Is Obama finished? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:30:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Is Obama finished? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ....
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 229

Author Topic: Is Obama finished?  (Read 316077 times)
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« on: October 11, 2012, 04:07:33 PM »

I don't really know much about the guy so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but isn't Marco Rubio white?
He is Cuban American.

Yeah, I know. I'm also aware that in the US Hispanic is considered a race instead of just people from spanish speaking countries. But since there can be white Hispanics like him I wondered if he would still be considered a Non-White president if elected or the "hispanic" part is the one that takes precedence when determining your race.
Sorry, but I'm not really well versed in this area Tongue
Yes Rubio is white rather than Amerindian. But the media describes him as Hispanic, and it would be politically incorrect to describe him as anything else.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 05:23:18 PM »

I don't really know much about the guy so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but isn't Marco Rubio white?
He is Cuban American.

Yeah, I know. I'm also aware that in the US Hispanic is considered a race instead of just people from spanish speaking countries. But since there can be white Hispanics like him I wondered if he would still be considered a Non-White president if elected or the "hispanic" part is the one that takes precedence when determining your race.
Sorry, but I'm not really well versed in this area Tongue
Yes Rubio is white rather than Amerindian. But the media describes him as Hispanic, and it would be politically incorrect to describe him as anything else.

First, there were a lot of Amerindians in Cuba, so he might be. 

Second, while not a "race," Hispanics are definitely a minority group.
I thought that all Amerindians died on most islands after the spanish made a visit, so you only had black slaves and the Spanish.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies