Commercialization (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:15:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Commercialization (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: It's a sad reflection on our society that something as basic as drinking water is now a bottled, branded consumer product.
Strongly disagree

Disagree

Agree

Strongly agree

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Commercialization  (Read 3770 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« on: October 21, 2004, 05:30:03 PM »

Strongly disagree. In cities, there is one primary source of clean water - tap water. Problem is there is no garauntee to it's cleanliness, it has chemicals in it, and it tastes lousy. Since keeping water that clean is costly in large quantities, and water filters are not really portable, the only logical substitute is bottled water. Since people are willing to pay for a clean, no chemical, tasty water supply there is no reason that it shouldn't be a product.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 09:25:02 PM »

Strongly disagree. In cities, there is one primary source of clean water - tap water. Problem is there is no garauntee to it's cleanliness, it has chemicals in it, and it tastes lousy.

Unless you live in Detroit.  Detroit tap water is tasty.

And so is some school's water where they add fluoride.  It gives the water a vaguely sweet taste (this may sound gross, but actually it tastes quite good)... sometimes.  And some drinking fountains taste like nails Tongue

Flouride. That's a chemical. Can cause some nasty health problems if you consume too much.

Fortunately for myself, my house has it's own well. Now that's some good water. Smiley
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 05:49:30 PM »

Strongly disagree. In cities, there is one primary source of clean water - tap water. Problem is there is no garauntee to it's cleanliness, it has chemicals in it, and it tastes lousy.

Unless you live in Detroit.  Detroit tap water is tasty.

And so is some school's water where they add fluoride.  It gives the water a vaguely sweet taste (this may sound gross, but actually it tastes quite good)... sometimes.  And some drinking fountains taste like nails Tongue

Flouride. That's a chemical. Can cause some nasty health problems if you consume too much.

Technically speaking, a lot of things are chemicals.  Did you know that humans consume two to three cups of dihydrogen monoxide on average every day?

Dihydrogen monoxide eh? I prefer to call it water Smiley. Somebody scared a lot of people by creating a website all about the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide, a lot of people got very scared apparently.....

Fluoride is in toothpaste as well John so you intake a lot of it anyway....unless you don't brush your teeth......

LOL. Dihydrogen monoxide. Yeah, that would scare a lot of people.

Flouride in toothpaste is a little different though - I don't swallow that. As I said, it's only in larger quantities that it has negatives.

Still, a lot of people in this thread have shown that tap water quality varies from city to city. Atlanta has 'ok' water, it's not tasty, but it's not terrible, I'd say it's average. I think we'd see a correlation between bottled water sales and water taste in cities.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 05:52:32 PM »

There is nothing pitiful about Capitalism.

Yup. My favorite phrase as of late is "Yay Capitalism!"

I think I could make a capitalist out of anyone using e-bay.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies