Was WWII the only major war under whih there was a clear good side and bad side?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:32:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Was WWII the only major war under whih there was a clear good side and bad side?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Poll
Question: .
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Was WWII the only major war under whih there was a clear good side and bad side?  (Read 18593 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2010, 06:28:30 PM »

Also, if you look to page 209 of Paul Rahe's Machiavelli's Liberal Republican Legacy, you see that Jefferson actually did praise Machiavelli, and that the founding of the Democratic-Republican Party was due to an opposition to the Federalist aristocracy embodied in Hamilton.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #126 on: June 22, 2010, 03:12:07 AM »

1. Hitle delcared war on the US.
That's one thing I've never seen explained btw.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
It's more like, while the US and UK involvement was needed, the SOviet Union is who won the war.

As to the general question, I disagree there was a "clear" good side. There was a "clear" bad side along with a murky baddish side, which is different from most wars which just have two murky baddish sides, and there's no denying I would have "taken sides" wherever I was, which is more than can be said of just about any war fought in my lifetime. Which is near enough the original question I suppose.

Hitler wasn't really all that bright in the strategic sense and Germany has never been very skilled at diplomacy (at least not since Bismarck).

I don't think there is very much in the way of a rational explanation, to be honest. I think he wanted to stand with the Japanese or something and in his worldview the Americans probably couldn't be much of a threat anyway.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies