How McCain collects money
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 11:12:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How McCain collects money
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How McCain collects money  (Read 5249 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 29, 2009, 07:29:09 AM »

Interesting article in The Hill:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/73771-anti-bcs-group-files-complaint-against-fiesta-bowl
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 10:45:44 PM »

How mavericky.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 01:09:18 AM »

I wish we could primary this idiot.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 01:17:12 AM »

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 01:47:27 AM »

What Arizona Republican could hold the seat?  I see this as inviting a strong Democratic challenge.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 04:39:05 AM »

Chris Simcox is running
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »

I think they meant a credible challenger.

Any word, Carl or AZmagic, on Hayworth running?
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 02:12:13 PM »

Yeah, Badger, Hayworth looks like he's tentatively in.  He's definitely exploring and he said it himself of the radio (he has a program here).  I can't stand Hayworth though because he just looks like the embodiment of democrats stereotype of a republican (pudgy, male, redfaced, shrill) plus he was involved in the Abramoff stuff (which most people have forgot - but Gabby Giffords hasnt).  My concern is keeping the senate seat away from Gabby Giffords - she needs to be stopped before she becomes too powerful.  Though I have like and dislike days with McCain, he represents the best way of holding that seat against a Giffords run (though 2010 is likely going to be a republican year and it probably wont matter who we run).   
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 06:00:09 PM »

Yeah, Badger, Hayworth looks like he's tentatively in.  He's definitely exploring and he said it himself of the radio (he has a program here).  I can't stand Hayworth though because he just looks like the embodiment of democrats stereotype of a republican (pudgy, male, redfaced, shrill) plus he was involved in the Abramoff stuff (which most people have forgot - but Gabby Giffords hasnt).  My concern is keeping the senate seat away from Gabby Giffords - she needs to be stopped before she becomes too powerful.  Though I have like and dislike days with McCain, he represents the best way of holding that seat against a Giffords run (though 2010 is likely going to be a republican year and it probably wont matter who we run).   

You make several points, which I believe need to be addressed.

First, I would currently put the odds on Hayworth running at 2 to 1.

Second, I am suprised that you base you opposition to Hayworth on "looks."  Are you opposed to Vernon Parker's candidacy because he "looks" a little like Obama?

Third, the allegations of invovment in the Abramoff scandal were purely political.  He was never charged with anything!  On the other hand, McCain was involved in the Keating scandal.

Fourth, Giffords is toast.  The idea of her running for Senate is laughable, particularly in 2010.  She's going to be beaten in the Congressional race this year.

Fifth, I hope you recover from those days you "like" McCain.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 06:47:21 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2010, 07:21:03 PM by redcommander »

McCain is a perfect example of an annoyance in Washington that needs to be retired by introducing term limits on Senators. Term limits seriously need to be introduced.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 08:35:59 PM »

Term limits are democracy for the lazy. If you want to empower lobbyists and campaign contributors even more by making members of congress lacking senority and history with their voters even more dependent on them, then term limits are the way to go.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 08:49:05 PM »

Term limits are democracy for the lazy. If you want to empower lobbyists and campaign contributors even more by making members of congress lacking senority and history with their voters even more dependent on them, then term limits are the way to go.

Yea term limits won't do the trick.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 10:52:25 PM »

The article did not suggest that McCain was a party to any of this. If he was, that would be hugely disappointing.

Giffords by the way will win re-election absent a huge GOP wave.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 10:57:11 PM »

i wish jeff flake runs
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 11:05:52 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Like Torie said, there isn't evidence in the article that McCain was aware of this.  If subsequent articles emerge implicating him, what little respect I still have for McCain will dessicate. 

I hope that he returns the money, but I won't hold my breath.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 07:00:41 PM »

You make several points, which I believe need to be addressed.

First, I would currently put the odds on Hayworth running at 2 to 1.

Second, I am suprised that you base you opposition to Hayworth on "looks."  Are you opposed to Vernon Parker's candidacy because he "looks" a little like Obama?

Third, the allegations of invovment in the Abramoff scandal were purely political.  He was never charged with anything!  On the other hand, McCain was involved in the Keating scandal.

Fourth, Giffords is toast.  The idea of her running for Senate is laughable, particularly in 2010.  She's going to be beaten in the Congressional race this year.

Fifth, I hope you recover from those days you "like" McCain.
1 - I think he’ll end up running and it will be a tossup primary – but McCain’s resources are far, wide and deep in this state and abroad, which will allow him to win.  And then, he will of course wreak mavericky revenge upon all conservatives. 

2-I don’t base my opposition to Hayworth on “looks” so much as it is him not being a survivor.  Because there are not term limits, I want someone to survive in that seat for a long time – like Kyl, like McCain, so it’s not taken over by a democrat like Giffords.  Obviously we have seen the benefit of a survivor being in the senate with the healthcare vote, just think if there were even one more democrat in the senate.  We wouldn’t have been able to even drag out the vote as long as we have.  Nelson is still turn-able for the final cloture vote after conference.  Hayworth lost in an admittedly tough year, but could have won, and didn’t do enough to win.  I don’t want him running for the senate on that reason alone.  I am opposed to Vernon Parker’s candidacy because he doesn’t just look like Obama, he acts like him from my little rumor mill – of course I need to see a bit more before I form further judgment.   What do you think of Munger becoming governor?

3-They may be but dems twist and twist and twist and here we go back to Hayworth’s looks.  Poster child of the negative image they form… Red faced, pudgy, shrill, scandalous republican

4- Good news on that front.  Marine Jesse Kelly’s doing ok in fundraising, and a state senator is about to declare for the race and resign from the state senate in probably a couple of days.  Im just saying the longer she is in that seat, the harder she will be to defeat (hey that rhymes).  Mitchell’s opponents are going to cannibalize each other in the primaries.  They are the same people as last time around and also a carpetbagger from California (Jim Ward) who I met recently.

5-I like how the media picks up on his rhetoric against Obama.  For some reason, he just says anti-Obama stuff that catches on and the media repeats it.  I also think that he was a war hero and admire him for that.  Though there are times when the media picks up on his other rhetoric “America is war-weary” – uggh.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 07:13:11 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2010, 07:14:44 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee, PPT »

I think they meant a credible challenger.

Any word, Carl or AZmagic, on Hayworth running?

Simcox is a nut.

The best situation would have been McCAin retiring and John Shadegg running for his seat. However McCain is a power hungy egotist so he won't retire. Shadegg is still a firm opponent of pork and wastefuly spending but also is stronger on Immigration.

The next best situation is for Hayworth to primary him. My motivation here is based solely on McCains support for the 2006 and 2007 Immigration bill and the likelihood that he will be Obama's got to GOPer on Immigration. With him gone and replaced by someone like Hayworth the chances of immigration reform getting GOP support diminshes significantly. Many GOP supporters of the bill in red states have been replaced by people much better on the issue, like Larry Craig who voted for the bill in 2007 got replaced by Jim Risch, who I doubt would support Amnesty. In Kansas a similar situation where Brownback who supports Amnesty will likely be replaced by Moran(even Tiarh is better but only marginally so). If we could be rid of Bennet(R-UT) and Murkowski(R-AK) and replace them both with Anti-Amnesty Republicans I would have no problem with McCain surviving, but those two are now likely to be renominated unfortunately. Also it happens that most of the GOP retirements Brownback, Voinovich, Bond, Martinez, Gregg, and Specter(running but no longer in the GOP) all supported the both the 2006 and 2007 immigration bills. All except Gregg and Bond are likely to be replaced with people much less likely to support such a farse(I am not sure about Ayote but its not a loss if she doesn't, and Blunt is not likely to win though if he did he would be someone I can trust on this issue inspite of my other problems with him).

This is not an issue of Moderate versus conservative as several moderates have okay to fine records like Jim Gerlach, Chris Shays, Rob Simmons and many others.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 08:18:10 PM »

Seconded, Simcox is a nut.  And also seconded, is Shadegg running for senate.  He’s actually the congressman from my district.  Im with you on immigration, but Im not convinced that the people we put in won’t shift to pro-amnesty positions to win statewide consistently.   Ayotte would have no motivation to support illegal immigration – its probably a non issue in New Hampshire, and if it is an issue, its because people believe they would be taking jobs from normal citizens.  I don’t think that it will hurt her for re-election in 2016 (especially if Obama is leaving office and a republican is likely to win) if she votes against amnesty.  I guess I'll find out when I move there in March though to vote for her.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 09:03:28 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2010, 09:07:38 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee, PPT »

Seconded, Simcox is a nut.  And also seconded, is Shadegg running for senate.  He’s actually the congressman from my district.  Im with you on immigration, but Im not convinced that the people we put in won’t shift to pro-amnesty positions to win statewide consistently.   Ayotte would have no motivation to support illegal immigration – its probably a non issue in New Hampshire, and if it is an issue, its because people believe they would be taking jobs from normal citizens.  I don’t think that it will hurt her for re-election in 2016 (especially if Obama is leaving office and a republican is likely to win) if she votes against amnesty.  I guess I'll find out when I move there in March though to vote for her.

No Shadegg is not going to challenged McCain. He had retired for a breif bit in 2007 because he thought McCain was "moving on to bigger and better things" but the GOP leadership begged him to change his mind and he did in fact run for reelection in 2008. I think he will likely run again in 2010 as well.

The good think is that we have so many who are former Congressman. Hayworth is a strong candidate on the issue and wrote a book which I have called "Whatever it takes", about the issue.

This website scores candidates based on their voting history. They have scores for every member of congress and the former members going back to 1989.

http://grades.betterimmigration.com/index.php3

My goal is to get 41 Senators with a C- or better.

Hayworth's score seems artificially low for some reason.

What you really need to watch out for is the Red Stater bleeding heart Christian like Brownback or the big business candidate like Tiarht, Bob Bennet(R-UT) etc, and the bleeding heart moderate. Surprisingly, Mike Castle has a B, Rob Simmons has a C, and Mark Kirk has a C-, all good scores of "rino moderates". Indeed several other Moderates have or had great scores like Lynn Jenkins(no score on the page though), Jo Ann Emerson,  Jim Gerlach, Chris Shays,  Judy Biggert etc. Lynn Jenkins was smart, she was Pro-Choice but used Immigration as an issue to say "hey we may disagree on some stuff, but on this you can trust me" and so it gave her a foot in the door of enough social conservatives to win the primary and then win the district. So the "most" conservative candidate isn't always the best on this issue like Brownback, an christian conservative who supports Amnesty.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 09:31:36 PM »

North Carolina Yankee and azmagic,

McVain had hinted to Shadegg and Flake that he might be retiring and they both wanted to take the seat he currently occupies.

I must admit that I know Shadegg and his father, and much prefer him to 'da flake.'

Magic,

McCain hates conservatives with a passion and will attack them (after the elections) at every opportunity.  He doesn't need an excuse.  He's currently on what for him is reasonably good behavior because he is afraid of losing the primary.

One of the reasons why Obama is pushing 'immigration reform' next year is to put McCain on the griddle.  If he again supports amnesty, he will lose the primary. 

Your take on JD is really weird.  JD reminds me of George Putnam.  He's not shrill, but a little bombastic at times. 
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 09:37:16 PM »

McVain had hinted to Shadegg and Flake that he might be retiring and they both wanted to take the seat he currently occupies.

I must admit that I know Shadegg and his father, and much prefer him to 'da flake.'

Magic,

McCain hates conservatives with a passion and will attack them (after the elections) at every opportunity.  He doesn't need an excuse.  He's currently on what for him is reasonably good behavior because he is afraid of losing the primary.

One of the reasons why Obama is pushing 'immigration reform' next year is to put McCain on the griddle.  If he again supports amnesty, he will lose the primary. 

Your take on JD is really weird.  JD reminds me of George Putnam.  He's not shrill, but a little bombastic at times. 
God forbid its Flake.  I can't stand him and I guarantee at the senate level he will be a McCain part 2.  Youre right about McCain.  Id like to say that Im not really a fan, I just have moments where hes fun.  I would definitely prefer someone like Shadegg.  BTW do you realize Ann Kirkpatrick doesnt even identify as a blue dog democrat and that shes the safest of the three turnable dem seats - weird.  We have a bench, I have no clue why someone more prestigious isn't running.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 11:24:14 PM »

Magic,

God forbid its Flake.  I can't stand him and I guarantee at the senate level he will be a McCain part 2.  Youre right about McCain.  Id like to say that Im not really a fan, I just have moments where hes fun.  I would definitely prefer someone like Shadegg.  BTW do you realize Ann Kirkpatrick doesnt even identify as a blue dog democrat and that shes the safest of the three turnable dem seats - weird.  We have a bench, I have no clue why someone more prestigious isn't running.

Doesn't Arizona have a resign to run law? That could be the answer.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2010, 11:40:11 PM »

Magic,

In the manuvering for the Senate seat currently held by McCain, Shadegg would (in a two person primary) crush Flake by something like 2 to 1.  Flake's only real base of support is those businesses that specialize in employing illegal aliens.

BTW, even Flake's uncle (the late State Senator) loathed him!

As to Kirkpatrick, what is less important that her opponent is that she is really angering her constituents.  She has managed to get both the Hopi and Navajo united in opposition!!!  As such, many people will simply vote for anyone but Kirkpatrick.

CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2010, 11:42:03 PM »

Magic,

Doesn't Arizona have a resign to run law? That could be the answer.

It only applies to state and local offices.

Also, if the office holder is in the last year of their term, they don't have to resign.

Finally, the law is only sporadically applied.  If it were uniformly applied, the Attorney General would have had to resign.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2010, 11:51:15 PM »

Magic,

In the manuvering for the Senate seat currently held by McCain, Shadegg would (in a two person primary) crush Flake by something like 2 to 1.  Flake's only real base of support is those businesses that specialize in employing illegal aliens.

BTW, even Flake's uncle (the late State Senator) loathed him!

As to Kirkpatrick, what is less important that her opponent is that she is really angering her constituents.  She has managed to get both the Hopi and Navajo united in opposition!!!  As such, many people will simply vote for anyone but Kirkpatrick.

I read in Hayworth's book "Whatever it Takes" that Hayworth used to represent Native Americans in his district. However the current Az-05 doesn't have any Native Americans in it. So I assume they were taken out in redistricting. It said that it 1994 he performed horribly among them but by 2000 had increased his support considerably by attending to their needs and local issues. Where was this district previously located? Are any of them in the 1st now since it is a new district as of 2002.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies