The environment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:50:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  The environment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Corporations cannot be trusted to voluntarily respect the environment.
Strongly disagree

Disagree

Agree

Strongly agree

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: The environment  (Read 4946 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2004, 05:42:23 PM »

It seems almost everyone agrees. 

The true balancing point between liberals and conservatives is to what extent we need those environmental regulations, especially compared with economic development.
Cashcow

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2004, 08:06:33 PM »

^GOP slogan '08

No, just kidding. Heh. I agree to an extent - corporations are not the evil entities many believe them to be, but the fact is, nobody can be trusted to voluntarily respect the environment.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2004, 05:28:12 PM »

I voted agree, but like the Finn, I say it's unfortunate that I have to agree.  Simpson's-style hyperbole aside, I don't think big corporate fatcats get off on draining swamps, fouling the air, decimating wildlife populations, and polluting the streams, but if profit equals revenue minus costs, and you want to increase profits, then you minimize costs, thus there's no real economic motivation to install, for example, scrubbers in a smokestack.  So the Federal government steps in.  That's one thing.  But this cradle-to-grave legislation actually inhibits many would-be ecologically friendly investments, such as using the waste of one industry as a fuel in another.  I have sounded off on this before, so I'll not bore you again with the details, but our current approach to sound environment management sucks.  We need to step back from the knee-jerking politically correct cradle-to-grave waste management scheme, for instance.  Simply put, we need to consider economic motivations when writing laws aimed at protecting the environment.
English

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2004, 11:48:44 AM »

Strongly agree.
George W. Bush
eversole_Adam

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2004, 10:15:24 PM »

Strongly agree
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to: