Is a 3.1 GPA considered good for a freshman?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:37:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is a 3.1 GPA considered good for a freshman?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Is a 3.1 GPA considered good for a freshman?  (Read 18684 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2009, 02:25:49 AM »

You're in college and you have a course that's simply called "Math" ?

It probably has another name. At UC Berkeley, Introduction to Calculus is for most purposes known as Math 1A. Doesn't mean that it's just called Math, though.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2009, 06:27:28 AM »

It depends entirely on where you are in school.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 08:59:31 AM »

Considering it's a big transition from high school to college level, I'd say a first semester freshman GPA of 3.1 is pretty good.

Since it's clear you can do well, just step it up a bit......but it's hard with the distractions (fun) college life brings.

But you're good.......IMO
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2009, 12:55:38 PM »

I try to give as many A's as I can possibly get away with, and the rest B's.  Very rarely I do give out C's but it always makes me uncomfortable.

But if you think a GPA is going to change your station in life, you're probably doomed already.  I mean in the socioeconomic sense, not in the sense we're all doomed.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2009, 03:38:40 PM »

Is a 3.1 GPA considered good for a freshman's first semester of college?

Any opinions?

I also ask because I'm planning on transferring school's at the end of this academic year and I'm going to have an even better 2nd semester, because I'm taking more courses I perform well in overall.

I guess it's pretty good, I had a 3.3 myself. But then the next semester I turned into a total slacker and played Oblivion almost 24/7 most of the time instead of studying and it brought my GPA down to a 2.99.
So be careful, and lead yourself not into temptation.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2009, 04:41:56 PM »

You're in college and you have a course that's simply called "Math" ?

No it has another name and the same with the other subjects, I'm just too lazy to list them all.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2009, 09:35:18 PM »

sh**t, that's an awesome GPA.  I kinda went through what Duke is.  I was Engineering at Lehigh in the beginning.  I went from Valedictorian to a 1.8 and there even basic English 1 wasn't easy.  For English, I had some super Feminazi who didn't think me or the other men "dug deep enough" in our papers.  Add that to Programming, Calculus, Chemistry with Lab plus English.  Didn't know a lick of programming while other kids from the expensive public and private school were way ahead of me, I took Calc 1 for a hopeful A. Wishful thinking, so did everyone so the prof decided to make it 100X harder.  As for Chem, well what can I say I sucked at it plus my HS teacher was brutally bad so everything she assumed we knew I didn't.  It was almost the Perfect Storm for me academically.  Add to the fact I was a working class guy going to a predominately well-off school.  Yep, it was the Perfect Storm.  My self-esteem got deflated fast.  3.1:  I would not complain.     
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2009, 09:56:45 PM »

sh**t, that's an awesome GPA.  I kinda went through what Duke is.  I was Engineering at Lehigh in the beginning.  I went from Valedictorian to a 1.8 and there even basic English 1 wasn't easy.  For English, I had some super Feminazi who didn't think me or the other men "dug deep enough" in our papers.  Add that to Programming, Calculus, Chemistry with Lab plus English.  Didn't know a lick of programming while other kids from the expensive public and private school were way ahead of me, I took Calc 1 for a hopeful A. Wishful thinking, so did everyone so the prof decided to make it 100X harder.  As for Chem, well what can I say I sucked at it plus my HS teacher was brutally bad so everything she assumed we knew I didn't.  It was almost the Perfect Storm for me academically.  Add to the fact I was a working class guy going to a predominately well-off school.  Yep, it was the Perfect Storm.  My self-esteem got deflated fast.  3.1:  I would not complain.     

Sh*t that's brutal!

However how are you doing academically now Flyer?

As me I was the complete opposite I went from an academic mess in high school to doing pretty well I guess in college?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2009, 10:07:18 AM »

Sh*t that's brutal!

As me I was the complete opposite I went from an academic mess in high school to doing pretty well I guess in college?

Transfered to Temple and finished with a 3.1 in Accounting.  I'm actually taking the CPA now and passing parts.  I'll probably go on for a Masters' soon.  My high school is really only meant for guys to go to state colleges or LaSalle.  Most go to Community College, just join one of the unions, or police/fire.  Most top students who go to top colleges usually, but not always, get wrecked then have to transfer to a state school anyway. 
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2009, 10:11:19 AM »

Sh*t that's brutal!

Transfered to Temple and finished with a 3.1 in Accounting.  I'm actually taking the CPA now and passing parts.  I'll probably go on for a Masters' soon.  My high school is really only meant for guys to go to state colleges or LaSalle.  Most go to Community College, just join one of the unions, or police/fire.  Most top students who go to top colleges usually, but not always, get wrecked then have to transfer to a state school anyway. 

which hs? wood? north?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2009, 10:36:01 AM »
« Edited: December 24, 2009, 10:40:23 AM by Flyers2010 »

sh**t, that's an awesome GPA.  I kinda went through what Duke is.  I was Engineering at Lehigh in the beginning.  I went from Valedictorian to a 1.8 and there even basic English 1 wasn't easy.  For English, I had some super Feminazi who didn't think me or the other men "dug deep enough" in our papers.  Add that to Programming, Calculus, Chemistry with Lab plus English.  Didn't know a lick of programming while other kids from the expensive public and private school were way ahead of me, I took Calc 1 for a hopeful A. Wishful thinking, so did everyone so the prof decided to make it 100X harder.  As for Chem, well what can I say I sucked at it plus my HS teacher was brutally bad so everything she assumed we knew I didn't.  It was almost the Perfect Storm for me academically.  Add to the fact I was a working class guy going to a predominately well-off school.  Yep, it was the Perfect Storm.  My self-esteem got deflated fast.  3.1:  I would not complain.      

Sh*t that's brutal!

Transfered to Temple and finished with a 3.1 in Accounting.  I'm actually taking the CPA now and passing parts.  I'll probably go on for a Masters' soon.  My high school is really only meant for guys to go to state colleges or LaSalle.  Most go to Community College, just join one of the unions, or police/fire.  Most top students who go to top colleges usually, but not always, get wrecked then have to transfer to a state school anyway.  

which hs? wood? north?

North.  I didn't think Wood was that bad.  I know North's 4 Year College attendance is dismal in the high 30s.  When I went it was about 50% give or take and the average SAT's were 900 (old system of course).  Grade inflation was also rampant.  As an alum, I'm mixed on its closing.  On one hand there's a lot of tradition, sports, plus there's a big void between Roman and Judge.  On the other, the writing's been on the wall for years.  Rapidly declining enrollment, changing neighborhood where the average local family can't afford the tuition, mediocre academics, but I'd hate to see their Tech Academy go to waste.

Seriously, for any youngins on here.  Go to a place you can get a high GPA.  Law school is likely out for me unless I pull an incredible LSAT score.  If you're at a hard/'grade deflation' college with less than a 2.7 freshman year, I recommend a transfer.  It helped me out tremendously.  Oh, and potential employers don't care either.  Unless it's Harvard or Yale, it makes little difference between a tough school and clown college when it comes to GPA.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2009, 10:41:38 AM »

Sh*t that's brutal!

which hs? wood? north?

North.  I didn't think Wood was that bad.  I know North's 4 Year College attendance is dismal in the high 30s.  When I went it was about 50% give or take and the average SAT's were 900 (old system of course).  Grade inflation was also rampant.  As an alum, I'm mixed on its closing.  On one hand there's a lot of tradition, sports, plus there's a big void between Roman and Judge.  On the other, the writing's been on the wall for years.  Rapidly declining enrollment, changing neighborhood where the average local family can't afford the tuition, mediocre academics, but I'd hate to see their Tech Academy go to waste.

Seriously, for any youngins on here.  Go to a place you can get a high GPA.  Law school is likely out for me unless I pull an incredible LSAT score.  If you're at a hard/'grade deflation' college with less than a 2.7 freshman year, I recommend a transfer.  It helped me out tremendously. 

Hah. Lehigh Sucks! (obligatory alum from a certain other school comment)

Stick with the CPA track man, unless you're a Torie whiz at law and go to a T14 school (or finish in the top 25% [or so] or better anywhere else--varies on particular school), you're pretty screwed.  Not to say the jobs that you'd find are horrible or such, but if you're thinking law=mega bucks...the torie route is the only safe bet.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2009, 10:47:41 AM »

sh**t, that's an awesome GPA.  I kinda went through what Duke is.  I was Engineering at Lehigh in the beginning.  I went from Valedictorian to a 1.8 and there even basic English 1 wasn't easy.  For English, I had some super Feminazi who didn't think me or the other men "dug deep enough" in our papers.  Add that to Programming, Calculus, Chemistry with Lab plus English.  Didn't know a lick of programming while other kids from the expensive public and private school were way ahead of me, I took Calc 1 for a hopeful A. Wishful thinking, so did everyone so the prof decided to make it 100X harder.  As for Chem, well what can I say I sucked at it plus my HS teacher was brutally bad so everything she assumed we knew I didn't.  It was almost the Perfect Storm for me academically.  Add to the fact I was a working class guy going to a predominately well-off school.  Yep, it was the Perfect Storm.  My self-esteem got deflated fast.  3.1:  I would not complain.      

Sh*t that's brutal!

Transfered to Temple and finished with a 3.1 in Accounting.  I'm actually taking the CPA now and passing parts.  I'll probably go on for a Masters' soon.  My high school is really only meant for guys to go to state colleges or LaSalle.  Most go to Community College, just join one of the unions, or police/fire.  Most top students who go to top colleges usually, but not always, get wrecked then have to transfer to a state school anyway.  

which hs? wood? north?

North.  I didn't think Wood was that bad.  I know North's 4 Year College attendance is dismal in the high 30s.  When I went it was about 50% give or take and the average SAT's were 900 (old system of course).  Grade inflation was also rampant.  As an alum, I'm mixed on its closing.  On one hand there's a lot of tradition, sports, plus there's a big void between Roman and Judge.  On the other, the writing's been on the wall for years.  Rapidly declining enrollment, changing neighborhood where the average local family can't afford the tuition, mediocre academics, but I'd hate to see their Tech Academy go to waste.

Seriously, for any youngins on here.  Go to a place you can get a high GPA.  Law school is likely out for me unless I pull an incredible LSAT score.  If you're at a hard/'grade deflation' college with less than a 2.7 freshman year, I recommend a transfer.  It helped me out tremendously.  

Stick with the CPA track man, unless you're a Torie whiz at law and go to a T14 school (or finish in the top 25% [or so] or better anywhere else--varies on particular school), you're pretty screwed.  Not to say the jobs that you'd find are horrible or such, but if you're thinking law=mega bucks...the torie route is the only safe bet.

The Lehigh/Lafayette rivalry phases me none dude.  I'm getting the CPA first obviously.  Step 2 is either an MST or JD/LLM in Tax.

My friend graduated from Temple Law in 2008 and got in Marshall Dennehey.  Of course, that's insurance mal defense law.  I would obviously look at tax/trusts/estates, but possibly divorce law as well.  His one friend who graduated near the top clerked for a judge for a year and now can't find a job.  I know how bad law is in the Philly area for finding work.  Other than the booming medical field, our local economy might as well be Detroit.  

I made a good sports analogy for my academic career- I'm the Tim Couch or Alexander Daigle of Academics.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2009, 10:54:21 AM »

Sh*t that's brutal!

which hs? wood? north?

Seriously, for any youngins on here.  Go to a place you can get a high GPA.  Law school is likely out for me unless I pull an incredible LSAT score.  If you're at a hard/'grade deflation' college with less than a 2.7 freshman year, I recommend a transfer.  It helped me out tremendously.  

Stick with the CPA track man, unless you're a Torie whiz at law and go to a T14 school (or finish in the top 25% [or so] or better anywhere else--varies on particular school), you're pretty screwed.  Not to say the jobs that you'd find are horrible or such, but if you're thinking law=mega bucks...the torie route is the only safe bet.

The Lehigh/Lafayette rivalry phases me none dude.  I'm getting the CPA first obviously.  Step 2 is either an MST or JD/LLM in Tax.

My friend graduated from Temple Law in 2008 and got in Marshall Dennehey.  Of course, that's insurance mal defense law.  I would obviously look at tax/trusts/estates, but possibly divorce law as well.  His one friend who graduated near the top clerked for a judge for a year and now can't find a job.  I know how bad law is in the Philly area for finding work.  Other than the booming medical field, our local economy might as well be Detroit.  

I made a good sports analogy for my academic career- I'm the Tim Couch or Alexander Daigle of Academics.

Tim Couch...ouch.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2009, 03:56:55 PM »

When I went it was about 50% give or take and the average SAT's were 900 (old system of course).  
Average SAT scores of 900? Even on the old test, that is embarrassingly bad.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2009, 04:14:56 PM »

When I went it was about 50% give or take and the average SAT's were 900 (old system of course). 

You can say that again. I'm fairly sure every single person in my graduating class scored over 1350, which would be its new test equivalent.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2009, 04:34:46 PM »

You can say that again. I'm fairly sure every single person in my graduating class scored over 1350, which would be its new test equivalent.

Well the national average at the time was only a smidge better.  About a 960 IIRC.  It was a working class school, what can I say.  The local public school SAT scores were far worse.  My brother, who teaches in the Philly system, would be lucky to have 10% of his class even taking them and if they do actually get a score above 350 on a particular section.  I got a 1200 on the old system- 550 V, 650M, but I got a 720 on one of the SAT II Math sections. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies