Who is optimistic about the economy?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:42:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Who is optimistic about the economy?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who is optimistic about the economy?  (Read 3006 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 29, 2009, 06:01:56 AM »

Nice article on Rasmussen survey on the economy, and just who is optimistic:

http://hotair.com/archives/2009/12/28/rasmussen-govt-workers-a-lot-more-optomistic-on-economy-than-private-sector/
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 11:55:35 AM »

The reason for this is obvious, Carl - it is always better to work for the government.

I for example work for a 'government university', and I can tell you I'd probably kill myself if I had to work for 'private industry'.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 12:31:09 PM »

the top 10% of wage earners make up 50% of consumer spending, and the bottom 90% of wage earners make up the rest of consumer spending.

are the vast majority of government workers in the top 10% of wage earners?  NO!  So it really doesn't matter that much what government workers think, they're simply a small portion of half of the overall pie.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 02:52:57 PM »

I'm cautiously optimistic.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 03:45:23 PM »

the top 10% of wage earners make up 50% of consumer spending, and the bottom 90% of wage earners make up the rest of consumer spending.

are the vast majority of government workers in the top 10% of wage earners?  NO!  So it really doesn't matter that much what government workers think, they're simply a small portion of half of the overall pie.
I want you to examine that statement you just made and reflect on what sense it could possibly make.

First, I don't think it really matters what anybody thinks, by your criteria, since nobody is spending too much right now.  I really can't fathom the point of making that statement...are you trying to say that 90% of the people don't matter?
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 03:48:24 PM »

k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 05:06:50 PM »

Relatively positive, though I still predict sluggishness for some time to come.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 06:08:14 PM »

I want you to examine that statement you just made and reflect on what sense it could possibly make.

First, I don't think it really matters what anybody thinks, by your criteria, since nobody is spending too much right now.  I really can't fathom the point of making that statement...are you trying to say that 90% of the people don't matter?

no, it's just that CARLHADEN focused in on them as if their economic opinion was macro-economically relevant enough to start a thread about, when in fact they represent a small percentage of the population and have mediocre incomes with little discretionary income.

Ever had to talk with anyone at City Hall or at the post office?  They ain't exactly the type who are going to go off and start their own business, unless it's selling dope.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 06:11:22 PM »

no, it's just that CARLHADEN focused in on them as if their economic opinion was macro-economically relevant enough to start a thread about, when in fact they represent a small percentage of the population and have mediocre incomes with little discretionary income.
Well I don't really think that was CARL's point in starting the thread (it was probably to denigrate the government as you are doing).

You must be logged in to read this quote.
That's kind of like saying the person flipping your burger at McDonalds isn't going to start their own business.  It's meaningless.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 06:38:22 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
That's kind of like saying the person flipping your burger at McDonalds isn't going to start their own business.  It's meaningless.

not in terms of consumer optimism generating more sales and higher demand. 

Example, it was said that every job at Enron generated 8 additional jobs in Houston.  Why?  Because Enron employees had high incomes with large discretionary spending...therefore, their economic optimism was extremely important to the broader Houston economy, much more so than the optimism of the postal worker.

Which is why I said the economic optimism of government employers is irrelevant to the direction of the economy...which may have been CARL's point.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 10:02:48 PM »

Around here, it seems that the government workers make a lot more than the private sector.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 11:56:46 AM »

Around here, it seems that the government workers make a lot more than the private sector.

Yes, obviously most government workers make more than most 'private' workers, but jmfcst is refering the tiny privileged minority who do (he's quite right) the lion's share of the spending.  These are mostly private privileged, not government privileged.

Think of it this way:
Rich - 'private'
Very-high earning corporate elite - 'private'
run of the mill upper middle class - ordinary professions and the bulk of the educated government bureaucracy
middle class - ordinary government functionaries, a few middle managers in 'private' industry
working class - mostly private workers, and in fact most private workers are paid very little nowadays.

As you can see if you start to analyze these things, the first thing that you notice is that the State/'private' dichotomy is rather absurd.  But certainly government workers make up a much higher percentage of the Middle and Upper Middle classes than they do of other the privileged elite or the downtrodden working class.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 04:29:39 PM »

I'm more optimistic about the economy because the economy here is doing well thanks to a major pipeline project in the region.

Sadly, a wood processing mill that shut down in 2007, while being bought out and reopened, will only employ half as many people as before. 

Overall we have several hundred workers in town from Texas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Louisiana.. and I'm sure they're loving all the snow and below 0˚F temperatures!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 12:17:11 AM »

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/12/31/car-sales-surge-in-final-days-of-2009/19299341/

An upside surprise, I wasn't expecting to occur in December.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies