What Will The Cap-and-Trade Bill Look Like?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:54:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What Will The Cap-and-Trade Bill Look Like?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What Will The Cap-and-Trade Bill Look Like?  (Read 544 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 22, 2009, 01:47:04 AM »

How much will U.S. emissions be required to be reduced by 2050. What incentives are companies going to have for reducing emissions?
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 02:31:50 AM »

None.  They will just move our remaining jobs overseas where you don't have to worry about emissions just like wages.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 02:34:22 AM »

I'm not sure if a Cap-n-Trade bill will move through the Senate in 2010.  And if it waits until 2011, how the bill looks will depend on the elections.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 02:38:30 AM »

I'm not sure if a Cap-n-Trade bill will move through the Senate in 2010.  And if it waits until 2011, how the bill looks will depend on the elections.

Why not? Are Democrats too busy passing other legislation, or are they afraid of electoral ramifications if they pass a bill right before election time?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 02:42:20 AM »
« Edited: December 22, 2009, 02:44:05 AM by Lunar »

I'm not sure if a Cap-n-Trade bill will move through the Senate in 2010.  And if it waits until 2011, how the bill looks will depend on the elections.

Why not? Are Democrats too busy passing other legislation, or are they afraid of electoral ramifications if they pass a bill right before election time?

Well, the Democratic leadership does not want to force a painful vote in an election year if they don't have the votes necessary in the first place.  Otherwise you just cause electoral losses and a depressed base and no actual policy accomplishments.

If cap-n-trade is the starting point for energy policy in the same way that the public option was the starting point for the healthcare bill, I don't think I even want to see what sort of ridiculousness the Senate would even pass.  I find the concept of cap-n-trade with limited grandfather clauses to be reasonable, but I'm pretty sure that the grandfather clauses would be extended to perpetuity by the time the Senate is done with it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies