What is Gary Johnson's best path to the nominaton?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:06:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  What is Gary Johnson's best path to the nominaton?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What is Gary Johnson's best path to the nominaton?  (Read 5220 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2009, 11:02:20 PM »

I don't know, they're both closed, and Wyoming has a caucus, but you'd probably know how things are out there better than I would.

I don't get why you make an issue out of closed versus open primaries. You seem to think Huckabee would win UT just because they have a closed primary (not true, for the record), and Johnson would win SC just because of the open primary. BTW, if we were to apply that to every state, we would have....

Blue states have cacuses or closed primaries.
Green states are all others.

Uh, no, that's not the only criterion I used, which is obviously why my map doesn't look like that. Roll Eyes
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2009, 11:03:39 PM »

I don't know, they're both closed, and Wyoming has a caucus, but you'd probably know how things are out there better than I would.

I don't get why you make an issue out of closed versus open primaries. You seem to think Huckabee would win UT just because they have a closed primary (not true, for the record), and Johnson would win SC just because of the open primary. BTW, if we were to apply that to every state, we would have....

Uh, no, that's not the only criterion I used, which is obviously why my map doesn't look like that. Roll Eyes

I don't get why you're using that as a criterion at all. Roll Eyes
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2009, 11:04:21 PM »

Becaue it is a major factor in determining the electorte?

Roll Eyes
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2009, 11:04:41 PM »

OMG you are such an establishment hack!
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2009, 11:04:55 PM »

Because one would have to be delusional to think that open or closed status has no impact on primary results.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2009, 11:08:18 PM »

This is true.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2009, 11:09:14 PM »

"In the 2008 election campaign, Johnson endorsed Ron Paul for the Republican presidential nomination."

That's all you pretty much need to know about this guy.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2009, 11:10:02 PM »

"In the 2008 election campaign, Johnson endorsed Ron Paul for the Republican presidential nomination."

Again Rowan, who do you support?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2009, 11:11:07 PM »

Why does Rowan have to support anybody, particularly since there are exactly zero announced candidates as yet?  Why does anybody, in fact?
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2009, 11:11:50 PM »

Again Rowan, who do you support?

Not this guy.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2009, 11:23:37 PM »

Well, if it comes down to Johnson and Huckabee (I have a late primary Sad) I'll vote for a libertarian first time out...
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2009, 10:08:41 PM »

I am pretty sure Johnson and Huckabee won't be the only two running in 2012 for the GOP nomination. Huckabee probably won't seeing that he is enjoying himself on cable news. Johnson btw is a much stronger candidate than Paul, and might make some primary voters give him some consideration in deciding who to vote for. If I were him, I would pour tons of money in New Hampshire, slam Obama's support of wasteful spending, talk about lower taxes, and possibly pull off a win. I would look at Maine, Nevada, and Wyoming as well, and then ride into Super Tuesday with momentum to win in other states.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2009, 02:11:15 PM »

I can't comment about what states would constitute Johnson's best path.  But I think his only shot at serious consideration would be to do the following...

1.  Emphasize his record as Governor of New Mexico.
2.  Present himself as the lone moderate in a field of Christo-Fascists.

Even so, I can't see him winning the nomination or even finishing in the top five.  Former governors long removed from their executive posts tend not to fare well.  Gilmore and Tommy Thompson were utter jokes. Keating read the tea leaves and decided not to even try.  Ditto, Terry Branstad.

I just can't see it. 

Of course, we have to remember that not everyone who runs for a party's nomination is thinking solely about winning.  Lesser candidates can be angling for VP nominations or cabinet posts.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2009, 07:19:08 PM »

For every other Republican candidate to die.

Sad but true. Even though he's the Republican candidate I'd be most likely to vote for.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2009, 12:03:03 AM »

Of course, we have to remember that not everyone who runs for a party's nomination is thinking solely about winning.  Lesser candidates can be angling for VP nominations or cabinet posts.

I really can't see Gary Johnson appointed to Cabinet by a President Romney (or Huckabee, I suppose).
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2009, 12:10:01 AM »

I really can't see Gary Johnson appointed to Cabinet by a President Romney (or Huckabee, I suppose).

He may want the second slot on the ticket, though.
true liberty
Rookie

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2009, 12:18:19 AM »

he has no chance. i would vote for him if he did. really, the political climate of the day is saddening.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2009, 12:21:07 AM »

he has no chance. i would vote for him if he did. really, the political climate of the day is saddening.
Yeah, but things could change over the next few years to the point where people start demanding real change after 12 years of BushBama.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. Smiley

true liberty
Rookie

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2009, 12:24:24 AM »

Yeah, but things could change over the next few years to the point where people start demanding real change after 12 years of BushBama.

thank you.

well bush and obama are pretty much the same. what happened to withdrawing the troops? adding more? that isn't change that i believed in (or didn't believe in).

the corporate internationalists have long passed their expiration date, yet they won't go away.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2009, 12:35:50 AM »

thank you.

well bush and obama are pretty much the same. what happened to withdrawing the troops? adding more? that isn't change that i believed in (or didn't believe in).

the corporate internationalists have long passed their expiration date, yet they won't go away.

The sad thing is, there are still people who believe there was and is a difference between corporate puppets Bush and Obama.
true liberty
Rookie

« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2009, 12:44:59 AM »

thank you.

The sad thing is, there are still people who believe there was and is a difference between corporate puppets Bush and Obama.

thats because they want to believe that. its due to their partisanship and nothing else. they are so caught up in democrat vs. republican that they are blinded to the fact that it doesn't make a difference.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2009, 12:51:28 AM »

thank you.

The Democratic wing of the Republican party is somewhat preferable to the Republican wing.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2009, 01:44:52 AM »

thank you.

thats because they want to believe that. its due to their partisanship and nothing else. they are so caught up in democrat vs. republican that they are blinded to the fact that it doesn't make a difference.

It's also greatly beneficial to the corporations that people think that the two-party system offers them a genuine choice. If they realized it didn't, the corporations would be in a bind.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2009, 09:17:42 AM »

I think he should focus on New Hampshire, Nevada and the open prmary in SC.

Unless there is a dramatic shift in the next couple of years (not impossible but not likely), then these three states are his best chance.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2009, 12:51:30 PM »

thank you.

The sad thing is...I am slowly starting to see your point.  <sigh>   I voted for a liberal.  I got Reagan's 8th term.  So far, anyway...
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies