Bush Sr. vs. Obama 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:23:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bush Sr. vs. Obama 2012
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bush Sr. vs. Obama 2012  (Read 4090 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 21, 2009, 11:13:43 PM »

Discuss.

I think Obama would win in a massive landslide.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 11:14:55 PM »

ROFL! I don't think this has ever been discussed. Either way, there is no need for me to post a map, as Obama would win in a blowout.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 11:19:14 PM »

ROFL! I don't think this has ever been discussed. Either way, there is no need for me to post a map, as Obama would win in a blowout.

I know. This is a silly scenario, but it is possible since Bush Sr. is eligible to run again. Anyway, I'm guessing the map will look like 2008 except with Obama also winning GA, MT, AZ, MO, and MT. Bush Sr. is actually a pretty respectable candidate (despite his age in 2012), so I doubt he would do much worse than the typical Republican candidate that year (assuming he doesn't pick someone stupid like Dan "Potatoe" Quayle as his running mate).
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 11:22:11 PM »

It's mostly his age and last name that kills him.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 11:24:07 PM »

lol

Of course he would. Didn't you consider that Bush would be a little too old by then? More importantly, why would he run?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 01:37:38 AM »

lol

Of course he would. Didn't you consider that Bush would be a little too old by then? More importantly, why would he run?

The same reason why Bob Dole ran in 1996. So that the Republicans would have a respectable candidate to go up against the incumbent president, even if that candidate was a sacrificial lamb. If Dole did not run, the Republicans might have nominated a fringe candidate like Buchanan, which would have ruined their image in 2000 and possibly caused a Gore victory. Dole had his seat in the Senate guaranteed for life, yet he chose to leave the Senate and run a race which he did not except to win for the good of his party. Now that's a true FF, even if I don't agree with all of his views.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 02:46:59 PM »

lol

The same reason why Bob Dole ran in 1996. So that the Republicans would have a respectable candidate to go up against the incumbent president, even if that candidate was a sacrificial lamb. If Dole did not run, the Republicans might have nominated a fringe candidate like Buchanan, which would have ruined their image in 2000 and possibly caused a Gore victory. Dole had his seat in the Senate guaranteed for life, yet he chose to leave the Senate and run a race which he did not except to win for the good of his party. Now that's a true FF, even if I don't agree with all of his views.

Yes but Bush would be 88 in 2012, far older than Dole in 1996. He might not even be able to campaign.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 02:52:07 PM »

lol

Yes but Bush would be 88 in 2012, far older than Dole in 1996. He might not even be able to campaign.

I know this scenario is very unlikely, but Bush Sr. wont need to campaign in 2012. He already has much more name recognition than Dole had before he ran.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 07:29:17 PM »

I don't even know if Bush will be alive in 2012... He'd be 88!!!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 11:33:32 AM »

Wouldn't be good for a sacrifical lamb anyway.

1. Probably unable to do any campaigning
2. Bush name is toxic
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 01:38:48 PM »

Wouldn't be good for a sacrifical lamb anyway.

1. Probably unable to do any campaigning
2. Bush name is toxic

I think Sr. is in pretty good health for someone who's 85. He should be able to campaign even at age 88. About the second part, I think that many people's opinions of Bush Sr. have actually dramatically improved since his son took office, since many people who thought Sr. was a poor President now think that he's great in comparison to his son.
DS0816
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 07:12:56 PM »

Discuss.

I think Obama would win in a massive landslide.

… And it wouldn't be because of the senior Bush's age (88, if he's still with us). H.W. would be considered by his party too liberal. And if you think that's nuts, consider what some have said of former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 06:35:08 PM »

Bush Sr. can't run again because he has already lost reelection. You can only serve two terms if they are consecutive according to the 22nd amendment.  If something were to have happened to his son in 2004, then he wouldn't be eligible either. Alot of ppl don't realize this rule.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 06:56:41 PM »

Bush Sr. can't run again because he has already lost reelection. You can only serve two terms if they are consecutive according to the 22nd amendment.  If something were to have happened to his son in 2004, then he wouldn't be eligible either. Alot of ppl don't realize this rule.

lolwut

That's not true in the slightest.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 07:31:26 PM »

No. You can serve up to two terms no matter what.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 01:25:22 PM »

ru sure?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 01:26:41 PM »

Positive.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 01:27:26 PM »

Yes, I'm sure. A President can serve either two-full terms or up to 10 years total. Since Bush Sr. only served one term, he can run for another term if he wants to. Grover Cleveland served two non-consecutive terms as U.S. President--I can't see why Bush Sr. wouldn't be able to.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 01:34:26 PM »

"Bush'2012 !" ? Grin Grin Grin

Obama wins easily.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 02:52:02 PM »

I'm sure Obama would easily win. No former president would ever get elected again after being voted out of office.
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 03:56:24 PM »

I'm sure Obama would easily win. No former president would ever get elected again after being voted out of office.
Grover Cleveland
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 04:16:04 PM »

lol I meant in today's world
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 04:21:20 PM »

There are still people alive right now who were alive when Grover Cleveland was President. BTW, I think Bush Jr. might have won a second non-consecutive term in 2008 if Kerry beat him in 2004 since Kerry would get the blame for the Great Recession and financial crisis.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 07:13:54 PM »

A President can serve either two-full terms or up to 10 years total.

That's true in a practical sense, but there is a loophole:

The amendment states that a person cannot be elected more than twice, or once if they're serving more than half of somebody else's elected term.

Therefore, a person could be repeatedly elected Vice President, and the duly elected President could then resign immediately and allow the VP to become President again.  That way, a single person could effectively serve as President far beyond ten years.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 09:20:16 AM »

There are still people alive right now who were alive when Grover Cleveland was President.
If someone was born at the end of Clevelands second term in early 1897 then they'd be 113 years old today.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies