlas simply for the purpose of participating in this silly little game, they have a long history and have established themselves on this site.

People like azmagic, dallasfan, Elvis Republican, etc, well, they're kind of stupid honestly, to be a little harsh about it. They post on the forum at large to maintain the bare minimum, they have extremely low total post counts, almost no one knows who the hell they are, they seem like the type of person who was recruited simply to be used in Atlasia, the list goes on. Those are classic zombie qualifiers.

We could get into arguments too over more complicated shades. People who cause trouble and obsessively participate in Atlasia. But that's an argument for another day. For now, this is about the inactive type of zombie/tool. If anyone wanted my philosophy on zombies, I supposed that's as detailed as I can think to be on the topic.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 09:35:44 PM »

Are newer members with low post counts 'zombies'?

Are old member with 10k+ posts nearly all trolling [ala BRTD] zombies?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 09:41:32 PM »

On that qualifier alone, no. If they make little to no effort to post on the forum at-large, it seems like they were recruited solely for the purpose of participating in Atlasia, or they're like ECR, then perhaps.

Again, it depends. These are complicated issues that necessitate more than just one qualifier.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 09:43:07 PM »

On that qualifier alone, no. If they make little to no effort to post on the forum at-large, it seems like they were recruited solely for the purpose of participating in Atlasia, or they're like ECR, then perhaps.

Again, it depends. These are complicated issues that necessitate more than just one qualifier.

Oh, wow, I thought this thread was "Nomination Thread: Peter for HAEV."
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 09:43:21 PM »

Yeah, of course, its all going to be arbitrary and politically-motivated. That's how inquisitions work, from Torquemada to Joe McCarthy.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 09:44:25 PM »

Yeah, of course, its all going to be arbitrary and politically-motivated. That's how inquisitions work, from Torquemada to Joe McCarthy.

They're complicated issues that require a case-by-case analysis. That's the point of HAEV to begin with. You can't just pick one group and vaporize them.

Oh, wow, I thought this thread was "Nomination Thread: Peter for HAEV."

When you stalk me all over the forum I tend to think you're responding to me. My apologies.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 09:46:08 PM »

LOL, I stalk Marokai Roll Eyes

Um, wow...

Nice try. I rarely venture outside of Fantasy Politics and the Forum Community, so I don't see how I could 'stalk' you 'all over' the forum.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 09:48:29 PM »

It's maddening how you've managed to turn three threads designed to gauging nominees into a bitchfest.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 09:49:37 PM »

It's maddening how you've managed to turn three threads designed to gauging nominees into a bitchfest.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 10:11:28 PM »

Hamilton: please keep conversation on the floor of the Senate civil.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 10:25:11 PM »

HamiltonBoss Overlord Marokai: please keep conversation on the floor of the Senate civil.

I fixed it for you.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 10:38:40 PM »

HamiltonBoss Overlord Marokai: please keep conversation on the floor of the Senate civil.

I fixed it for you.

Christ, cant we ever have one ing thread where everything doesnt go to sh**t? I swear, until half a year to a year ago we never had these problems. You dont need to respond to everything in a sarcastic way every damn time. Jesus. (Not you Bgwah)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 10:57:09 PM »

I fixed it for you.

Christ, cant we ever have one ing thread where everything doesnt go to sh**t? I swear, until half a year to a year ago we never had these problems. You dont need to respond to everything in a sarcastic way every damn time. Jesus. (Not you Bgwah)

I don't need to be singled out, either. Of course, you wouldn't care.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 11:08:21 PM »

I fixed it for you.

I don't need to be singled out, either. Of course, you wouldn't care.

Blah blah blah, the world is against you blah blah blah.  I'm not going to post in this thread anymore, because I dont want to clutter this place up, so let me say one thing.

I, AndrewCT, do now force everyone in Atlasia to hear, and agree with what I say. Marokai has taken over as supreme ruler of Atlasia. All shall now bow before him. MasterJedi is a bad moderator because he does things I dont like, punish and ban him forever.  There are no such things as zombies, so everyone stop worrying about things. Lets see.. what else... oh yes, do not spam the forums!

DOWN WITH DAVE, ALL ARE NOW FORCED TO BOW TO MAROKAI!

Sorry BK, I promise I wont clutter anything else again! In closing, I do not have any questions for Peter. I believe that he is an excellent candidate, and I fully support him for this position.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 12:23:41 AM »

Please, do not give your opinion on that list, please. You would destroy your neutrality right now, which is a big problem.

I fixed it for you.

Well, it would help if the moderators would do their job!
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 10:49:03 AM »

Good afternoon Senators.

First of all I would like to thank the President for this opportunity to continue my service - I no longer have the time to commit for a legislative/executive post, but the opportunity to serve in a quasi-judicial/executive role that will not require daily attendance to the forum is an honour that I am proud to take on.

I would like to continue by re-iterating some matters I first mentioned when I approached the President about taking on this role. I feel that I have a long history in Atlasia and that I have an independent judgement that is not easily swayed by political winds. I have no particular plans to run for office in the future - this removes a clear conflict of interest as this position does give great power to affect the voter rolls.

I thank the Senate for this opportunity to show my worthiness for the role. To this end, partly because of some of the outside intrusion on the thread, I will be declining to answer questions from non-Senators. This not out of disrespect for the questioner, or a judgement on their questions, but rather because I do not want to get drawn into a silly back and forth with some posters.

I'm not hugely keen on the term, but whatever term you use, I think all can acknowledge there is a problem with at least a small minority of voters. In spite of our best attempts to legislate through the 25 post activity requirement, many voters who were recruited, especially by party bosses, simply post pad to get past the requirement and then vote. I would certainly place these voters in a "zombie" category, for want of a better word. Posters who have remained genuinely contributory in the wider forum should be protected from being struck from the voter rolls, although I acknowledge that there may be literally a couple of exceptions that it may be possible to deal with through the HAEV structure that might not be with hard fast rules like the activity requirements.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 10:52:55 AM »

As a Mideast citizen, I'd like to point out that Peter has a record in the Mideast of being fair and honest. I fully support him for HAEV.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 12:13:26 PM »

I'm taking your stance, Peter.  Senator's questions only.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2009, 04:59:33 PM »

I would like to say that if were are to have this HEAVE thing, we ought to have people on it who are capable of thinking in a logical way and acting decently. Not only are both of these points true of Peter, but he's also been around for a long enough time to have some perspective on issues like this. We've had these problems before and he was around at the time.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 02:34:53 PM »

The 72 hour time limit has now expired.

Senators, please vote aye, nay, or abstain on the confirmation of this nominee.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 03:43:15 PM »

Aye
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia