When Will the GOP Consistenly Begin to win a majority of the Latino vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:46:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  When Will the GOP Consistenly Begin to win a majority of the Latino vote?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: When Will the GOP Consistenly Begin to win a majority of the Latino vote?  (Read 7601 times)
rob in cal
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 05:59:14 PM »

I'm starting to wonder if the immigration issue will be as big going forward as it is now, if our economy continues in the "jobless recovery mode", and thus attracts fewer illegals, and if the Mexican birth rate continues to drop.  If these trends continue, we might see a drop in illegal immigration and a greater percentage of US immigrants in the future would be from the legal column, which, IIRC, is much less hispanic.  And of course, my other megatrend obsession which is that as a greater and greater percentage of US hispanics are US born, (regardless of immigration trends) other issues start to outweigh the whole immigration issue.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 06:28:10 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2012, 06:32:01 PM by Senator Sbane »

And of course, my other megatrend obsession which is that as a greater and greater percentage of US hispanics are US born, (regardless of immigration trends) other issues start to outweigh the whole immigration issue.

I think that is absolutely the case right now. And yet Republicans will do much worse among US born Hispanics than they did in 2004.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 10:46:55 PM »

I have three friends who are the U.S. born children of immigrant hispanic fathers and white mothers. They are all pretty Republican (although liberal on social issues) and act pretty "white". They barely speak Spanish too. I think as more intermarriage happens, hispanics will just assimilate into mainstream "white" culture.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 02:57:20 AM »

If they were smart they'd go after it immediately. Especially if social conservatives truly wanted their causes to have a chance at regain some traction. But unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your political views, they seem to be obsessed with the immigration issue that they throw away a good opportunity to make a strong political gain.

I don't understand the immigration position of the GOP though. As long as people aren't committing crimes, why shouldn't we welcome anyone who wants to come into this country. Why have insane requirements to become residents or citizens? Aren't we supposed to be the freest country and lead the world by example?

I'd eliminate all deportation, except that of those who actually harm others. Of course I am also someone who is very fond of culture and sees America as a big mix of culture and thinks we should welcome more culture into our mix when we can. Be it Hispanic culture, Asian culture, or any other, I think it is all fascinating and don't understand this seeming fear of foreigners some Americans have.
BlueDog Bumble
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2012, 07:13:29 AM »

Republicans would be better off to go after asians, as most of them are inherently fiscally conservative.

The last three Republican Presidents (all self-declared "fiscal conservatives") were the most fiscally irresponsible Presidents in our nation's history. I doubt empasizing fiscal conservatism will win back Asian voters when the GOP have demonstrated time and time again that they are hypocrites on the issue.

More so than LBJ or Carter? Barack Obama has hardly been a paragon of fiscal responsibility.

(I agree with you on George Bush Jr, but Sr was a deficit hawk, and there were mitigating circumstances with Reagan)
hopper
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2012, 06:26:58 PM »

If they were smart they'd go after it immediately. Especially if social conservatives truly wanted their causes to have a chance at regain some traction. But unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your political views, they seem to be obsessed with the immigration issue that they throw away a good opportunity to make a strong political gain.

I don't understand the immigration position of the GOP though. As long as people aren't committing crimes, why shouldn't we welcome anyone who wants to come into this country. Why have insane requirements to become residents or citizens? Aren't we supposed to be the freest country and lead the world by example?
I'd eliminate all deportation, except that of those who actually harm others. Of course I am also someone who is very fond of culture and sees America as a big mix of culture and thinks we should welcome more culture into our mix when we can. Be it Hispanic culture, Asian culture, or any other, I think it is all fascinating and don't understand this seeming fear of foreigners some Americans have.
No but you don't want to terrorists coming into the country. Thats why you need documentation of all these people coming into the country. The GOP has made it clear that they like legal immigration. I don't get why it should take somebody 10 years to get into the country legally though. Thats something the GOP and the Dems should agree to to streamline the immigration process so its easier and faster and you don't have to go through 10 agencies to be become a legal citizen.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 04:57:59 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2012, 04:59:55 PM by phk »

They already do: Cubans, Nicaraguans, Venezuelans

They can: Colombians

They don't: Dominicans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Argentinians (the most D Hispanic group)

The key for the GOP and Hispanic vote is not economics (rich Hispanics are probably D in D-leaning states, except Florida) is trying to encourage conversions away from Catholicism to Evangelical Protestantism and Mormonism.  
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies