Atlas Election 2012: Running Mates sign-up thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:35:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Atlas Election 2012: Running Mates sign-up thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlas Election 2012: Running Mates sign-up thread  (Read 13010 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« on: December 21, 2009, 06:57:08 PM »

If I can't endorse I probably can't do this, but if I can, I'll be Fred Foster.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 08:15:36 AM »

If I can't endorse I probably can't do this, but if I can, I'll be Fred Foster.

Yeah, I'm afraid I can't really allow that just yet either.  But just to reiterate, you're welcome to come back and sign up once you've made 50 posts on the forum.  And there's certainly no restrictions on following and commenting on the race. Smiley

Sad
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 12:28:02 PM »

Now that I have 50 posts, I would like to be Fred Foster.

Bio up in a bit.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 05:30:28 PM »

Fred Foster was born in an upper middle-class family in Indianapolis on July 14, 1939. He went to the local public schools, and then to Indiana-Purdue University in Indianapolis. Upon graduation in 1962, Foster led an unexciting career as the owner of several small businesses. In 1968, Foster was elected to the Indiana House of Representatives. Despite being a freshman, he immediately became the Minority Leader.

Foster was reelected to the Indiana House in 1970 and 1972.

In 1974, Foster retired to run for the Senate against incumbent Democrat Birch Bayh.
Originally considered a longshot, Foster slowly approached Bayh in the polls and narrowly defeated him on Election Day, aided by the popularity of incumbent President Victor Vanderbilt. Fairly little-known, the anti-Republican environment in 1980 led to Foster’s defeat, 52-47.

Seeking a political comeback, Fred Foster was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1982, and re-elected in 1984 and 1986. In 1988, Foster led a longshot bid for U.S. President. After receiving just 3% of the vote in the Iowa caucus, Foster dropped out, and ran for re-election. In 1988, he gained the position of Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee.

In 1994, Democrats regained the House of Representatives after a long exodus, even defeating Republican Speaker of the House Tom Tully. Foster spent the next six years (1995 – 2001) as Minority Leader. In 2000, Republicans gained back the majority, and Fred Foster became Speaker of the House. Foster, who had grown increasingly bored with his work, entertained the notion of retiring in 2002; he announced on December 21, 2001, that he would seek re-election, but instead of becoming Speaker, he would become Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, something which “provides me job satisfaction.” This all proved to be immaterial, as Democrats regained the House in 2002.

Republicans gained the House back in 2006, and Foster became Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, a position he holds to this day. Foster has enthusiastically endorsed Helen Hudson, and is considered a possibility for the vice-presidential nomination.

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 07:41:20 AM »

This is a game between two fictional characters for President. We can assume that, somewhere, something changed, so the election is Hudson v. Xiao, not Romney v. Obama.

I simply filled in the blanks. Cheesy
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies