The environment (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:15:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  The environment (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Corporations cannot be trusted to voluntarily respect the environment.
Strongly disagree

Disagree

Agree

Strongly agree

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: The environment  (Read 4980 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« on: October 21, 2004, 03:23:01 AM »

Agree is liberal, disagree is conservative.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 01:36:13 AM »

Strongly agree.

Corporations can't be trusted because consumers can't be trusted.  Even if each tissue chopped down a rainforest, you can bet that at least 10% of consumers would buy those tissues if they were  50 cents cheaper.  In addition, the consumer body at large won't react to environmental issues until they've already crossed the line into a crisis.  Government action and environmental regulations are thus needed.

I'm not militant about this, I'm just a skeptic of the free market.  I'm in favor of drilling in ANWR and off all of the US Coastlines, so I think I'm fairly moderate on the environment issue.

Good point, the failure of the free market is often that there is an inability to look forward to what is good for the long run; in a completely unregulated free market there is much more incentive to look short term than there is to look long term. There's no guarantee that you'll even survive to see the long term, so you have to do what is best for you economically NOW as a corporation in order to survive.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies