Will Robertson's quote hurt Bush any?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:08:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Will Robertson's quote hurt Bush any?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will Robertson's quote hurt Bush at all in the polls?
No effect at all

helps Kerry slightly 1% or less

helps Kerry more than 1%

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Will Robertson's quote hurt Bush any?  (Read 2710 times)
Reds4

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 20, 2004, 09:48:55 PM »

Curious to see what everyone thinks. Please be objective.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 09:54:39 PM »

I voted Option 2, just because I think that any negative news will hurt Bush. However, will it be anything? Maybe 0.01%.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 11:22:02 PM »

Well, seeing as a large part of Robertson's fans come from safe Bush states, it won't likely have any electorial effect.  It might encourage a few who were unlikely to vote in the first place to stay home.

I'd say a trivial, but still non-zero effect.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 11:53:50 PM »

None.

Though Michael Moore has called Kerry the #1 liberal in the Senate- on the record. That is worse than what Robertson said with regard to Bush.
raggage

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 11:54:52 PM »

None.

Though Michael Moore has called Kerry the #1 liberal in the Senate- on the record. That is worse than what Robertson said with regard to Bush.

No it isn't
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 04:07:31 AM »

People who listen to Robertson = religous nuts = voting for Bush no matter what.
stry_cat

Political Matrix
E: 6.25, S: -1.38

P P P
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 07:55:28 AM »

What did Robertson say?  I don't watch the 700 club.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 10:15:24 AM »

Pat Robertson, an ardent Bush supporter, told CNN in an interview Tuesday night that he urged the president to prepare the American people for the prospect of casualties before launching the war in March 2003.

Robertson said Bush told him, " 'Oh, no, we're not going to have any casualties.' "

More than 1,100 American troops have been killed in Iraq since the invasion.

Bush spokesman, Scott McClellan, has confirmed that Bush did meet with Robertson in Nashville before the invasion, as Robertson recounted. But McClellan said Bush always has recognized that war "requires sacrifice" and that there would be American casualties.

In a statement issued Wednesday afternoon, Robertson restated his "100 percent" support for Bush's re-election and said he began and ended his CNN interview "with my warm endorsement and praise of President Bush." But he did not back away from his comments.

"I emphatically stated that, 'I believe 'the blessing of heaven is upon him,' and I am persuaded that he will win this election and prevail on the war against terror in order to keep America safe from her avowed enemies," Robertson said.

In his CNN interview, the religious leader described Bush on the eve of the invasion as "the most self-assured man I've ever met in my life."

"You remember Mark Twain said, 'He looks like a contented Christian with four aces.' I mean he was just sitting there like, 'I'm on top of the world,' " Robertson said on CNN's "Paula Zahn Now."

"And I warned him about this war. I had deep misgivings about this war, deep misgivings. And I was trying to say, 'Mr. President, you had better prepare the American people for casualties.' "

He said that's when the president told him he did not expect casualties from the invasion.

-------------------------------------------------

Now either Robertson is lying (and he stands to gain nothing from doing so) or Bush is lying.  Considering that Bush did the whole "Mission Accomplished" number, I'm thinking it is Bush lying.

And although Robertson can call him "self-assured" I find Bush to be arrogant bordering on mania.  Confidence is good, over-confidence is foolish.  Washington, Lincoln, Wilson, Roosevelt ... they all agonized over military decisions ... Smarmy George doesn't and that frightens me.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 10:32:45 AM »

As I stated in the parallel thread to this, why would Bush say we would have no casualties when we were already incurring casualties in Afghanistan?

Robertson either heard wrong (with all the voices in his head) or he's lying.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 11:22:40 AM »

As I stated in the parallel thread to this, why would Bush say we would have no casualties when we were already incurring casualties in Afghanistan?

In a word?  Arrogance.  I think Bush really thought that Iraq would be a cake-walk.
elcorazon

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 11:27:09 AM »

none
Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2004, 02:27:18 PM »

Obviously not.
stry_cat

Political Matrix
E: 6.25, S: -1.38

P P P
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2004, 02:30:31 PM »

No effect. 

In the Bush supporter's mind we did not have any casualties in the war.  It was the peace where we are having them.  No one else pays attention to Robertson anyway.
Andrew
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2004, 03:43:31 PM »

If he did say that, it might be because he's stupid.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies